FPHS Parent and Student Memo
September 7, 2020
Dear Parents and Students,
Okay, everyone, it's GO TIME! School is back in session!
Please, take some time to read over some "Pro Tips" to have a successful start to the year:
- BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, watch this VIDEO to learn how to access Canvas and join your classes on Day 1. Note: some schedule adjustments are still being made, so please check your schedule again before Tuesday.
- School starts on Tuesday, September 8. Please, log into your classes ON TIME via Canvas according to the "First Day of School" schedule below.
- STUDENT SCHEDULES are available through Skyward Family Access. You can access Skyward from the district webpage. Select the "Families" tab at the top. Then, select "Family Access." This will take you to Skyward. Log in. Select "Schedules" on the left side. You can also access Skyward through DORA. Once in DORA, select the Skyward icon and follow the same directions above.
- LAPTOPS: If you were not able to pick up your laptop during our scheduled times, please call 252-298- 3805 starting Tuesday to make an appointment for laptop pick-up.
- Our virtual Freshman Orientation for 2020-21 is available for Freshmen and their parents HERE. You must view the Orientation from your Student Account. Sophomores through Seniors can also access this link to watch short "getting to know you" videos from their teachers.
- PIERCE COUNTY SKILLS CENTER STUDENTS: All PCSC students will be placed in Cohort B (PM classes) so that they can attend PCSC in the AM.
- LAPTOP CAMERAS: All students are strongly encouraged to have their laptop cameras on during instruction so that teachers can monitor participation and check for understanding. Parents, if there are special circumstances that prevent your child from having his/her camera turned on, please notify teachers so they can be aware.
- Make sure you start each day like you're going to school: wake up, shower, eat, get dressed just like you would on any normal school day.
- Stay tuned for more details about materials pick-days occurring on Tuesday and Wednesday, September 15 and 16.
Stay tuned for more information and details. We wish you all the very best. Stay safe and be well!
FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL SCHEDULE: SEPT. 8 - 11
REGULAR DAILY/WEEKLY SCHEDULE STARTING WEEK TWO: SEPT. 14 (Please, note a change from the previous version of this schedule. We will NOT have Advisory on Wednesdays.)
Cohort Change Request
Parents/Guardians may request a cohort change for one of the following reasons (Note: students may NOT request a cohort change for themselves):
- The student will be providing support for sibling(s) during the assigned cohort time.
- The student needs to be in the same cohort as his/her sibling(s).
- The student needs to be in a different cohort than his/her sibling(s).
- Access to adult support is better during the other cohort time.
- The student's employment requires a different cohort time.
- Other good reason.
If you need to change your child's cohort, please fill out the following request form HERE.
We will try to honor cohort change requests as much as possible. However, we must also maintain a balance between cohorts and class sizes to ensure the best education for all of our students.
Family Support Survey: Links updated!
As we prepare for the start of the school year, please take a few minutes to fill out the form below for each of your children. Your response will allow us to make sure that we have the most accurate contact information to keep you well informed, make sure that you have access to technology and connectivity, and learn how we can better support your family during remote learning.
English LinkSpanish Link
For the latest updates and information about 2020-21 high school sports, please visit the WIAA website HERE and watch the video from Mr. McNeil below.
For the most recent modified sport season calendar, visit HERE.
As families in the Franklin Pierce School District, there are a few items you can do to help you and your child to be ready to go for 2020-21 high school sports regardless of when that occurs:
- Make sure your son or daughter has a current physical that has been completed within the last 2 years. If it expires within the next 3-4 months, we recommend getting that taken care of as soon as possible. If you have a question about your expiration date, Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your son or daughter had a physical while at Ford, we have those on file at FPHS and they will be transferred over.
- Follow the WIAA and Franklin Pierce HS on Facebook, Instagram, and twitter for continuous updates.
- Connect with coaches of your sport. Coaches have been given permission to host online meetings with current and prospective athletes. We know they would love to connect with families and athletes to be able to begin sharing important information.
Fall Coaches' emails:
- Football: Trevor Hanson, Thanson@fpschools.org
- Cross Country (Boys & Girls): Jesse McNeil, Jmcneil@fpschools.org
- Golf (Boys): Colin Horak, email@example.com
- Golf (Girls): Jeff Melvard, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Soccer (Girls): Kyle Wynkoop, email@example.com
- Swim & Dive (Girls): TBH
- Tennis (Boys): Tyler Parsons, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volleyball (Girls): Tiffany Disney, Tdisney@fpschools.org
- Cheerleading: Rebecca Matthews, email@example.com
- District Website: https://www.fpschools.org/
- Franklin Pierce HS Website
- IT Help Desk for Students and Parents: 253-298-4647, 7:30AM to 4PM.
- Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)
- FPS Breakfast and Lunch Program: www.fpschools.org/meals
- FPS Education Resources: https://www.fpschools.org/exended-closure-resources-and-information/closure-educational-resources
- Want to add Canvas to your phone? Android or iOS. Once you download the app, search "fpschools" to find our district.
- FPHS Facebook page.
- Information about GRADES and GRADING.
- Information about BUSES.
- District CALENDAR.
- Information about ATTENDANCE.
- How to access and use DORA.
COVID- 19 Resources:
- District Website: https://www.fpschools.org/
- Gov. Inslee's COVID-19 updates web page: https://www.governor.wa.gov/tags/covid-19-coronavirus
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- District resources and partners: https://www.fpschools.org/departments/family-engagement-office/community-resources
- Check with your phone and internet provider: many providers are offering free and/or unlimited data, internet etc. during the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order.
- Financial Resources: https://dfi.wa.gov/coronavirus/financial-resources