Blanchard HS Band
January 2016 Newsletter
Looking Ahead to the New Year!
Thank you to everyone for your help with Breakfast with Santa! It was once again a big success!
Also, thank you to everyone who came out to the Winter Concert. It was the largest crowd EVER and the kids performed wonderfully! We appreciate the many kind emails you sent to let us know how proud and pleased you were with their performances. We are so blessed to work in a community as great as Blanchard!
Check Charms to make sure your student's account is in good financial standing. If your student checked out breakfast tickets or coupon books and haven't sold them or turned them in, there is a negative charge to the account.
Calendar of Upcoming Events (always available on Charms!)
- January 15th, All Solo & Ensemble fees due
- January 18th, No School
- January 20th-23rd, OMEA All-State Honor Band
- January 25th-29th, Pass off music for SWOBDA All-Region HB
- January 26th, Band Booster meeting @7pm; HS band room
- January 29th, HS band lock-in; HS band room
- February 1st-5th, Pass off music for OSSBDA All-State HB
- February 5th, Parent-Teacher conferences (directors unavailable)
- February 5th-6th, All-Region Honor Band; Weatherford
- February 8th, 4th trip payment due
- February 11th-13th, OSSBDA All-State Honor Band
- February 15th, No School
- February 19th, Pre-district Contest
- February 21st, Mattress Sale
- February 27th, District Solo & Ensemble Contest
- February 29th, OU Concert; we will go watch this performance; optional
Honor band pass offs & hotel fees
If your student is a member of All-Region, OSSBDA All-State, or OMEA All-State, itineraries with information will be sent home as soon as possible. These will be filled with info, so please read them carefully! There is a $25 hotel/dinner fee for All-Region members that is due by the first day of the honor band, February 5th, or anytime beforehand.
All students will need to pass off their honor band music to a director or private lesson teacher in order to attend, so don't delay! The deadlines are in the calendar section above.
Solo & Ensemble Deadlines
Students wanting to participate in solo & ensemble need to sign up and pay by Friday, January 15th. We will have three large ensembles (woodwind, brass, percussion) that students do not need to pay for in order to participate. Percussionists must participate in the percussion ensemble.
This is a great opportunity for students to work on their own or in small groups! Costs are as follows: Solo - $10; Ensembles of 2-6 - $18 (to be divided equally among the participating members).
If you need some flexibility on the payment deadline, please let me know and we'll make it happen.
Trip Payment Due February 8th
If you are behind in your payments or you would like to get ahead, there are no payments due in December and January so you have some room to wiggle until the next payment is due.
Tuttle Band Lock-In
Blanchard HS Band Lock-In
There will be games in the gym, movies in the percussion room, video games in the drama room, board games and hanging out in the band room, and food and drinks in the commons. There is sure to be something for everyone!
The main course will be pizza. Below, check out what your section is assigned to bring:
Flutes - drinks
Clarinets - desserts
Saxes/Horn/Oboes/Bassoon - cups, plates, utensils, napkins
Low Brass - snacks
Trumpets - snacks
Percussion - desserts
Guard - drinks
Mattress Fundraiser Reminder!
Background checks for volunteers
HS Band Students of the Month!
- Nova is a junior trombone player and is first chair in her section. She is also a member of Leadership Council. Nova had a very unique situation in December. Our Winter Concert had to be moved and in turn, her family was already scheduled to be on vacation on the date of the concert. This meant that Nova was going to be in band practicing everyday for a concert she would never perform. For many kids, this would be zero inspiration to do anything. Instead, Nova moved around in her section and learned other parts, playing with the younger students and helping them learn their music better. So instead of learning one part for the concert, she learned lots of parts in order to help others and in turn help her section and her band. Our hats are off to you and all that you do to help yourself and your band improve. Thank you, Nova!
- Aubrey is a senior percussionist and also a talented banjo player. He is very musically inclined but is known to be a bit of a goof and he doesn't always apply himself to his fullest ability. Needless to say, when he took his chair test in December a whole new Aubrey appeared! It was clear that he had practiced and done so in a consistent, methodical manner. His playing was finally representing what we knew all along - that he's a great percussionist and a wonderful musician! This is his last semester in high school and these will be his last performances with the Blanchard Band. We're so proud that they the band will benefit from the great playing of this talented, corny joke telling, banjo playing young man. Keep it up, Aubrey, and let's go out on a high note!
How to get credit for your monthly newsletter grade! Due by Friday, January 22nd!
Remember, newsletters are only accepted during the month of the newsletter. Once the month has passed, that newsletter can no longer be submitted.