Lockport City School District
March 20, 2020
To all LCSD employees, families, and community members:
What a week it has been for all of us! Although we have been apart, there is no doubt that the LCSD learning community is working together through the COVID-19 situation.
Many thanks to all employees of the Lockport City School District and Aramark Food Services for collaborating with colleagues, expressing concern for each other, students, and families, and remaining calm in a time of uncertainty. This week, alternative electronic and non-electronic instructional plans were developed and distributed for students, close to 12,000 meals were provided to families, and our nurses did a phenomenal job of returning necessary medication for students to their parents.
Schools will be closed until April 1, 2020. At that time, Governor Cuomo will evaluate the status of school closings in New York State. In the meantime, stay connected with your child’s teacher and principal through email, and by checking our website and other social media accounts for the most recent updates and changes.
As we practice social distancing in slowing the spread of the virus, we may be challenged with how to maintain positive mental health. According to School Mental Health and Training Center, some tips for staying positive are below.
*Use technology to maintain positive social interactions and use these as conversation starters:
- Tell me a family story I have never heard.
- If you were stranded on a desert island, what three (foods, books, etc,) would you want?
- If you could meet any three people, living or deceased, who would it be and why?
*Maintain a regular routine to provide structure and encourage healthy choices.
- Prepare meals and eat together.
- Encourage routine hygiene.
- Keep up with regular activities.
- Schedule physical activity like walks around the block.
*Remember to breathe.
- Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Count or repeat through a phrase to keep your breathe steady. A common recommendation is inhale for 4, hold for 7, exhale for 8. If this is uncomfortable, modify the count.
*Get crafty by using do it yourself coping cards. Brainstorm ideas for things to do when stressed and draw or write them on index cards or pieces of paper.
Thank you for your continued cooperation and support of the Lockport City School District. We will remain LION PROUD and LION STRONG. Stay safe and stay healthy.
Michelle T. Bradley
Superintendent of Schools