Thunder and Lightning
The Creation, Effects, and Examples of Thunder and LIghtning
What Causes It?
- Lightning: As clouds move around, they create positive and negative charges. The negative charges in a cloud attract to the positive charges on the ground, creating lightning.
- Thunder: Thunder is caused by the rapidly heating air. The heated air creates shock waves, which produce thunder.
- Lightning: Being hit directly by lightning can kill you. Being in contact with metal during a lightning storm is very dangerous.
- Thunder: The more frequently you hear thunder, the closer you are to lightning.
- In Ancient Times, thunder was considered as the gods roaring in anger when unhappy.
- An average of about 20 Million cloud-to-ground lightning strikes happen annually in the United States.
- Lightning can reach up to 3 to 5 times hotter then the surface of the Sun.