Fork Shoals Library Ledger
December 2016 Newsletter
South Carolina Authors @ Fiction Addiction
South Carolina children's authors Melinda Long and Kate Salley Palmer will be signing copies of their Christmas books, The Twelve Days of Christmas in South Carolina ($7.95) and I Know Santa Very Well ($6.95), at a book signing on Take Your Child to a Bookstore Day, Saturday, December 3rd, from 11am-Noon, at Fiction Addiction.
This event is free and open to the public. Books may be purchased online, at the store, or by calling Fiction Addiction at 864-675-0540.
Swamp Rabbits Scholars Book Club
Each participating student will use the provided bookmark to keep track of their success. Teachers will track the progress of their class on a poster and be asked to hand it in by Friday, December 16th. The top three (3) schools with the most participation will be awarded a Swamp Rabbits appearance where Swamp Rabbits players/mascot will read and play with the kids!
Students are also encouraged to take part in a book drive on the night of the game. The donated books will be given to the “Friends of the Library” and sold at their annual book sale. All proceeds from the book drive will benefit the Greenville County Library System.
If they bring three (3) or more children’s books, new or gently used to donate, they will receive one (1) BOGO (Buy One, Get One ticket voucher to a future Swamp Rabbits game). There will also be a FREE post game skate that Sunday evening with the players.
Second Quarter Reading Challenge
How do you record reading?
Students have received reading logs, but you can also print out a reading log here. List books as you complete them. Remember that books can be counted only once, and only books finished should be recorded.
Battle of the Books
- Anybody Shining by Frances O'Roark Dowell
- Dash by Kirby Larson
- The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing by Sheila Turnage
- Masterminds by Gordon Korman
- The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
- Pack of Dorks by Beth Vrabel
- Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin
- Rescue on the Oregon Trail by Kate Messner
- The Rookie Bookie by Wertheim and Moskowitz
- Saving Kabul Corner by N.H. Senzai
Fork Shoals’ Battle of the Books team will train to compete against other teams in Greenville County. There will be two competition dates: the regional competition and district finals. Both of these events should take place in late March or early April, and will be held off-site in the evening.
Battle of the Books practices will begin on November 29th, and will be held every Tuesday afternoon (with the exception of Book Fair week) from 2:30 to 3:00. We will add Wednesday morning practices, 7:30-7:55am, beginning in January. The team will practice on Tuesday and Wednesdays through regional and/or district competition.
Are you interested in participating in this year's Battle of the Books competition? If so, check out the information below!
- Fill out a registration form by November 28th.
- Read the ten Battle of the Books titles.
- Be available for practices--starting in December--on Tuesdays, 2:30-3pm, and Wednesdays, 7:30-7:55am.
- Members need to have at least three of the books read by our first practice.
- Only students who have read all ten books will be eligible for the competition team (final five).
*If the number of students participating exceeds the required number for a school team (5), it may be necessary to assess which students are most knowledgeable about the books through a written evaluation or a school competition round determined by Ms. Knight.*
South Carolina Book Award Program
Click here for a handy checkoff sheet to keep track of your Book Award reading.
YouTube Channel for the Fork Shoals Library, featuring school videos and book trailers for the South Carolina Picture and Children's Book Award nominees.
Dates to Remember:
- December 2 - Spirit Day
- December 5 - Faculty Book Club, 3:15pm
- December 6 - Chick-fil-A Night
- December 7-13 - PTA Holiday Shop
- December 12 - PTA meeting & 2nd grade play, 6:30pm
- December 15 - Moe's Night
- December 16 - Spirit Day
- December 17-January 1 - Winter Break