MAP-Works How-To Guides
How to Send a Referral
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a referral?A MAP-Works referral is a request for action. The two most common categories of referrals are academic performance and class attendance.
What happens once I send a referral to the Retention Office?
Our office works to contact students within 48 hours of a referral being submitted. If we set up a meeting with a student, it will be a one-on-one meeting with Jamie or Ben. We use appreciate advising techniques to help show students their options, as well as connect their behavior to their performance. After we have contacting the student, we will alert the faculty/staff member of our progress.
What is the difference between a Private and Public referral?
MAP-Works always defaults to the most private setting, and we see this in the referral aspect. If you select Private, only you and the person you assigned the referral can see it. By selecting Public, only the direct connects to the student can see the referral. Direct connects include their advisor, instructors, and campus resources.
Note: If the student you are searching for doesn't appear, please contact the Retention Office. Common issues are the student is a visiting, graduate, or post-bachelor student.
- Add a comment. In the blank area, write a detailed account of the situation.
- Select a Category. This helps the university run reports to see what are the issues faculty and staff are submitting referrals.
- Assign to. Who would you like to take action? Select their name... not yours. We suggest selecting "Your campus' Central Referral Coordinator.
- Questions. The four questions help the receiver know how you, the sender, would like the referral to be handled.
- Interested Parties. This is a new feature in MAP-Works. It allows you to attach people who might be interested in the content of the referral.
- Private or Public. We recommend to use your best judgment. Our office rarely uses Private unless it is a very personal (often Counseling) issue.
- Once you are finished, select Save.