Druid Hills High School
Spring Break Week at a Glance
Spring Break: April 3-7 (Students return on April 10)
Spring Break Main Office Hours
Monday (4/3) and Tuesday (4/4) 8:30am-12:30pm
Wednesday (4/5) thru Friday (4/7) Building closed
*Please note there will be no bathroom and drinking fountain access in the Main Building on Monday and Tuesday due to scheduled maintenance*
Please donate your old newspapers to the Art Department. We will turn your trash into art!
Druid Hills High School's Prom "Under the Sea" is on Saturday, April 15 at the Georgia Aquarium from 7-11pm
- Guest tickets will be $50. Tickets will go on sell Monday, April 10th and will be sold during lunches only. Guest tickets can be paid in cash or money order only. There will also be no refunds issued.
- Juniors and Seniors must have paid their respective dues in order to attend prom.
- Student can only bring one guest. Guest that do not attend DHHS must not be older than 21 years of age.
- Parking fees are not included in the prom tickets
- All Juniors/Seniors and their guests will have to sign a prom contract which now also requires a photocopy of a school or government approved ID (prom dates must also provide a photocopy of their ID). Contracts should be completed and returned (including photocopy of ID) when you purchase tickets the week of April 10 - 14th.
- The prom ticket does include the price of pictures from the photobooth (with props). As of now, plan to bring money if you want studio photographs.
- Voting on Prom King/Queen will take place Wednesday, April 12th
International Skills Diploma Seal
The International Skills Diploma Seal is awarded to graduating high school students who complete an international education curriculum and engage in extracurricular activities and experiences that foster the achievement of global competencies. It is a signal to employers and higher education institutions that a student is prepared to participate in the global economy.
Druid Hills High School is the only school in DeKalb County and one of eighty schools statewide eligible to award a diploma seal to students meeting the criteria:
- At least three credits in the same world language and/or ESOL
- At least four credits in courses determined to have an international focus, such as international economics, world/non-US history, world geography, etc.
- At least four extracurricular activities and experiences with global themes and/or in global contexts (e.g., exchange programs, international and language clubs, travel abroad)
- Twenty hours of community service involving a global/cross-cultural public service project
- Capstone presentation on the knowledge gained in the courses and activities listed above
Interested students should complete and return the ISDS application to the Main Office by Friday, April 14. There will also be an interest session Monday, April 10 at 8:30am in the Theatre. Please direct students to contact the Main Office with any questions.
Equal Opportunity Schools - Lead Higher Initiative
We will be holding an interest meeting for current 10th and 11th grade students interested in taking AP, IB or Move on When Ready at 8:30am on Wednesday, April 12 in the Media Center.
DeVry University @ DHHS
We are super excited to be partnering with DeVry University to rising juniors the opportunity to enroll in the DeVry University Advantage Academy dual enrollment program. Selected students have the opportunity to earn an Associate of Science degree in Network Systems Administration while enrolled (and taking all DeVRY & DHHS courses) at DHHS their junior and senior years.
We are currently recruiting our rising juniors to start the program in the fall. There will be an informational program for the students when we return from break, Thursday, April 13 at 10 AM.
Please contact Mr. Joyner with any questions about the program.
Career Day - May 4th - Guest Speakers Needed!
Red Devil Recognitions
- Congratulations to Elham Nuri (center), Druid Hills High School's 2017 STAR English Learner
- Congratulations to Ms. Permetrice Jackson, whose booklet, Effective Prayers in Jesus' Name, is available on Amazon
- The Red Devils beat Luella last week 2-0. Excellent goals from Jimelle and Ellie J, with just as nice assists from Indigo and Savannah. It was a dominant effort by the entire team.
- The Red Devils also won last night's game against North Clayton 9-0. There were seven different goal scorers led by Bella and Jimelle with 2. Indigo, Christina, Savannah, Helen and Abby also scored. Five different players had assists including Ellie J. Marina kept the shutout with a save. More excellent play from Campbell, Maya, Jenny, Ellie W, Cate and Melina. Keep pushing ladies.
