Keeping you connected with Silver City ES!
What an unbelievable way to end the 2019-20 school year. Nobody could have foreseen this at the beginning of the year and none of us will forget it. As you and your family look back over the past 8 weeks of extended online learning, we hope that it has been a positive time for your family. I know it has been very tough, but we hope you are able to take with you some incredible memories. I know some of my memories will be:
- listening to my 2nd grader read and discuss Harry Potter with his teacher nearly every morning and talking about EVERYTHING under the sun with her,
- watching my daughter in Kindergarten introduce her teachers to our dog, our yard, her stuffed animals, her garden, her shoes, and so on,
- making time to see my 4th grader's new magic tricks, new Lego creations, and cool Art for Kids Hub drawings,
- hosting a "movie night" on the side of our neighbors' house so we could enjoy "Spies in Disguise" together while social distancing, and
- letting my children practice cooking by baking brownies, making homemade ice cream, and cooking pancakes for each other.
Although we did miss our friends, families, teachers and coworkers, we were able to create some pretty awesome memories at the same time.
At Silver City, relationships are HUGE for us. When I was talking to teachers this week and they were packing up their rooms, they said the things that sustained them over the past 8 weeks were the relationships they had created throughout the year with their students. They were extremely grateful for the focus they had put on relationships leading up to this time because that was what made this time apart bearable for them.
As we wrap up the year, please know how much we appreciate you and your hard work and your children and their hard work. You stuck it out and even excelled. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. You make us proud to be Comets!
Final Report Cards - REPEAT INFO
Parent Portal will be closed the week of May 18-22 while Q4 grades are input and finalized. EOY electronic report cards will be available through Parent Portal on May 29. Hard copy report cards will NOT be mailed out at the end of the year.
If you have forgotten your Parent Portal username and/or password, click here to find out what to do.
If you have any questions, please contact Susan Lawing (primary contact) or Meredith Warren (back-up contact) by June 4 to find out more. After June 4, contact Cindy Little at 678-947-0863, ext 312253 for assistance.
A PARENT PORTAL ACCOUNT WILL ALSO BE CRITICAL IN 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR AS WE WILL BE MOVING STRICTLY TO THIS ONLINE SYSTEM FOR VERIFYING CHECK-OUT INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS. CHECK-OUT CARDS WILL NO LONGER BE USED.
Pick-Up and Drop-Off of Supplies at Silver City
This week, teachers shared our Pick-Up and Drop-off Plan for student supplies to wrap-up the year. The dates are May 26 and 27 and they are based on students' last names. If you have any questions or concerns about the schedule, please email your child's homeroom teacher.
Kindergarten Registration - UPDATED INFO
We are registering all students using a virtual process for the 2020-21 school year. You can begin the registration process even without all of the required forms, but your child(ren) cannot start the first day of school until all of the forms are turned in. Any forms needed from a doctor can be turned in at a later day through the upload process. After registering, you will receive an email indicating any forms that are missing and the upload link is also provided.
Check out our Welcome Video and Virtual SCES tour to learn more about what to expect for our rising Kindergarten students. Check out this website to join us for virtual Q&A sessions, sign-up for KK screenings and fill out our survey so we can get to know your kindergarten-aged child.
Other Miscellaneous Info
- Shout-out to Coach Aycock and Coach Garner, as well as all of our families, for raising more than $17,000 for the American Heart Association through our Kids Heart Jump Rope Challenge!! Your efforts make a tremendous impact and help millions of Americans through increased awareness of cardiovascular disease, lifesaving scientific research and critically needed education efforts.
- Senior Picture Submission - Calling all former Comets that are graduating HS this year...we would love to get your senior photo for a slideshow to celebrate your huge accomplishment and wish you well! Use this link to submit your photo (by Sunday, May 17, please).
- Yearbooks - We will be putting these in your child's belongings for pick-up on May 26 and 27. If you did not purchase a yearbook and wanted to, there are a few still available by going to this website.
- Local School Council (LSC) Nominations - LSCs are advisory bodies made up of parents, teachers, and community members that provide recommendations to the school principal and Forsyth County Board of Education. Councils meet at least four times a year. If you are interested in serving as a parent or business member of our LSC for next school year, please submit your name using this form by Sunday, May 17. We will send out the list of nominations next week for virtual voting to determine the final list of members. Thank you for your interest in serving!
PROVIDING A GALAXY OF SUPPORT
Check out these Community Resources...Whether you are able to serve or if you are in need, check out The Place of Forsyth County. They offer a wealth of resources to families in our county.
As always, use our district website as a resource to keep up with what is going on with Forsyth County Schools.