May 26th, 2023
School news (NEW)
Dear Sunnyside Families,
As we ease into our last three day weekend of the school year, I cannot help but think about beginnings and endings. This group of 8th graders have wowed and amazed me with their thoughtful and well written/performed speeches. They have really come together as a cohesive group of students that I know will go on to do great things. This time of year is so special because we all have to say goodbye, some will say goodbye to Sunnyside forever, and some say goodbye to special classmates and beloved teachers. And, we are also planning for next year, getting things on the calendar, figuring out the schedule, clearing out classrooms, and celebrating our time together. It is always bittersweet and saying goodbye to this group of 8th graders will be especially bittersweet because of our chance to really get to know each other post COVID.
A quick reminder to all parents, we are really working to have cell phones off and away all day. If your student needs to call you, they can always come to the office to do so. Please do not text or call your student during the day as we are really working to have students engaged in the class and community and NOT with their phones. Thanks for your support.
Please make sure to check the school calendar for all of our upcoming events and celebrations as we end this school year together.
Looking forward to next year while also treasuring our last few moments together.
- Mon, May 29: NO SCHOOL [Memorial Day]
- Wed, May 31: SES Garden plant sale
- Wed, June 7, 3:30-4:30 pm: 4th grade drumming performance
- Fri, June 9, 8:45 am: SES PTSA meeting: SES room 102 and on Google Meet
- Mon, June 12, 6 pm: 8th grade promotion at Franklin High School
- Tue, June 13, 8:45 am: 5th grade promotion
- Wed, June 14: LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
- Wed, June 14, 6-8 pm: Middle School end-of-year dance (Note new time)
- Wed, Aug 23, 10 am - noon: SES 6th grade orientation (students only)
- Wed, Aug 23, 4-5 pm: Kindergarten Family Social
- Sat, Aug 26, 10 am - noon: SES Community Care Day
- Tue, Aug, 29: FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Websites to know
- 8th grade speech calendar
- Sign up to support Christina at lunch
- SES current volunteer needs
- 2022-2023 Back to School Ask
- SES attendance form: English | Español
- Sunnyside School Page
- SES PTSA website | SES PTSA newsletters | After school activities at SES
- SchoolPay | SchoolCafé
- MESD head lice resources and information
- PPS self-screening tool
Fliers and community links (NEW)
Middle School dance: Wednesday, June 14, 6-8 pm (NEW)
Our end-of-year middle school dance is coming up on the last day of school: Wednesday, June 14 from 6-8 pm. For the dance to happen, we will need chaperones! Sign up here to chaperone or bring snacks. (Chaperones must have active volunteer background checks.)
The dance starts promptly at 6 pm and ends at 8 pm—please make sure students have plans to arrive and leave at these precise times. Permission slips will come home a few days before the event. We request a $5 donation to cover the cost of the dance, but no child will be turned away for lack of funds.
2022-2023 Middle School Yearbooks available for purchase (NEW)
2022-2023 Sunnyside Middle School Yearbooks are available for purchase now. Follow this SchoolPay link to purchase a yearbook. Yearbooks will be delivered to students during our last day of school celebration if ordered by June 13, 2023.
THANK YOU from the Art Room (NEW)
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the donations to the Art room. We are feeling the love and support! This week in k-5 Art we are making paper crowns. The creativity that the students are showing is blowing our minds. Here are a few pictures so you can share in the joy and smiles.
Sending positivity, Indigo and Meg
Please pick up student medication by end of day June 14 (NEW)
If your student has medication in the school health room, please be sure to pick it up before the end of the school day, on June 14th. Medication must be picked up by a parent or guardian. Any medication not picked up by the last day of school will be discarded. Thank you.
Art Room wish list
Hello beautiful SES community,
Looking for a few donations to get us through the end of the year:
- Watercolor paper of any size and quality. (If you are buying new, this is a good deal.)
- Shrinky dink film
- Sharpies black or metallic
- Beads and stretchy beading thread
Thanks for your continued support of the Arts at Sunnyside. I really appreciate my volunteers and donations big and small. Sending positivity, Indigo