Congratulations to the track team for their outstanding performance at the DeKalb County Varsity Championship meet! The boys team placed 6th in the county, and the girls team placed 10th. Top performances include:
- Genevieve Ferrara - 2nd in the 800m (#1 freshman in the county), 7th in the 3200m
- Ermias Tewolde - 3rd in the 1600m
- Aija Wall - 3rd in the 300m hurdles
- Emanuel Faria - 4th in the 800m run
- Boys 4x100m relay - 6th (Ruben Taylor, Kenyon Blackshear, Clark Sheppard, Shavar Bernard)
- Boys 4x400m relay - 6th (Shavar Bernard, Kenyon Blackshear, Ruben Taylor, Clark Sheppard)
- Carter Rathur - 7th in the 1600m
- Romylee Saint Cloud - 8th in the 300m hurdles
Let’s congratulate our Girl’s Golf Team on its outstanding performance at the 2017 DeKalb County Golf Tournament held yesterday at Sugar Creek Golf & Tennis Course. First, I would like to highlight Hailey Crosby terrific performance. As a freshman, she placed 4 th in the golf tournament with 30 other golfers. And congratulation also goes out to Aujenay Easley, who played her best match. She was the only golfer in her group that qualified to continue playing the remaining 9 holes. And as the team moves forward, I would like to wish them WELL at its next stop, the “Area Championship.
Applerouth Spring Mock SAT (FREE) & Course Information
Prepare for the SAT in an interactive Workshop where students learn the major concepts and strategies needed to master the exam. Class price includes group instruction, all materials, and a full-length practice test under simulated testing conditions. Parents will receive an email after every session detailing what was covered. Workshop price: $149
To register for the SAT workshop, go to applerouth.com/signup and enter the event code
To register for just the FREE SAT mock test, go to applerouth.com/signup and enter the event code M248584
PTSA Teacher of Excellence Award - Request for Nominations
It's time to nominate a special teacher that has made a difference for the Druid Hills High School 2017 Teacher of Excellence Award!
The selected teacher will receive $500 in cash, their name on the school marquee and a certificate at the Annual Teacher Appreciation party to be held in May.
All nominated teachers will receive recognition - so this is an excellent way to spread the word about all of our amazing faculty and give teachers the praise they deserve. All teachers are eligible except for the most previous winners, last year, we honored the incredible Henrietta George. The year before we honored Ms. Johnston.
We encourage all students and parents to send us nominations. Please let us know one or more specific ways in which your nominee demonstrates his or her excellence in the classroom and dedication to our students. All nominations will be reviewed by the PTSA Board and will take into account the description of the teacher's excellence, the number of nominations, and a variety of other factors.
Deadline for submissions: Friday, April 21, 2017
Please Email submissions via this link and include the following:
- Your name (first and last, please)
- Teacher you are nominating
- Student name and current grade
- Class(es) teacher taught and grade
- Teacher's excellent qualities or abilities that caught your attention or meaningful contribution they have made to the school or a student
DHAA Spring Crawfish Fundraiser - April 22
Our Spring Crawfish fundraiser for the Druid Hills Athletic Association is set for April 22.
Open to all parents, teachers, and coaches, this event offers all the food, fun, live music and drink you can enjoy at a very reasonable price.
All proceeds go to our student athletes in their endeavor to achieve greatness.
Please visit druidhillsathletics.org to get more details and to sign up. Or pay at the door.
It's always a very fun evening - ask anyone who's attended one in the past.
NEHS Books for Africa Drive
The National English Honor Society students will be conducting a Books for Africa drive the week of April 17-21. NEHS has raised the money to ship 2,000 pounds of books, so we're really hoping to have a successful collection!
*Students donating books will be asked to put a slip of paper with their name on it into each book. At the end of the drive, one name will be drawn and that student will get a $50 gift card to Chick Fil A!
April 3 - 15th
Tuesday, April 4
V Baseball @ Woodward 4:30p
Wednesday, April 5
V Baseball v Woodward 5:30p
Friday, April 7
VB Lax @ Maynard Jackson 6p
Monday, April 10
International Skills Diploma Seal Meeting 8:30 Theatre
Baseball @ Salem 5:30p
Golf v Stone Mountain 4p Stn Mtn Park
Tuesday, April 11
5th Period & Study Hall
Nathan's Drivers' Ed 3:30p
VG Soccer v Cedar Grove 5:30p Avondale
JV Baseball v Tucker 5:30p DHMS
VB Lax v SWD 6p DHHS
Track @ Heritage 4p
Wednesday, April 12
V Baseball v Salem 5p DHMS
Ultimate Frisbee 7p
Thursday, April 13
5th Period & Study Hall
DeVry Dual Enrollment Information Session 10am Media Center
Nathan's Drivers' Ed 3:30p
Golf v Lithonia/Stone Mountain 4p Stn Mtn Park
V Baseball @ Salem 5:30p
Ultimate Frisbee 6p
V Soccer @ Woodward 7:30p
Saturday, April 15
VB LAx v Evans 1p Adams
Prom 7-11p Georgia Aquarium