Ashford Park ES Principal's Post
July 16, 2021
PRINCIPAL'S WELCOME BACK MESSAGE
I am thrilled to introduce our new staff members to you. I have hired some wonderful professionals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to join the Ashford Park family. Please click this link to learn more about our new staff members: https://www.smore.com/3wg0b
Here are a few updates as we begin the 2021-2022 school year!
- We are up for STEM recertification in March 2022! We accomplished a lot last school year and will continue to “Build Great Minds Together." The STEM Leadership team attended a STEM retreat at the school last week and we mapped out the year and gained additional professional learning. We are excited to continue our STEM integration across the curriculum this school year!
- Update on our Specials classes (extremely excited about this): We will have two PE/Health teachers this year! In addition to Coach Tate, we welcome Coach Kelly Sklamm! We will also have German Specials for all of our non-German Immersion students. We are excited to bring back a world language course for our students!
- Our After School @ Ashford Park (ASAP) program will resume on the first day of school. Our co-directors are Ms. Kandra Thomas and Ms. Nicole Wilder. Registration information can be found below within this Principal's Post newsletter.
- All homeroom teachers will be required to send their parents a Welcome Letter and Supply list on July 26th by 4pm.
- Open House will be held, in-person, on July 28th. More detailed information is contained within this Principal's Post. This is also a time for our new students to have a look inside our school and classrooms.
- A comprehensive student & parent handbook has been developed. Please take time to read through and save this document to refer to throughout the year. Many of your questions can be found within this handbook.
I am looking forward to a very successful year! Please stay connected to the school by ensuring you have signed up for School Messenger (flyer below) and Class Dojo (you will receive this information from your child's teacher). You can expect to receive communication from me often. I send out a weekly Principal's Post newsletter on Fridays, and timely messages in Class Dojo and through School Messenger emails/texts.
I appreciate your continued support and partnership as we begin a new, fantastic 2021-2022 school year. Enjoy the last few weeks of summer break!
Leading with a grateful heart,
Mrs. Tonya E. Freeman
FALL 2021 PRINCIPAL'S ADVISORY COUNCIL (PAC) ELECTIONS
2021-2022 STUDENT/PARENT HANDBOOK
***Please download the handbook using the attachment below and save it to refer to throughout the school year.
NEW STUDENT REGISTRATION
Once you have registered, please email your online registration application number to our registrar, Mrs. Martha Rodriguez: firstname.lastname@example.org. She will return from summer break on July 19th.
RETURNING STUDENT REGISTRATION
If your child is returning to Ashford Park ES for the 2021-2022 school year, you must register them using this online verification portal. Step-by-step directions are included below. During the verification process, be prepared to upload a copy of your license, proof of residence (June/July bill statements only), and your child's medical information. The district is moving all records to a digital format.
All questions pertaining to registration and access to Infinite Campus should be directed to our school registrar, Ms. Martha Rodriguez: email@example.com or contact the school at 678-676-6702 between the hours of 9am-4pm. Ms. Rodriguez will return from summer break on July 19th.
Click the attachment below for step-by-step directions on how to complete the annual verification process.
Open House (In Person) - July 28, 2021 at Ashford Park ES
Last Names N-Z: 11:30am - 1:30pm
Come to meet your child's teacher, drop off school supplies, see classrooms, register for our after school program, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, and learn about the PTO & Foundation.
*If you ordered the 2020-2021 Yearbook, they will be available for pickup in the cafeteria during Open House.
**A Kona Ice Truck will be onsite!** A HUGE Thank you to Ms. Debbie Mayer for sponsoring!
If you are unable to come to Open House during your designated time slot, please come before 1:30pm on July 28th. If you are unable to come on July 28th, please inform your child's teacher.
ICE CREAM SOCIAL FOR PRE-K/KINDERGARTEN FAMILIES
SCHOOL SUPPLY LISTS
If you ordered the school supply packs back in June, those will be shipped directly to your house.
2021-2022 AFTER SCHOOL @ ASHFORD PARK (ASAP) PROGRAM
Our ASAP program will begin on the first day of school from 2:15 - 6:00pm each day that school is in session. The ASAP program offers the following:
- Homework help
- Enrichment Activities (Art & Crafts, STEM, German, etc)
Registration for our ASAP program will be held during Open House on July 28th. Please print/complete the attachment below and bring all forms/payment with you to the cafeteria during Open House. ASAP staff will be located in the cafeteria to accept registration paperwork and payments.
Please contact our ASAP co-directors if you have questions:
Ms. Thomas: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Wilder: email@example.com
2021-2022 BUS ROUTES
Each bus is associated with a color (red, yellow, green, or blue). Please click the document below for our school specific bus colors.
**The times you see listed on the bus routes are for the morning only. Afternoon bus routes will be sent in the next Principal's Post on 7/23.
If you have any questions related to DCSD school buses, please contact our school secretary Ms. Victoria Gramlich: firstname.lastname@example.org.
SCHOOL UNIFORMS ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED
Fridays are designated as Spirit Days. Students may wear an Ashford Park tshirt or the color green, with denim bottoms.
Parents are encouraged to use carpool when dropping off their child for school. Parents should not drop off students on Cravenridge Drive in the morning. Parents are encouraged to not park and walk their student into the building unless they have an appointment. Use the crosswalk and the service of the crossing guard on Cravenridge when walking your child to school.
- Get in the carpool line by 7:10am to ensure that you get through the line quickly.
- Be kind to the carpool volunteers that are taking their time to keep all children safe.
- Do not block the driveway of our neighbors when bringing your child to and from school.
- Sign up to serve as a carpool volunteer. It's quick, it's easy, and will only take 25 minutes of your day.
- Do not park in the handicap spots or the reserved spaces in the front of the building, unless you have an appointment or need to drop off a project.
- Do not park on the opposite side of the street and send your child across the street alone.
- Do not drop off your child in front of the school.
Below is our carpool map.
DO YOU HAVE YOUR FAMILY ID HANGTAG?
Family ID hangtags are required to be visible in your car (carpool) or hand (walkers) during dismissal.
Kindergarten/New students ONLY: You will receive a Family ID hangtag at Open House. To purchase additional Family ID hangtags, please click this link: https://ashfordparkpto.membershiptoolkit.com/home
Returning students from last school year: To purchase additional Family ID hangtags, please click this link: https://ashfordparkpto.membershiptoolkit.com/home
If you have questions, please contact our school nurse: Nurse Wedderburn: email@example.com.
Breakfast and lunch menus can always be found on this website: https://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/school-nutrition/menus/
Please contact our Cafeteria Manager if you have questions: Ms. DeJoya O'Neal: firstname.lastname@example.org.