Tonasket School District
Weekly Update ~ 10/1/2021
SCHOOL DISTRICT GOALS:
Powerful Teaching and Learning
- October is National Principal’s Month. I do not think there has ever been a time when being a principal has been as difficult as over the past months. We have an incredible team of administrators at Tonasket Schools, and I encourage you to reach out to our team and share your appreciation for them. There is not a group of administrators that I would rather work with!!!
- The WASA Fall conference was held on Monday and Tuesday. The focus was on social-emotional health for staff and students. We had several great speakers, and it was great to be with other superintendents to share our successes and struggles as we lead through this interesting time.
Staff, if you have not turned in your COVID exemption paperwork or shown your proof of COVID vaccine to Mindy in the DO please remember that you only have a few more weeks to meet this requirement. Please call me or email me if you have any questions about this.
District Culture and Climate
- I was able to help out and sub in the HS one day this week. I have to say it was wonderful to be face to face with students. I am so impressed by how respectful and helpful our students were. When I subbed in other School Districts many years ago, I rarely had such a positive response from students!
- The elementary students are at it again! Six more classes have filled their Tiger Paw containers. Thank you, Tiger Cubs, for being:
College, Career, Life Readiness
I am sad to report that the Gear Up grant proposal submitted by CWU was not accepted. This means that our Gear Up grant is over. The grant provided many opportunities for our staff and students, and I am very sorry to see it go. Suzette Ellis, our current Gear Up coordinator, hired by CWU, was part of this grant and will no longer be in that role. Her last day was yesterday. Thank you, Suzette, for all you have done for our students!! Hopefully, in the near future, we can be part of this grant again.
Parent and Community Engagement
The next “Supt’s On” with the community is on Wednesday, October 6 from 6-7 PM for the English language and October 7 from 6-7 PM for the Spanish language session. I plan on talking about COVID, Critical Race Theory, and the upcoming levy.
- Supt's On with the Community Virtual Meeting - Spanish Session
Thursday, October 7 · 6:00 – 7:00pm
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/rob-huwt-pzh
Or dial: (US) +1 475-328-0497 PIN: 656 314 758#
- Teunis Rietveld has accepted the position of School Garden Coordinator. We still have some scheduling to work on as it relates to his current work with the district, but it is great to have someone on staff to coordinate our school garden!
- We have started to advertise for a COVID Testing Coordinator to help with managing our COVID response, communication, and testing. This is a one-year grant-funded position.
FYI North Valley Hospital District is now scheduling Booster Doses for certain patient groups. For more information, you can call their clinic at 486-3191.
Positive COVID Cases for staff and students since the start of the school year 90