Fourth Grade Newsletter
Students are working diligently on researching a natural disaster. Students have been looking and analyzing sources to find information on their topic. They have worked on taking notes on at least four subtopics within their research topic. They soon will be compiling their information to begin drafting an informational book.
The unit overview that was sent home a few weeks ago gives more details about the objectives for this unit. Please make sure you look over the unit overview and also record what your child is reading at home throughout these weeks. It is imperative that your child is reading at home in order to practice the skills we learn at school. This unit focuses heavily on science objectives that are weaved throughout the reading and writing subject areas. The students will have the opportunity to work on several different labs involving weather and natural disasters. Talk with your child about the labs he or she is doing in class and how they relate to real life situations.
Pastries with Parents
Where: Fairmount Elementary School
When: Families A-M on Wednesday, February 18th
Families N-Z on Thursday, February 19th
*Please note: In the event of a SNOW day this event will be canceled & rescheduled for the spring.
Time: 7:00-7:45am (Event must end at 7:45 to allow buses to come. Students will then be supervised by staff until morning bell at 8:00am)
Who: Parents and/or Grandparents
Come and enjoy a pastry with your child before school!
We will serve FREE pastries, coffee,
juice, and milk in the cafeteria!
Please note: Families must RSVP to this event in order to have enough food. Please No Walk-Ins. *RSVP slips are due to your child’s teacher by Thursday, Feb. 12th.
1/23 Hat Day to Support Friends with Cancer
1/29 PTO Meeting
2/12 Friendship Parties
2/14 Valentine's Day
2/13 No School- Teacher Professional Development
2/16 No School- President's Day
2/18 Pastries with Parents - Families last names( A-M)
2/19 Pastries with Parents -Families last names (N-Z)
2/25 Grandparent's Day Celebration
2/27 Early Release
Unit 4 ELA
·· Utilize note taking structures and analyzing graphics for better understanding.
· Focus on cause and effect relationships in regards to the changing earth.
· Summarize information using main idea and key details from text.
· Interpret information presented visually, orally, or quantitatively and explain how information contributes to an understanding of the text in which it appears.
· · Introduce a topic clearly and group related information in paragraphs and sections: including formatting , illustrations, and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.
· Recall relevant information from experiences or gather relevant information from print.
· Draw evidence from literary or informational text to support analysis, reflection, and research.
Topic 10 Math
Math Topic 10 study guide will be coming home soon, if it has not already been sent home with your child. It is a good rule of thumb to have your child complete the homework in sections. Look at his or her agenda and see what lesson in math they learned that day. Then have your child complete that section in the study guide that night. This way your child will have the information fresh in their mind in order to complete the work without too much frustration.
10-1 Division: Division as Repeated Subtraction
10-2 Division: Using Objects to Divide: Division as Sharing
10-3 Division: Dividing 2-Digit by 1-Digit Numbers
10-4 Division: Dividing 3- Digit by 1- Digit Numbers
10-5 Division- Deciding Where to Start Dividing
10-6 Division- Dividing 4- Digit by 1- Digit Numbers
10-7 Problem Solving: Multi- Step Problems
Also, remember that our textbook website is great for students looking for extra support. The website is www.pearsonrealize.com
We will be practicing list 19 next week in spelling. The skill is endings en, ed, ing, and est.
The words are as follows:
The following week we will be practicing list 20. The skill is the suffix or.
The words are as follows:
Ask Me About...
- My third quarter goals in math, spelling, reading, and writing
- My Big 6 research project
- How much effort I am putting into learning division
- What labs I have completed about natural disasters