Cahill Class News
A class of readers and leaders
03/17/15 What we are Learning this Week!!
- This week we are continuing to work on our Novel Tuck Everlasting. are going to be working on using text evidence to infer traits of each character. We are also going to continue looking for signposts in our novel.
- I can compare and contrast two or more characters or settings in a story.
- I can accurately quote from the text when making inferences.
We will be immersing ourselves into argumentative essays. This week we will be looking a variety of persuasive/argumentative pieces and deciding what makes a piece of writing persuasive.
- I can write effectively according to the purpose for writing.
- I can select a topic to share with an audience.
This week we will be working on volume this week. We will also be focused on using nets to build solid shapes.
- I can identify volume as an attribute of a solid figure.
- I can recognize that a cube with one unit side length is “one cubic unit” of volume.
- I can explain a process for finding the volume of a solid figure by filling it with unit cubes without gaps and overlaps.
- I can measure the volume of a hollow three dimensional figure by filling it with unit cubes with gaps and counting the number of squares.
- I can use unit cubes to determine the volume of a rectangular prism.
We are still in our universe unit. Last week, we focused on the moon and it's phases. This week we will be working on the sun and shadows.
- I can relate changes in length and position of a shadow to the time of day and position of the Sun
- I can relate the apparent motion of the Sun, Moon and the stars to the rotation of the Earth.
Weekly Specials Schedule
Monday- No School
Tuesday-- A (Art is always on Tuesdays)
We are almost finished with our second round of Genius Hour Projects. Students are making screen casts to share what they learned. These screen casts will be placed on our website, as we finish them! Be sure to check them out!
We have been working on finding character traits for the main characters in our book Tuck Everlasting. Student groups have been assigned a character and this week they have been collecting evidence from the text to support their opinions of the characters.
This week we went outside and found out how our shadows change throughout the day. We learned that our shadows change direction and size. We also learned that this happens because of the Earth's rotation. Ask you child what happened to their shadow and why!
Updates and Reminders
March 16- No School
March 20- Progress Reports Sent Home
March 24- Spring Pictures
March 30-April 3 Spring Break
Our classroom expectation is that students read for 20 minutes nightly! This is considered nightly homework!