Give your Body a Chance
By Kiera Morlatt & Julian X. Molina
Facts about Cigarettes
- Worldwide, tobacco use causes more than five million deaths per year, and current research shows that tobacco will cause more than eight million deaths by 2030.
- approximately three million high school students in the USA are smokers of cigarettes.
Problems/Conditions Caused by Smoking Cigarettes
- Raises the risk of all cancer
- Raises the risk of stroke by two to four times
- Increases the chance of death from chronic obstructive lung diseases by 12 to 13 times
- Increases the risk of coronary heart disease by two to four times
- Women who smoke have a lower bone density and increases the risk of hip fracture
- Women who smoke when pregnant have a higher risk of birth defects
Chemicals Found in Cigarettes
Ways to Quit Smoking
- Nicotine patch
- Nicotine Gum
- See a therapist
CDC: Tips From Former Smokers - Terrie: "Terrie, What Are You Doing?"