West H.S. Special Education Dept.
Week of February 7, 2016
Revisiting Classroom Routines
Educational Leadership Pages 50-55
Most co-teachers agree that there just isn't enough time for co-teachers to appropriately and effectively preplan every aspect of every activity in every lesson. This lack of time leads co-teachers to turn to models that fail to maximize the benefits of a two-teacher classroom.
Wilson suggests that if co-teachers use their limited planning time to look at activities they routinely employ and develop new routines that make better use of both teachers, they can dramatically increase the effectiveness of their instruction with little expenditure of time.
A copy of this article is in your mailbox! (Sorry, there isn't a link available)
Scholarship Opportunity for Seniors
Down Syndrome Association of Central Ohio (DSACO)
The Down Syndrome Association of Central Ohio (DSACO) is offering scholarships to students in central Ohio with Down syndrome and/or their family members who will be pursuing careers that will impact the lives of those with disabilities.
The applicant must be a high school graduate or a senior expected to graduate the year of application, and must be accepted to an accredited technical school, university or college in pursuit of an associate, bachelor or master’s degree.
The application and guidelines are available on the DSACO website at www.dsaco.net. Completed applications must be postmarked no later than February 19, 2016 and sent to:
Attn: Scholarship Committee
510 East North Broadway
Columbus, Ohio 43214
Please share this information with your students!
Special Education TBT
Friday, Feb. 12th, 9:15-9:45am
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Special Education Department Updates
- Due to principals February 16th, and mailed February 22nd.
Updated Case Management Rosters
- A new copy of the Case Management book is in your mailbox, and the files were sent in a previous email (last Friday).
- Please check your roster carefully! Every teacher/tutor has changes.
Scheduling for 2016-17
- You should have received a scheduling matrix in your email to complete for each of the students on your Case Management roster.
- Please return it to me ASAP so that we can start scheduling students for next school year!
February Department Chairs Meeting
- This month's meeting is February 9th from 3:30 - 5:30 pm. If you have any questions or concerns for me to take to the meeting, please let me know by the end of the day on Tuesday!