Volume 17 Issue 29 - Friday, March 18, 2022
Important Dates Coming Up
- Monday, March 21 - World Down Syndrome Day, Best Buddies Awareness Day Wear your best BLUE shirt & wildest CRAZY socks.
- Tuesday, March 22 - Best Buddies meeting, 8:15-8:35 in the Cafe.
- Tuesday, March 22 - Spring Pictures - Order forms coming home soon.
- Friday, March 25 - Beach Bash from 5:30-7:30PM
- Tuesday - Wednesday, March 22-23 - Forbes and Wellman to Conner Prairie
- Thursday - Friday, March 24-25 - Meihofer and Sanders to Conner Prairie
- Saturday, March 26 - SCE Garden Spring Clean- up, 10AM
- Monday, March 28 - SCE Agriculture Day
- Monday - Thursday, March 28 - 31 Pet Jar Penny Wars - Support the 🐓&🌾
- Tuesday - Wednesday, March 29 - 30 - Brownell to Connor Prairie
- Friday, April 1-Friday, April 8 - Spring Break, NO SCHOOL
- Thursday, April 14 - Kindergarten Open House, 5-7PM
- Friday, April 29 - Scheduled E-Learning Day. No in-person school. Login to Canvas.
- Monday - Friday, May 2 - 6 Spring Book Fair
- Monday, May 2 - Friday, May 13 - NWEA Testing Window
- Wednesday, May 11 - Fourth Grade Music Program "The Cloud Spinner"
Wear BLUE & colorful socks on Monday to bring awareness to our Best Buddies Program and for World Down Syndrome Day!
March is Best Buddies Awareness Month!
In the announcements this week, students learned what Best Buddies is, why it is so important to its members here at Sand Creek Elementary, and how they can get involved next school year.
On April 24th, the Indiana Best Buddies Organization is hosting their annual Friendship Walk. We would love to help support our state organization as well as our personal Sand Creek Chapter by raising funds to support Best Buddies and their mission.
In order to promote this, we are inviting students on Monday, March 21st to participate in our Best Buddies Awareness Day at Sand Creek. We selected this date because it is also World Down Syndrome Day! Join us in celebrating Best Buddies and our students with Down Syndrome by wearing BLUE SHIRTS and CRAZY SOCKS.
Why? Blue and Yellow are the colors of Down Syndrome Awareness and Best Buddies, and the crazy socks help bring awareness of the extra chromosome of those with Down Syndrome.
We hope you join us in the fun on Monday!
Please contact Mallory Hackett or Clarice Nolan with any questions.
3rd Quarter Report Cards
Please login to Skyward in order to see updates with your child's 3rd Quarter academic and social review for the last nine weeks. 4th Quarter is now in session and will end May 20.
Spring Picture Day is Tuesday, March 22. Only students who order spring pictures will be photographed.
🎵 🎶 Music Minute 🎶 🎵
This week, we notated Star Light, Star Bright.
Culture Club Learns about Holi
Pet Jar Penny Wars are Back - Support the Chickens and the Garden!
Also, Pet Jar Penny Wars are back! Staff members' pets will be displayed on containers outside of the cafeteria each day from March 28th-March 31st.
All proceeds go to the SCE garden and Chickie Babies feed for the year.
One penny = 1 vote (students put pennies in their favorite pet's container)
One nickel = minus 5 votes
One dime = minus 10 votes
One quarter = minus 25 votes
One dollar = minus 100 votes
The classroom teacher with the most votes wins a Popsicle party! Thank you for your support! Miss Coffman is looking for Culture Club parent volunteers to help supervise the voting during student lunches. If interested, please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office. Volunteers must have a current background check on file. Thank you for your consideration!
Garden Spring Clean-Up is Saturday, March 26
Please contact Miss Coffman if you or your family are interested in helping out! 🙂
All SCE Families, do you want to run in the Geist 5K Fitness Challenge?
Now that SCE Striders is underway, registration is open JUST FOR THE GEIST EVENT.
