Weeks Ahead @Southview
Week of January 11th-22
Remote Learning Continues for the Next Two Weeks
A Big Shout Out of Thanks to Our Families!
We encourage everyone to check in daily with their child's teacher. We recognize that this new way of learning can be a struggle. Please do what you can and reach out to your classroom educators or admin team as we are all available to support you. Our educators are working hard to create and share engaging lessons and activities to keep learning going and keep kids connected. They are available for synchronous learning and feedback daily through their online platforms, and asynchronously via email. We are so proud of this educator team! We are so proud of our students and their caregivers! We are so proud of our community!
What Do I Do if My Child will be Absent?
We remind families that if you need to mark your child absent, please do so using our Safe Arrival program as per our usual routines. Information for this is below. We will continue to check in on students that we have not heard from in an attempt to support families as we are able.
What Do I Do if a Device is Needed?
Please connect with your child's classroom teacher or by emailing us at email@example.com and we will arrange for one to be prepared for pick up.
We have a fantastic group of Southview parents who make up our Executive for the School Advisory Council. You can stay informed, or ask questions to them on how you can get involved by contacting a Parent Council Chair via their SAC general email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Southview Parent Council FaceBook page. We request that this is social media digital group space is used for questions and positive comments. If you have school specific concerns, please call the school.
We look forward to learning and supporting you in the coming weeks. We urge kids to get outside when they can and enjoy what winter has to offer. Please don't hesitate to reach out for support.
Your Southview Team
Apply Starting January 11th for Funding for All Families!
Government Support for Learners
The Government of Ontario is providing one-time funding for parents to help offset costs during the 2020-2021 school year. Eligible parents or guardians will receive a one-time payment of:
- $200 for each student up to age 12
- $250 for each student or youth up to age 21 with special needs
- NEW $200 for student age 13 to Grade 12 including students who are in secondary school that are over age 18
Applications open on Monday, January 11, 2021. The deadline to apply is February 8, 2021. Learn more on the government’s Support for Learners webpage liked below.
These Next Two Weeks with Southview
Monday, January 18th (Day 5)
- Online learning continues with synchronous and asynchronous opportunities
- Applications open for Government Support for Learners Funding (above link)
Tuesday, January 19th (Day 1)
Wednesday, January 20th (Day 2)
- ZUMBA time! The link to join in with Edward will be shared by classroom teachers in students' online classrooms. We are set to go for 2:30 (timing may change slightly so watch for the message in the online classroom or Communicate Messenger.
Thursday, January 21st (Day 3)
Friday, January 22nd (Day 4)
- Southview Blue spirit Day! Wear blue or your Southview shirts! We'll see you online!
- January 27th - Family Literacy Day
- January 29th PA Day
- February 15th - Family Day
- February 17th - Term 1 reports go home
Need a Book to Read? Check out Sora!
Learn how to:
- Set up a SchoolMessenger App account: set up your account, review your contact information and communication preferences, join teacher-instant messaging groups, and view all your alerts and messages in one place. Watch the video tutorial.
- Use the Communicate broadcast tool: choose how you will receive alerts including how to opt-in for text messaging. Watch the video tutorial.
- Use the Board mobile app: how to choose your schools, see your messages and report and review student absences. Watch the video tutorial.
Subscribe to school calendars: receive email alerts or download calendars or individual events to your personal calendar
Mental Health and Wellness Supports
Wellness Together Canada: Mental Health and Substance Use Support – Provides free online resources, tools, apps and connections to trained volunteers and qualified mental health professionals when needed
Anxiety Canada - Free online, self-help, and evidence-based resources on anxiety, including resources specific to COVD-19.