January 2024 Bulletin
A Message From Principal Salazar
Dear BG Families,
The end of the year celebrations are over and now we are ready for a new calendar year. There are about 6 months left of the school year and we are ready to teach and to learn. We are excited about the possibilities ahead of us including the school musical, teacher collaboration days including arts integration programing, National Urban Alliance professional development training, after school Targeted Services programming, building long boards with the Minnesota Urban Boat Builders in partnership with Breck School and much more.
A few friendly reminders:
- Please label your student's winter coat. Every day students misplace their winter attire and soon we have tons of coats/gloves/hats in the lost and found pile.
- Please park in the open parking spaces or along the curve when dropping off students. Parking in the middle of the road or the crosswalk is not safe for your student nor for anybody else.
- Call before 3 pm if you are planning on picking up your student.
- Let us know if there is anything we can do to help your family or student. You can contact ms. Ruhland, the school social worker, in case of specific needs, including winter gear, at RuhlandM@District279.org.
Winter can be seen as a long cloudy day or as an opportunity to enjoy Minnesota’s longest season for the year. State/city/county trails are open for winter hikes, snowshoeing, and sledding. Public libraries offer diverse programing as well as the district’s community ed program, which may provide scholarships for your students. Indoor activities such as cooking with your students help maintain family traditions while developing language, science, and math skills. Listening to music, dancing, drawing and many other indoor art projects can be added to the list of indoor projects. We'd love to see you at our January after school events which include the 5th grade band concert at Osseo Middle School on January 9th, the 5th grade orchestra concert at Osseo Middle School on January 23rd, or the Birch Grove PTO meeting on Thursday, January 11th (please note the new date!). More information on these events, including times, can be found in our Upcoming Events section below.
Please let us know if we can help you in any way.
Dr. Ronald Salazar, Principal
Announcements & Important Information
It's Almost Time for Winter Conferences!
Winter conferences are coming up! Conferences will be held from 8:00-9:00 am and 4:20-7:20 pm on the following dates:
- Tuesday, February 6th
- Thursday, February 8th
- Monday, February 12th
The scheduling window for conferences will open on Monday, January 29th. Conferences can be scheduled through ParentVUE. Instructions on how to schedule a conference for your child will be sent later this month.
For all support questions related to ParentVUE, including setting up your account or recovering your password, please email Help@District279.org.
Reminders From the Office
- Please call the office before 3:30 if there will be a change in dismissal plans for your student to ensure the change gets communicated to the teacher on time.
- If your student is going to be absent from school for any reason, please call the 24-hour absence line at 763-561-1374, option 1. Absences that aren't called in will automatically be coded as unexcused. It is okay to let your child's teacher know about their absence, but classroom teachers do not have the ability to enter attendance codes. It is important to also communicate your child's absence with office staff to ensure it is excused.
- Per district protocol and for student safety, all visitors to Birch Grove must sign in with an ID if you will be entering the building beyond the front office during school hours. Once you have signed in to the system with your ID, you will be able to scan your ID at the self sign-in kiosk moving forward. More information can be found under "Security Protocol & Visitor Requirements" further down in this newsletter.
Finding Nemo Jr.
Rehearsals will be getting started for this year's musical, Finding Nemo Jr.! The cast is super excited to start learning lines and get ready to perform in the spring. Performance dates are as follows:
- Friday, March 8th at 7:00 pm
- Saturday, March 9th at 2:00 pm and 7:00 pm
- Sunday, March 10th at 2:00 pm
Keep an eye out for more information coming next month about purchasing tickets! Visit the Birch Grove Fine Arts Google site for more information, including past performances, rehearsal calendar, snack signup, and more!
What's Happening at Birch Grove?
Students in grades 2-5 who are involved in a Troupe (Art, Drama, Choir, Media Arts) had the opportunity to put on their first show for family and friends in December! Students performed songs and skits and put their art on display to show off all the hard work they've been doing the past couple months.
Birch Grove Receives Books from Barnes & Noble
Birch Grove was chosen to be the recipient of Barnes & Noble's Holiday Book Drive. In November and December, shoppers at the Maple Grove Barnes & Noble had the opportunity to purchase books that would be donated directly to Birch Grove.
We received a total of 84 books, including a mix of chapter books, picture books, fiction, and non-fiction! Some of these books were added to our school library for all Scholars to check out and enjoy. The remainder of the books were given to Scholars to take home and keep. We are full of gratitude and thankful to Barnes & Noble and the community members who participated in the Book Drive!
January 9th: 5th Grade Band Concert
Birch Grove band students, along with band students from several other Osseo elementary schools, will be performing their Winter Demonstration Concert. Friends and family are welcome to attend!
Performing students should arrive at 6:10 pm with their instrument, music, and stand and wear concert attire (no clothing with holes/distressed and no logos/graphics).
When: Tuesday, January 9th
Time: 6:30-7:00 pm
Location: Osseo Middle School Gymnasium
10223 93rd Ave N
Osseo, MN 55369
January 11th: PTO Meeting - NEW SCHEDULE
The PTO has changed their meeting dates to the second Thursday of the month for the remainder of the school year. January's PTO meeting will be held on Thursday, January 11th. Meetings will still occur in the Birch Grove media center and online at the link below.
Date: Thursday, January 11th
Time: 6:00-7:00 pm
Location: Birch Grove Media Center
January 12th: e-Learning Day
Friday, January 12th will be a remote learning day for students. Devices and assignments will be sent home on Thursday, January 11th. Please contact your child's teacher if you have any questions about classwork. If you need a hotspot for internet use at home, please email Jodi at SchneiderJ@District279.org.
If you are experiencing any issues with your child's technology during remote learning, please contact Help@District279.org and describe the issue. Tech support will be standing by all day to assist with any problems that may arise.
January 23rd: 5th Grade Orchestra Concert
Performing students should arrive at 7:30 pm with their instrument, music, and stand and wear concert attire (no clothing with holes/distressed or logos/graphics).
When: Tuesday, January 23rd
Time: 8:00-8:35 pm
Location: Osseo Middle School
10223 93rd Ave N
Osseo, MN 55369
Birch Grove Quick Calendar
Security Protocol & Visitor Requirements
Please read the following information about District 279 security protocols and visitor requirements. This is for visiting any school in the Osseo Area Schools, including Birch Grove. It is important to follow this protocol to ensure the safety of students and staff.
It is highly recommended to complete the volunteer application to make signing into the school a quicker and easier process. Please make sure to bring your ID with you anytime you come to the school.
Dr. Ronald Salazar, Principal: SalazarR@District279.org
Lindsey Patterson, Assistant Principal: PattersonLindsey@District279.org
Elise Dorgan, Administrative Assistant: DorganE@District279.org
Abbie Lecy, Counselor: LecyA@District279.org
Megan Ruhland, Social Worker: RuhlandM@District279.org
Emily Wenz, Psychologist: WenzE@District279.org
Jean Thurmer, Nurse: 763-549-2308 / ThurmerN@District279.org
Help Desk & Tech Support: HelpDesk@District279.org