WELCOME NEW BULLDOGS!
New Student Orientation 2020
We recommend that you bookmark the link above in your browser for easy reference!
Welcome letter from Mr. Cassady, Principal
I hope upon receiving this letter all of you are safe and ready to start the new school year. As you know it will look different as we begin classes on September 8th. I, as do all the staff at Hylton, miss seeing all our students in the halls and at so many activities. It is my desire that although we begin the year in a virtual environment, we will all be face-to-face soon. Probably still socially distancing, but together.
One cannot continue discussing the opening of school without stating this has been a different year and will continue to be different as we prepare to open the 2020-21 school year. At school, many things are still the same. We are doing a deep cleaning and preparing the building for what lies ahead. We are registering students for the virtual 1st quarter and the planned 50/50 Hybrid year in November. Because of the many changes this year as a result of the COVID-19 Pandemic, planning for the year has become more complicated and has taken more time.
This is the first communication of the year and as such, you will find it lengthy but filled with information. READ MR. CASSADY'S FULL LETTER HERE
LIVE ZOOM breakout sessions available on Thurs. 9/3
UPDATE - All recorded live sessions for Orientation are now available in the Canvas HSHS-CDHS course page modules and are accessible to all student and parent observer accounts! Don't have a parent observer account? Instructions for your student to generat you a pairing code are available at the bottom of this page: https://www.pwcs.edu/departments/Instructional_technology/canvas___zoom
MUST pre-register for all sessions you wish to attend by 9/2.
Spaces are limited to one zoom link per family.
All students/parents welcome, but priority will be given to NEW Hylton families.
All sessions will be recorded and made available for those unable to attend.
9:00 a.m. - Coffee with the Counselors (Director of School Counseling, Christina Langley)
- Supporting your student in this new virtual environment
- Social-emotional learning and mental health
10:00 a.m. - New CISL Student Orientation with Coordinator, Betsy Campagna
- Explanation of CISL Coursework
- Discussion of CISL activities and earning points in a virtual environment
- Meet Parent Boosters and Current Student Officers
10:00 a.m. - New TV Productions Student Orientation with Coordinator, Mirachelle Canada
- Explanation of TV Coursework
- Learn about what differences you can expect in virtual vs. in person environment
- supplies needed for success
11:00 a.m. - New student-athletes Q&A with Director of Student Activities, Sal Colangelo
- State of VHSL
- Out of season
Open to the first 300 participants. To receive the session zoom codes by email, please click here to register no later than Wed. Sept. 2: https://tinyurl.com/y3exdsd9
12:00 p.m. - SIGNET (Gifted Program) Orientation with Ms. Lane & Ms. Guidry
- What do services at the high school level look like?
- Seminar format in the virtual vs. in-person environment
- How to connect with us
Meet the Admin Team!
Click on their name below to watch a brief intro video!
David J. Cassady, Jr. – Principal (Meet Mr. Cassady & learn a bit about Canvas/Zoom)
Tony Switzer - Assistant Principal for A - C
Stan Jones - Assistant Principal for D - K
Betsy Campagna - Assistant Principal for L - Q; Coordinator: CISL Program
Lee Holland - Assistant Principal for R - Z
Kim Nye - Administrative Intern
Sal Colangelo - Director of Student Activities
Meet your Counselor! Click on their name below to watch a brief intro video!
Barry Smith – Counselor for last names A – B
Laurie Covington – Counselor for C – F
Christy Genova – Counselor for G – Ki
Megan Pomfret – Counselor for Kl – Ne
Nicole Pitre – Counselor for Ng – Sam
Holly Banner – Counselor for San – Z
Michaella Beatty – Counselor for ESOL Levels 1 – 6
Ingrid Puna - Counseling Secretary
Brittany Testerman – Registrar
Suzanne Fouche – School Psychologist
Rachel Perkins – Social Worker
Sarah Smith – New Horizons Therapist
Sharon Tudor – Testing Coordinator
Fatima Samha - School Counseling Intern
More Welcome Videos & Special Programs Info
Cabinetmaking - Meet Mr. Ehman & learn a bit about your 1st year in this Program.
