Colorful Button-Shaped Candies
1. M&M's came about because soldiers wanted a taste of home in the form of chocolate, so Mar's went after it and came up with a way to coat chocolate with a hard candy which could withstand almost any climate.
2. During the 1970's the red M&M was discontinued due to the health concern for the red die that was being used in the red M&M's. The red M&M's were then continued again 10 years later.
3. When red was discontinued in the 70's Orange took its place to make up for the lose of an M&M. When red came back orange was kept as it had become apart of the candy gang.
4. When consumers voted for a new color, while pink and purple where considered, blue won the vote and blue was added to the mix in 1995.
5. When the blue M&M came into play in 95, the tan M&M was discontinued quietly after being in the mix since the 1940's.
The M&M target market includes any consumer that loves chocolate or is a lover of candy.
The secondary market would be to soldiers across the sea as they want a taste of home.