The Weekly Roar
December 4, 2021
It's Parent Conference Time!
Hello La Ballona Families,
It's Parent Conference Time. On December 6, 7, 9, 10, 13, and 14 school will be dismissed at 1:45. One of the most important times of the year for your child's education is when you meet with the teacher for a parent conference. As partners, teachers and parents must work together constantly, and the parent conference is a perfect time to come together to discuss progress and next steps. Here are some tips to help you have a successful parent-teacher conference.
Before the Meeting
- Find out your conference time and mark it in your calendar so that you do not miss your time.
- Make sure your technology device is prepared for the Zoom meeting.
- Regularly read all the correspondence from the teacher and the school. In this way, you are aware of the basics, and your conference can fully focus on your child's progress.
- If you are meeting at the school, be sure to bring your vaccination record so that you can come on campus.
During the Meeting
- Ask clarifying questions so that you truly understand.
- Be honest and share any concerns you may have so that we can work together.
- Take notes. You'll be getting a lot of information all at once. It'll be helpful to have notes to refer back to.
After the Meeting
- Follow up with your child with any necessary next steps
- Show your appreciation to the teacher. Your positive reinforcement will go a long way.
- Stay involved. Continue to read the Weekly Roar and the teacher's communication.
Most importantly, it's essential for all of us to recognize that we all want the same thing: a successful educational experience for your child. Keeping an open mind and a willingness to work together to problem-solve ensures that your La Ballona Lion will have the best outcome during this very difficult school year.
Dr. Becky Godbey
Dr. Becky Godbey
AFTER SCHOOL CHILDCARE FOR PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES DECEMBER 6, 7, 9, 10, 13, 14 FROM 1:45PM TO 3:45 PM AT LA BALLONA
-Brought to you by La Ballona PTA.
The La Ballona PTA will offer 6 days of after school care during parent teacher conferences. For $10/day ($5/day for each additional sibling) you can be carefree to leave your child(ren) in their own school environment with supervision from parent volunteers. Please write a note if you can volunteer. Volunteers get one free day of babysitting for each day of volunteering, up to three days. Volunteers must be Covid vaccinated and a copy of their vaccine card will be kept on file at the office.
Please Fill out the form below and submit payment to the front office. Make checks payable to La Ballona PTA.
If you have any questions or need further information, contact Laura Loo at firstname.lastname@example.org or text 310-433-8439. No childcare on Wednesdays. PTA babysitting will be cancelled if there is rain.
English/Spanish Online form: https://forms.gle/383xmKh12Wqhadiz7
The Month of December
Important Dates (New Dates in Bold)
December 7- Parent Conference Week, Dismissal is 1:45
December 7- Volunteer Orientation Meeting via Zoom, 9am
December 8- Minimum Day, Dismissal is 1:45
December 9- Parent Conference Week, Dismissal is 1:45
December 9- District Elementary Concert
December 10- Parent Conference Week, Dismissal is 1:45
December 13- Parent Conference Week, Dismissal is 1:45
December 14- Parent Conference Week, Dismissal is 1:45
December 15- Minimum Day, Dismissal is 1:45
December 16- REGULAR DISMISSAL, 3:15
December 17- Minimum Day, Dismissal is 1:45
Covid Testing Continues each Tuesday
Dear CCUSD staff and families:
We are ready to go with the new COVID testing provider - Living Fit Nation (LFN). Testing will begin next week for all staff and students, with the first week (similar to the last rollout) acting as our pilot to make sure everything runs smoothly. We will monitor the registration status to ensure everyone is registering and contacting those who do not.
To be tested this Tuesday (12/7), you must be registered by Saturday 11/4 at 8:00pm.
Registration for this system is similar to the last one with several improvements:
- One parent email is able to register multiple students
- Once registered, you are set - no need to “order tests”
- Assistance is available directly from LFN
- Step by step instructions are attached here to assist you
You will have to provide insurance information if available, as billing is done the same way. LFN will bill insurance if available and if not will bill the Federal grant program, which is why they need further information if you select “no insurance”. You will never be charged anything for these tests.
With this new provider, we will be able to do all the testing in one day. The schedule for now will be Tuesdays:
- All elementary schools and OCD first thing in the morning until 10:00am
For more information, please go to the district website: 2020-2021 Updates & Communications - ES: COVID-19 / Distance Learning - Culver City Unified School District (ccusd.org)
Click on the video to show your child what to do.
Arrival Time Reminders
- Please do not arrive before 8am on Washington Boulevard. There is no supervision for your children.
- At 8am, the front entrance is available for students needing breakfast. Breakfast is free for all students
- If your family has breakfast at home, please do not arrive until 8:35. We have limited supervision in the mornings.
- The best time to arrive is 8:35-8:40. Enter through the back gate. (except Kinder)
- Remind your student to sit or stand in line by their class number. Due to safety and supervision, the morning is not a play time.
La Ballona Volunteer Opportunities- New Date!
As you may have heard, CCUSD is now allowing cleared volunteers to support our campus! Before anyone can volunteer, all prospective volunteers must attend a Volunteer Orientation Meeting. We will hold our first orientation meeting Tuesday, December 7th at 9:00-10:00 via Zoom. At this meeting, you'll learn how to become a cleared volunteer and the protocols volunteers will follow. If you are interested in volunteering, please attend this meeting. If you cannot come to this meeting, there will be additional orientation meetings after Thanksgiving Break. Having volunteers on campus will certainly make school feel one step closer to "normal".
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 811 0175 8236
SSC Meeting Tuesday- New Date
Square 1 Art - can still be ordered all year long!
Great news everyone, if you still want to put in an order (anytime of the year) through 'Square 1 Art', then absolutely do anytime! Just use your Art Access Code that came with your child's project and order it online at Square 1 Arts website.
PERFECT OPPORTUNITY TO SUPPORT LA BALLONA (at no extra cost to you) WHILE HOLIDAY SHOPPING!!
How your daily spending can make money for La Ballona.
**Did you know that your weekly shopping can turn into money for our school at no extra cost to you? Is Amazon one of your favorite online places to shop? By taking 1 minute to designate La Ballona Elementary School as your charity and making your Amazon purchases on ‘Amazon Smile’ instead of Amazon, you’ll be donating to La Ballona and it’s at absolutely no extra cost to you.
Go to smile.amazon.com and enter your Amazon login information
In the “or pick your own charitable organization” field, type in La Ballona PTA and click select.
Now La Ballona is your designated charity! When you shop and/or want to finalize your Amazon purchases, sign into smile.amazon.com on your computer or use the Amazon Smile App on your cell phone and you will have access to your shopping cart and all the same inventory and prices.
**please note that purchases completed on amazon.com or thru your regular amazon app on your mobile phone do not support donations to the schools PTA (must be the “amazon smile app” that is FREE to download)
Help still needed for our after school Cone Crew!
We still need more volunteers to help our after school cone crew from 2:45pm-3:30pm (either Thursday OR Friday) to help with the new "pick up" in the afternoons. CAN YOU VOLUNTEER ONCE A WEEK (45 MINUTES) TO HELP KEEP THIS GOING SMOOTHLY?
All volunteers must be vaccinated as well, thank you so much from La Ballona and the PTA board.