English for Speaker of Other Languages (ESOL) - Meet. Ms. Ruth and hear about our ESOL Program here at Hylton. Inglés para hablantes de otros idiomas (ESOL) - Haga clic AQUÍ para conocer. Sra. Ruth y escuche sobre nuestro programa de ESOL aquí en Hylton.
Special Education - Meet the Special Education Dept. and help us get to know your student better!
PWCS Student School Board - Meet our Student Reps, learn more about how you are represented, and find out how to make your voice heard!
How to find your class schedule - avail. Sept. 4
Log in at StudentVue.pwcs.edu
Having trouble? Here are some tips:
Make sure you are logging in at StudentVue.pwcs.edu Do not just google "StudentVue" you may end up on the wrong website for another school district.
Make sure you are using your WHOLE email email@example.com
Type carefully: some students are putting a space after the username before going to the password field. This results in them not being able to sign in
Still can't get in after all of this? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
What do I do on the first day of school – Sept. 8, 2020?
Prepare BEFORE the First Day of School
- Start going to bed and getting up a little earlier each day
- Organize school supplies
- Set up your dedicated learning space (as much as possible, try to ensure it is free from distractions and clutter, has good lighting, access to needed supplies, an outlet for charging devices, a solid writing surface and comfortable seating)
- Know your class schedule
- Practice logging in to your @pwcs-edu.org email, Canvas, and Zoom
- Resolve any problems with your password BEFORE the first day! First, try resetting it at: password.pwcsbackpack.com. If that doesn't work, then email Mr. Jones at email@example.com
- All students have been enrolled in the practice "Passport to Canvas course", which they can see on their Dashboard
What do I do on the first day of school – Sept. 8, 2020?
- Get up early
- Get dressed – you’ll feel more “together” if you are work & camera ready
- Eat a healthy breakfast
- Let your family take that “First Day of School” picture that they probably want you to – you will all want to remember this years from now!
- Check your @pwcs-edu.org email
- Log in to Canvas at least 15 minutes before your first scheduled zoom class meeting of the day so you can check for messages or announcements from your teacher
- Have a “paws”itive attitude and patience!
Health & Safety
CLICK HERE to hear a message from our School Nurse, Ms. Marsha Atkins
Finally, our Security Team is working hard daily in the building to help us design and implement signage, traffic patterns and other social distancing measures for the second quarter of instruction which, consistent PWCS plans, has the goal to transition to a 50% capacity model, with the option for students to remain virtual. https://www.pwcs.edu/news/what_s_new/preparing_for_the_2020-21_school_year
Application for 2020-21 Free/Reduced lunch (MUST reapply every year!)
Meals are available for free or reduced prices for eligible students in PWCS. To receive these benefits you must apply for meal assistance each year.
- To apply online, please visit https://pwcsnutrition.com/
Comidas están disponibles gratuitamente o por un precio reducido para los estudiantes de PWCS que califican. Para recibir estos beneficios, ustedes tienen que aplicar para asistencia alimenticia cada año.
- Para aplicar por internet, visite el siguiente vínculo: https://pwcsnutrition.com/
- Parents can access this application for student grades and attendance information. We recommend parents download the ParentVUE app for their phones, tablets, etc.
- Parents can reset their password, if necessary.
- For parents who do not have an account, please contact the Hylton Registrar Ms. Brittany Testerman.
- Para los padres que no tienen una cuenta, comuníquese con la Sra. Ingrid Puna para obtener ayuda en español.
Get Involved and CONNECT with other parents - Join Boosters groups!
President: Adriane Miller
Co-Presidents: Sharon McPike and Cherise Sarager,
Center for International Studies and Languages (CISL) Boosters
President: Amy Black
President: Ms. Unrath
Treasurer: Lynn Carmon
President: Siobhan Quinter
President: Nicole Kegler