KEEPING YOU CONNECTED...
We are deeply committed to offering excellent educational experiences for our students and we want to keep you informed of upcoming events, successes and happenings in GPISD.
May is STAAR and EOC testing month, we want to wish all of our students good luck on their test.
Here are a few tips for a successful STAAR/EOC Testing Week:
1. Make sure your child gets a good night's sleep!
2. Make sure your child has a healthy breakfast!
3. Build up your child's confidence!
4. Support and praise your child for their hard work!
5. Leave a special note in their lunch box!
6. Celebrate when testing is complete!
In Galena Park ISD, our students are extremely important to us and so are you. Please enjoy this edition of a newsletter especially designed for you.
Thank you for staying connected!
Save the Date!
All currently enrolled students who will be attending a GPISD school for the 2019-2020 school year are required to complete Returning Student Verification (RSV). Once again, this will be a two-part process.
1) Proof of Residence (delivered to your child's campus)- April 8-May 3
2) Online Skyward Registration- July 2019
Any returning parent who does not provide the Proof of Residence to the campus by May 3rd will need to appear in person during New Student Enrollment.
Additional RSV information can be found on the GPISD website.
Link to RSV webpage: https://www.galenaparkisd.com/Page/8303
May's Attendance Letter
Student attendance is especially important in May as students prepare for end-of-year assessments, while counting down the days to summer break.
A growing body of research shows a correlation between high rates of absenteeism and lower standardized test scores. In fact, a 2014 study by Attendance Works found that students who miss more school than their peers score lower on the National Assessment for Educational Progress (NAEP). This is true at every age, in every racial and ethnic group and in every city and state examined. This is particularly alarming when you consider the fact that student performance on standardized tests directly affects their ability to graduate from high school and could impact future opportunities for them to attend college or get a good job.
The good news is, research also shows that when we turn around chronic absenteeism, we can turn around the trajectory of a student’s academic career. By monitoring your child’s attendance and ensuring they come to school daily, we can put students back on track for success.
In addition to end-of-year testing, there are always fun events happening in May that your child won’t want to miss! Find out what activities are taking place at your child’s school this month to help encourage him or her to come to school every day. Remember, students who Attend Today, Achieve Tomorrow. Don’t let absences add up.
Spiro Amarantos Comes Home as Yellow Jackets' New Head Coach
Galena Park ISD would like to welcome back Coach Spiro Amarantos as the head coach for the Galena Park High School (GPHS) football team.
Coach Amarantos is a 1989 Galena Park High School graduate. He also attended Galena Park Elementary, Jacinto City Elementary and Galena Park Middle School. He was a three- year letterman on the varsity football team and played as a cornerback and receiver. He credits Coach Bill Cook and the rest of the GPHS coaching staff for instilling many values in him, many of which he still carries to this day.
After high school, Coach Amarantos attended San Jacinto College then transferred to the University of Houston. Upon graduation, he returned to his roots to begin a career in education at Woodland Acres Middle School eventually becoming a defensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Galena Park High School. After 15 years at GPISD, Coach Amarantos went to Summer Creek High School to coach for three years then went to Porter High School. When the position for the Galena Park High School head coach opened, it was a no brainer for him to come back to the community that means so much to him.
On Wednesday, April 17, Coach Amarantos met the players for the first time and expressed to the Yellow Jackets this is their chance to have a fresh start and be a part of the foundation to turn this organization around into the direction they want to go. He also shared the four pillars they will focus on Culture, Grit, Sacrifice and Family.
“We want to develop a culture of winning, believing in each other, service to our families and community,” Coach Amarantos said. “All of this together will allow us to leave a legacy.”
We are looking forward to the 2019-2020 Yellow Jacket football season.
Click on the 2019 GPISD SCHOOL CALENDAR link to view the 2019-2020 district calendar
Updating Your Blackboard ParentLink Information
If you are having any of these issues, the information we have on file for your child(ren) may be out of date!
You will need to provide the following information to update your ParentLink Portal:
- Your child's name
- Your child's campus
- Your child's date of birth
- Your name
- The updated phone number and email address
To update your information, you can contact the Communications Department several different ways:
1. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Call 832-386-1505
3. Call 832-386-1253
ACT/SAT Tutorial and Test Dates
April Board Meeting Recognitions
- Mr. Jordan Warton of GE Aero Energy for his outstanding leadership and commitment to the promotion, and continuous improvement of GPISD's Career and Technical Education (CTE) program
- Marylou Hernandez for being an outstanding parent volunteer at Pyburn Elementary School.
- Rocio Flores for being an outstanding parent volunteer at Woodland Acres Elementary School.
- Olga Garcia for being an outstanding parent volunteer at Woodland Acres Middle School
- The Business Services Department for earning the Association of School Business Officials and Meritorious Budget Award for the 2018-2019 budget year.
- The Communications Service Department for receiving 17 awards at the Texas School Public Relations Association 2019 Star Awards Contest.
- Blair Overman, autism specialist, for going above and beyond the call of duty to help a child in need.
- Maria Cortes, Galena Park High School student, received the Harris County Department of Education Superintendent's Award for her drawing titled "Spiralling"
- North Shore Senior High Basketball players, coaches, managers and student trainers for their outstanding basketball season.
Additional recognitions at the meeting were:
- Dawn Fisher, in remembrance of her 17 years of service to the Board of Trustees
- Galena Park ISD Librarians
Tuesday, May 7: US History EOC
Wednesday, May 8: English I EOC
Thursday, May 9: Biology EOC
Monday, May 13: Grade 3-4 and Grade 6-7 mathematics
Tuesday, May 14: Grade 3-4 and Grade 6-7 reading
Wednesday, May 15: Algebra II EOC
Wednesday, May 15: Grade 5 and 8 science
Thursday, May 16: Grade 8 social studies
May Observance Days
May 1-31: GPISD Internet Safety Month
May 1-31: Better Hearing and Speech Month
May 2: National Day of Prayer
May 3: Generation TX Day
May 5-12: National Music Week
May 6-10: National Teacher Appreciation Week
May 8: National School Nurse Day
May 15: Peace Officer Memorial Day
May 19-25: National Educational Bosses’ Week
May 22: Educational Bosses’ Day
May 27: Memorial Day (District Holiday)
Relay for Life
Friday, May 3rd, 6pm
13501 Hollypark Drive
Come out and show your support for the American Cancer Society
Green Valley Elementary 60th Anniversary
Tuesday, May 7th, 4-6pm
13350 Woodforest Boulevard
Board of Trustees Meeting
Monday, May 13th, 6pm
14705 Woodforest Boulevard
Community Council PTA
Tuesday, May 21st, 10am
13801 Hollypark Drive
Location: Zotz Education Center
Mental Health Awareness Fair
Thursday, May 23rd, 5-7pm
13801 Hollypark Drive
Jacinto City Elementary Groundbreaking Ceremony
Wednesday, May 29th, 10am
10910 Wiggins Street
ECHS, GPHS, NSSHS Commencement Ceremonies
Sunday, June 2nd, 10am
NSSHS Graduation Ceremony: 9AM
GPHS Graduation Ceremony: 1PM
ECHS Graduation Ceremony: 4PM
Congratulations, Class of 2019!
Have you downloaded our GPISD App yet?
How To Access Your Child's STAAR Scores
Did you know you can access your student's STAAR scores on the Texas Assessment Management Parent Portal?
Just go to their webpage, https://txparentportal.emetric.net
If you do not know your student's access code click on "Look Up Access Code" in blue beneath the login area. The PEIMS ID code is your student's state ID or Social Security Number without any dashes.