AIS Friday Flash
Friday, September 10, 2021
We Need Your Feedback! Be Part of AIS's Next Strategic Plan
With our current strategic plan coming to an end in 2021, the Strategic Committee of the AIS Board of Directors is seeking community input as it plans for the next big steps in AIS’s future. Please share your thoughts—no matter how brief or how long—through this open-ended survey. Responses may be submitted in English, French, or Spanish. We truly value the input of all our community members and wish to thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts, hopes, and dreams for the future of our community!
MAP Assessments begin this week-Mon., 9/13
The first round of MAP assessments will begin this Monday, September 13th. Review the email from our Principal, Mark Rosenbaum about MAP schedules and testing dates by grade. You may review this video here for more information our MAP assessments. For families who are new to MAP assessments, we will be holding family workshops where you will be able to learn more about the assessment tool, what it means, and how to support your children. Keep an eye out for workshop sign-up information in October editions of the Friday Flash. Thanks for helping our students perform their best by ensuring they have a good night's sleep and eat healthy breakfasts during testing weeks.
Middle School Retreat-Mon.- Wed., 9/13 - 9/15
Our Middle Schoolers will go on a fantastic retreat to The Outdoor School in Marble Falls this week. For three amazing days, our students will experience Team Building, a pirate ship rope course, climbing walls with ziplines, a compass course, battle canoes, and even archery and fishing! At night? Just as fun! The camp will guide us in learning astronomy and about the stars while we sit around the campfire and eat S'mores and other snacks. We can't wait to hear about their adventures.
Virtual Room Parent Coffee-Wed., 9/15 9:00 - 10:00 am
Becoming a Room Parent is a great way to be involved with other AIS parents while supporting your child(ren)'s teachers and the school. Join us with this link for a virtual Room Parent Coffee to learn what it entails. The signup is live if you would like to participate and be a semester room parent.
École des Loisirs Books for 2021-2022
We are excited to re-launch our École des Loisirs book subscription service called École des Max for the 2021-2022 school year! Earlier today, you received an email from Jacques with full details about signing up for this year’s exciting new books. At prices between $7.75 and $8.75 per book (which even includes shipping), this is a fantastic way to encourage French reading at home. And for every 10 subscriptions organized through AIS, EDL will send us 8 new books for the AIS library. It’s truly a win-win for all! Please remember to turn in your completed registration form—regardless of your form of payment—so that we can keep track of all subscriptions and deliver your child(ren)’s books on time. To join the book club at the unbeatable group subscription rate, please remember to submit all forms and payments by 4:00pm on Friday, September 24th, 2021.
Board Retreat - Sat., 9/25
The AIS Governing Board of Directors will have their annual retreat virtually on Saturday, September 25th. All other board meetings include an open session where our community members are invited and encouraged to attend, however, our Annual Retreat is closed to the public. We invite you to mark your calendar for future meetings, learn more about our board members, or review our past minutes under the About/Board Governance section of our website.
Updated COVID-19 Guidance
Based on evolving guidance from Austin Public Health, AIS will make the following two adjustments to our current COVID protocols:
- Household-Based Close Contact. If an AIS lives with someone who has tested positive for COVID, then they must stay at home for the required quarantine period. If, at the time of household exposure, the student was not wearing a mask, then the required quarantine period is 14 days; these days are considered excused absences. For students who were masked at the time of exposure, are fully vaccinated, or who have tested positive and recovered from COVID-19 within the past three months, a full, 14-day quarantine may not be required. For questions or additional guidance in those cases, please contact Jacques to discuss required quarantine timelines.
- Updated Return-to-School Form. The Texas Medical Association has updated their COVID-19 Physician Letter for Students. When visiting your child’s pediatrician, please take a copy of this form with you and ask them to complete all fields. Of particular importance is the “Earliest date this student may return to school” line. Without this information, we will require families to return to their child’s pediatrician to seek a clearly stated return-to-school date.
Medical Forms Due-Thur., 9/30
Please be reminded that as per Texas law, all wellness check forms and immunization records are due by September 30, 2021. There is no exception to this requirement. Students who do not have the required documentation on file will be excluded from school until appropriate documentation is submitted.
- Wellness Check Form: A student wellness check must be completed every year, without exception. The wellness check form must indicate the date of the exam (i.e., not simply the date the form was signed) and wellness checks must have taken place within the last calendar year. If a wellness check is scheduled to take place after the previous wellness check has expired, please inform the school in writing (email@example.com) of the upcoming wellness check date.
- Immunization records: All vaccine requirements are listed on our school’s website. This information includes which vaccines are required, the documentation that must be on file, and information about exemptions, if appropriate. Texas Administrative Code §97.66(a) requires our school to exclude students are not in compliance with the vaccine requirements.
We thank you for your support to ensure that your children’s records comply with the laws of the State of Texas. If you have any questions about these requirements, please do not hesitate to contact Jacques at your convenience.
Fall Break Camp - 10/4 thru 10/8
During our Fall Break, there is no school, but AIS will offer 2 limited half-day camps. Our campers will Journey to Wonderland to explore their own curiosity as they follow the Cheshire Cat on a whimsical scavenger hunt, learn to tell time with the white rabbit, design a fantastical hat, play croquet, and much more, culminating in a fun tea party at the end of the week. Our first camp is for MS & GS students, from 9 am - 12 pm daily. Our second camp is for students in CP - CE2 from 1pm to 4pm. The camp is $165 for the week and limited spots are available. Stay tuned for registration information next week.
Save the dates
Mark these important upcoming dates on your calendars.
- 9/13 MAP Assessments Begin
- 9/15 Virtual Room Parent Coffee
- 9/25 AIS Board Retreat
- 9/30 AIS Medical Forms Due
- 10/4-10/8 Fall Break/Fall Camp
- 10/12 Middle School Night
- 10/14 PTO Coffee
- 10/15 Middle School Shadow Day