1. Go to www.geisthalf.com/schools and click on ‘Register Now.’
2. Click on ‘Register HERE for Geist 5k Fitness Challenge.’
3. On the next page, click ‘I have an access code’ located on the right hand side of the page.
4. ACCESS CODE REQUIRED page. Please use the access code: STUDENT
5. Click ‘Validate’ to be taken to the next page.
6. Enter name, address, phone number, emergency contact, t-shirt size, etc.
7. Be sure to enter your team name at the drop down menu!
8. Agree to waiver.
9. Feel free to make a donation to your school!
10. Add billing address and payment.
11. Click ‘Submit.’ You are all set!
ENROLLMENT FOR THE 2022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR IS NOW OPEN FOR NEW STUDENTS
Have Questions about Enrollment? CLICK HERE
Ready to Enroll? - Follow the 3 Step Process Online: CLICK HERE
To read more about Kindergarten Readiness: CLICK HERE.
Contact our school registrar, Cher McCord at 317-915-4270 or email@example.com with any registration/enrollment questions.
Current HSE/SCE students do not need to enroll for the next school year.
Please check your Skyward account and update your family's information as needed.
Honor and Excellence Awards for our Support Staff
Honor and Excellence are two of the terms that appear on the Hamilton Southeastern Crest. One might attribute these qualities to our students, and rightly so, but the same terms can also describe our staff. We honor representatives of our outstanding teachers at the end of each year through the Teacher of the Year program. We would also like to recognize representatives from our SUPPORT STAFF who demonstrate excellence in their work, particularly in a school year like no other!
We are looking for support staff employees who go beyond the normal expectations of their job description resulting in outstanding support of Hamilton Southeastern students and the Hamilton Southeastern Community.
Nominees must be Hamilton Southeastern employees or contracted employees working in our buildings. They could be from any support staff category, including: custodial services, transportation, food service, technology, grounds, secretarial, instructional assistants, maintenance, accounting, treasurers, school resource officers, nurses, therapists, probation officers, substitutes, etc. Qualifications to be nominated would include anything beyond the normal expectations of the person’s job. It could be a “one-time” act or a series of acts.
Nominations may be received from any person from the Hamilton Southeastern Community, including: professional staff, support staff, parents, students, community members, etc.
Feel free to nominate past recipients of the award. Past award winners are eligible to be chosen again.
If you would like to nominate someone for this award, please complete the form on or before March 20. If you have any questions, please contact Sharon Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to get your nomination in early - those received after March 20 will not be considered.
Thanks for your help in honoring the excellent work of our support staff!
Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZTQJXVQ
Have you observed an employee who goes above and beyond their job responsibilities/duties to make a difference? Leave them a RAVE Review. It takes 2 mins to complete but makes a long lasting impact for an educator.
Social-Emotional Learning - Week of March 14
Kindergarten: Problem Solving - We Can Say the Problem
- Students will be able to repeat a clearly stated problem.
First Grade: Empathy and Kindness - Practicing Kind Acts
- Students will be able to demonstrate two kind acts: offering to help and inviting to join.
Second Grade: Empathy and Kindness - Empathy and Kindness
- Students will be able to Use empathy to identify a kind act that they could do for a person of their choosing.
Third Grade: Empathy and Kindness - Asking Questions
- Students will be able to ask questions to determine how someone else feels and identify a kind act they might want.
Fourth Grade: Empathy and Kindness - Practicing Kind Acts
- Students will be able to with adult support, demonstrate at least one kind act they could do for others.
Would you like more information on Social Emotional Learning?
Visit the HSE District Sites to read more, or follow the links below:
Click the button to visit the HSE District Online Application for Food Service Positions.
March 7-11 is Week 2. There may be changes to the menu due to supply chain limitations. Thank you for your understanding.
Mudsock Youth Athletics Updates
Spring Sports: Did you forget to register for spring programing? There are limited spaces open for certain divisions in our baseball, softball, soccer, boys lacrosse, rugby, and track leagues. Register now at myathletics.com and we’ll see you on the fields. Learn more here. Questions? Email email@example.com.
Visit the Community Insider page linked below for all the details.