Disaster occurred in Uttarakhand in 2013
From 14-17 June 2013 Uttarakhand received very heavy rainfall. Cloudburst came into power in Uttarakhand which caused floods and landslides, it was also due to the continuous rain and the melting of the glaciers.
As Uttarakhand is officially considered as the state which faces many natural calamities which are caused due to cloudburst and heavy monsoon rainfall. Growth of tourism, increase of unorganized roads, shops, etc are some of the man-made reasons. Several rivers are diverted through tunnels which leads to major disasters.
STEPS TAKEN BY THE GOVERNMENT
- The Army, Air Force, Navy, Indo-Tibetan border police (ITBP) , Natural Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and local administrations worked together for quick rescue operations.
- Helicopters where used to rescue the people.
- ITBP gave medicines to the people in a rescue operation.
- The local people distributed food to the rescued people.
- Uttar Pradesh government gave 25 crores.
- The government of Delhi, Haryana and Maharashtra gave 10 crores each.
- The government of Tamil Nadu, Odisha, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgrah gave 5 crores each.
- US provided further financial aid of $75,000.