Sevier Scoop....Family Edition
We are a couple of weeks away from spring break and excitement is building! This week we take our third benchmark assessment. The results from these assessments will be used to plan for instruction and intervention as we wrap up the year and plan for TN Ready. We will also be starting some after school intense tutoring. Be on the lookout for an invite from your child's ELA or Math teacher.
We have had a great couple of months at Sevier with lots of things happening. Let's take a moment and celebrate students. We had great representation recently at the Kids Business Expo, our orchestra students have recently participated in a city-wide Orchestra Festival with students from RNR and DB, our Robotics team had a great run at the state competition, and winter sports had a great season.
There is a lot of information listed below. I hope you will take time to review it. A time sensitive matter is the Night of Discovery for 7th and 8th graders. See info below to register.
Kelli Seymour, Ed.D.
Note from the Family Resource Center.....
The mission of Kingsport City Schools is to provide excellence in education for all students. The Family Resource Center supports this mission by bridging the gap between schools and home. The goal of the Family Resource Center is to serve the students attending KCS and their families through direct family and community agencies or resources for assistance as needed. The FRC helps to meet immediate student needs such as clothing, food, shoes, hygiene and school supplies. In addition, the FRC supports literacy programs, focuses on attendance by collaborating with schools on attendance incentives, and promotes family involvement.
If your student(s) and/or family could benefit from any of these services, please contact Candice Cradic or make an online referral at the following link.
We need your help reminding students of the following expectations:
- Hoods should not be worn in the building.
- Earbuds/air pods should only be worn when directed by the teacher.
- Phones should not be out during the instructional day (7:45-2:45).
- Outside food and drink should be finished before students enter the building.
- Water bottles should only contain water (no soda, coffee, or sports drinks).
- Students should leave blankets at home.
We also need your assistance in helping educate our students about the danger of vaping/e-cigarettes. There are a few facts listed below. More information can be found here on the CDC website. Please encourage your child to refrain from vaping and report it if they see it happening at school.
- A recent CDC study found that 99% of the e-cigarettes sold in assessed venues in the United States contained nicotine.
- Some e-cigarette labels do not disclose that they contain nicotine, and some e-cigarettes marketed as containing 0% nicotine have been found to contain nicotine.
- Nicotine can harm the developing adolescent brain.1 The brain keeps developing until about age 25.
- Using nicotine in adolescence can harm the parts of the brain that control attention, learning, mood, and impulse control.1
- Each time a new memory is created or a new skill is learned, stronger connections – or synapses – are built between brain cells. Young people’s brains build synapses faster than adult brains. Nicotine changes the way these synapses are formed.
Reminders & Updates.....
- Remember you can access weekly announcements on our website. Just click on the student tab and then click announcements. https://sevier.k12k.com/
- Follow us on social media--Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Just as a reminder, students have access to telehealth visits in our clinic, as well as Covid testing. Please contact the nurse should you have questions or wish to utilize this service.
- Last day to order a yearbook is THIS FRIDAY! Reserve your copy of the yearbook! Visit ybpay.com and use school code 13619722 to order your copy of the yearbook!
- Homework help daily after school until 3:30.
- Tutoring available Tuesday-Friday beginning at 7:00 am.
- Zoning and Tuition application is now available on the Kingsport City Schools' webpage. I have also included the link below.
News from PTA....
It is Fundraising Time
- 3 Options for Fundraising this year: Ham 'n Goody's cookies, Sponsor a Warrior calendar, or Meadowview Candle Company
- Fundraising packets and information will go out this week.
- They will be due back before Friday, March 25.
- The homeroom that raises the most gets Chick-fil-a.
- The student with the highest sales receives a Visa gift card.
Get Involved at Sevier....
- Gaming Club meets on Wednesdays until 3:30.
Math Counts meets Wednesdays with Ms. Perdue until 4:30.
Prayer Warriors club will meet on Mondays in the Auditorium for those interested.
ROTC meets on Mondays after school in the auditorium until 4:00.
Football workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays until 4:00. Students must have a physical on file.
Summer Info for Rising 9th Graders....
Summer Session for Rising Freshmen
Quick list of facts:
- Invitations will go out after Spring Break
- Summer session will be from May 31st - June 30th
- Morning session (8:00am - 11:00 am) OR afternoon sessions (11:30am - 2:30 pm)
- The first week is Tuesday - Friday due to Memorial Day on May 30. Subsequent weeks classes will be Monday through Friday to match the elementary and middle school schedules.
- Students have the opportunity to earn up to 3 credits to apply towards graduation requirements.
- Students will attend Pre-English 9, Pre- Algebra 1 and Freshman Success (explore options, gain confidence in preparing and navigating high school)
- Breakfast, lunch and transportation provided each day
- Invitations will be extended to students based on student data and teacher recommendation first
- open enrollment opportunity will follow if there are still seats available
- Sign up link is here.
Parents, if you have questions, please email, Ms. Leighann Shepard at DB directly: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save the Date....
- March 14-18--Spring Break
- March 21--Teacher Inservice Day (no school for students)