Pella Middle School
News from August & September, 2019
- 9/27 - HOMECOMING Dance from 3:15 - 7:00 @ Pella Middle School
- 10/2 - 90 Min PD Early Dismissal
- 10/7 - 3:30 - 7:00 Parent Teacher Conference (Please Join Us!)
- 10/9 - 90 Min PD Early Dismissal
- 10/15 - Two hour early dismissal for Elementary PTC
- 10/16 - Picture Retake Day
- 10/17 - POSSIBLE Pella Corp tour for 8t grade students from 8:30-10:30
- 10/17 - Two hour early dismissal for Elementary PTC
- 10/18 - NO CLASSES
- 10/23 - 90 Min PD Early Dismissal
- 10/25 - End of Quarter 1
- 10/28 - Quarter 2 Start
- 10/28 - Academic Eligibility Report Day
- 10/30 - 11/12 - Academic ineligibility period for any students with a failing grade
- 10/30 - 90 Min PD Early Dismissal
- Quarter 1 GRADES published to the portal at 4:30 p.m.
- 11/1 - Quarter Reward Day 1:15 - 3:15
Homecoming Dance Details
- Students may store their items in their academic lockers during the dance.
- Students will not be able to get back into the building after the football game, so they will have to bring their items in a backpack to the game or have parents/guardians pick up any items they do not want to take to the football game.
- Unless students are headed to the football game, students will not be allowed to leave early (before 7:00) without parent/guardian permission/confirmation.
- Mrs. Schulz will confirm with parents/guardians where students are leaving and/or if it is okay with you for them to leave.
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) Goal 2019 - 2020
Building Lead Goal: Staff will increase positive climate responses from 75% - 80% on the following question: overall, how positive is the working environment at your school?
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is our primary focus this year, and the Casel Competencies below will serve as a backbone to our work. We believe the five competencies in the center will strengthen our student and staff sense of belonging and relationships at Pella Middle School and in life.
Pella Middle School Welcomes New Staff
Haley Bjustrom (formerly Chapman) - 8th Language Arts
Montana Crawford - 5-12 Orchestra Director
Morgan Ernst - MS Math & JI Science, MS Volleyball, & HS Wrestling
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org When Your Student is Sick or Not Coming to School
Also, please ask your student if the office is aware if he/she is calling or texting home to inform you they are sick. We have a certified nurse, Mrs. Emily Craig, on staff to support students when they are not feeling well, and we would like for her or one of our office team members to let you know if your student needs to come due to illness.
Thank you to Sheri Cunningham, from the Pella Redemption Center, for her generous donation of $700 towards the Middle School activity center! She plans to use the outside can drop at the redemption center again this Fall to see if she can match or beat this donation effort. Thank you again, Sheri!
Grades - I don't know what my student's grade is?
Middle School Conversion Chart - Turning Standards into Letter Grades
Friendly Reminder - Homework and Missing Work Expectations
Students with three/more missing assignments in the same class will be asked to stay for study table after school (typically from 3:15 - 4:00 and on Wednesdays 1:45 - 3:15)
Students with five/more missing assignments in the any classes will be asked to stay for study table after school
Mike Buchheit, Pella Real Estate Services, spoke with FCS Consumer students about the importance of saving money for their future.
Pella "Pride" Apparel Needed
PEER P.E. students take an opportunity to enjoy the nice weather.
Calling All Middle School Band Polos
Pella Pride Poster Contest
Counselor Connection - Mrs. Jourdan Van Wyk
Let me introduce myself, I am Jourdan Van Wyk. I’m originally from Marion Iowa, a graduate from Central College and later Drake University, I am so excited to be back in Pella working with students here at Pella Middle School. I live in Monroe with my husband, Dirk and our two boys. Raising our children and animals on the family farm brings us a lot of joy.
These first weeks have gone very well! I will be facilitating several small groups throughout the school year as part of our Social Emotional Behavioral Mental Health (SEBMH) curriculum available to all students. These groups include topics on new student acclimation, empowerment, divorce, emotion regulation, anxiety, grief, and attendance. One of the things I enjoy most about my work is getting to know our students and their families. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with any questions, concerns, or just to say hello.
Jourdan Van Wyk
Download the Box Tops for Education Mobile App!
New Box Top labels can be claimed by scanning your receipt using the Box Tops for Education mobile app. If you still have the traditional Box Top clips at home, be sure to send them to school. Clipped box tops can be redeemed until their expiration date.
Visit BoxTop4Education for more information.