By: Carter Venable
- There are 3 main eating disorders: Bulimia Nervosa, Anorexia Nervosa, and Binge Eating Disorder.
- An eating disorder is categorized as a mental illness where there is an unhealthy relationship with food.
- Someone who suffers from an eating disorder often struggles with body image and disrupts their normal activities with unusual eating habits to alter their appearance.
- At least 14 million Americans suffer from an eating disorder.
- Nearly half of all Americans personally know someone with an eating disorder.
- Anorexia Nervosa is the 3rd most common chronic illness among adolescents
- Anorexia Nervosa has the highest mortality rate of all mental illnesses;
- between 10 and 20% die.
- The number of children under the age of 12 admitted to the hospital for eating disorders rose 119% in less than a decade.
- Eating disorders account for 4% of all childhood hospitalizations.