Public Fire Service
Certificate of Achievement (Transcripted)
Program of Study
The public fire service program is designed to provide occupational preparation in federal, state, local, and private fire protection agencies and for those desiring to enter fire service work in such areas as firefighting with emphasis in fire prevention, inspection, and safety practices.
Program Learning Outcomes for Public Fire Service Certificate of Achievement
Upon successful completion of the Fire Academy Program students will be able to:
- Perform skills that meet National Fire Protection Association Standard 1001 for fire fighter and California State Fire Marshal Standards for fire fighter
- Demonstrate written and verbal communication skills required for entry-level fire fighter positions.
- Analyze emergency and hazardous conditions that are inherent to the firefighting profession.
This certificate program meets the requirements of the California State Board of Fire Services Certified Firefighter I and college or university preparation.
Completion of the Fire Academy 060 course is recognized by the California State Board of Fire Services as meeting the requirements for Certified Firefighter 1 Training Academy and college and university preparation.
The units earned in The Basic Fire Academy 060 are nontransferable.
Prerequisites to the Basic Fire Academy include:
- Completion of all Fire Technology core courses,
- Meeting the NFPA 1582 medical standards,
- Passing the physical ability test and
- Completing Emergency Medical Technician I course,
- Taking and passing the National EMT Certification Exam, and
- Receiving certification in the State of California
Major Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
- FTC 101 Fire Protection Organization 3
- FTC 102 Fire Behavior and Combustion 3
- FTC 103 Personal Fire Safety 3
- FTC 104 Fire Prevention Technology 3 *
- FTC 105 Building Construction for Fire Protection 3 *
- FTC 106 Fire Protection Equipment and Systems 3 *
- FTC 121 Physical Fitness for Public Safety Personnel 3
- FTC 121L Physical Fitness for Public Safety Personnel - Performance and Assessment 0.3
- FAC 007 Orientation and Physical Fitness 2.5*
- FAC 008 Firefighter I Physical Ability Examination 0.1
- FAC 060 Basic Fire Academy 12 *
Total Units 35.9
*Selective enrollment. Course prerequisites must be fulfilled.
Santa Ana College Fire Technology Program
We are located in the Caesar Chavez Building- Room A-113