Mrs. McCann's Grade One
Weekly Newsletter: WEEK 31
Upcoming Important Dates
- Tuesday, May 9 - Gator Cafe: Anxiety
- Wednesday, May 10 - Start off to Fitness Fun (3:00-3:45)
- Friday, May 12 - Mother's Day Muffin Morning
- Monday, May 15 - Parent Council Meeting @ 6:30pm
- Friday, May 19 - Jump Rope for Heart Kick-Off Assembly
- Monday, May 22 - No School: Victoria Day
- Wednesday, May 24 - Grade Color Day (students can wear their rainbow shirt)
- Thursday, May 25 - Field Trip to Grande Prairie Children's Festival (no Fun Lunch)
- Friday, May 26 - Awards Assembly and Gator Blocks
- Tuesday, May 30 - Field Trip to Muskoseepi Park
- Wednesday, May 31 - Western Day (wear you western clothes to celebrate the Grande Prairie Rodeo)
- Thursday, June 1- Jump Rope for Heart Activity Hour
- Wednesday, June 7 - Field Trip to Down to Earth Farms Petting Zoo
Math & Art: We are continuing to talk about 2-D and 3-D shapes. We will be exploring, sorting comparing and creating different shapes. Students will be making curricular connections to art by making shape pictures.
Social Studies: We will be starting our new Social Studies Unit "Past and Present" next week. To start this unit I will be sending home interview questions for your child to ask a grandparent or an elder they are close to. These will be going home on Monday and will be due back May 19. This will give your child ample time to complete the activity.
Gator Cafe: Please join us on the evening of May 9 to learn more about anxiety and learn how you can help your child.
Mother's Day Muffin Morning: On the morning of May 12, in celebration of Mother's Day we will be having a Muffin Morning. This will take place from 8:30-9:00. All moms (if mom's can not make it, grandmothers or other special ladies are welcome) are invited to share a muffin and watch the student's read a poem. There will also be a special slideshow which will be shared with all parents via e-mail at the end of the school day. Please RSVP by Wednesday, May 10 via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Grande Prairie Children's Festival: On May 25, grades 1-4 will be going to the Grande Prairie Children's Festival. The students will be watching a combination of four different performances throughout the day. These will take place at the Legion, Teresa Sargent Hall, and Muskoseepi Park. Consent forms will be sent home on Monday. We will be needing volunteers for this event so please let me know if you are willing to join us. Please note that although this is a Fun Lunch day, we will not be in the school so please ensure you pack a snack and a lunch for your child.
Muskoseepi Park: To compliment our Social Studies Unit "Past and Present" and our Science Unit "Living and Non-Living Things" the grade one students will be spending the day at Muskoseepi Park on May 30. The students will be learning about planting things in the morning and will then be participating in an activity at the Museum for the afternoon. Please let me know if you would like to join us for the day.
Fitness Fun: To promote fitness and to enjoy the nice weather, we are offering a Fitness Fun Club after school for the next 5 Wednesdays (May, 10, 17, 24, 31, and June 7). Myself and Mrs. Esau will be running this club. An informational letter and consent form went home last week, if you are interested and have not yet filled in the consent please do so by Wednesday, May 10.
1. Best Part of Me: Students completed a writing activity in which they shared the best part of them and why. Have your child tell you what they decided.
2. Sight Words: Sight words learned this past week are "with," "if" and "get." Please have your child look for these in their library books.
3. Social Studies: Get your child to tell you about the 3 R's (recycle, renew, and reuse) and give you an example of each.