Team Bobcat News
MIS Weekly Update
March 21st-25th Edition
Happy Week Before Spring Break!
Upcoming Important Dates
Mon. Mar. 21 - 5th Science EOQ
Tues. Mar. 22 - Reading EOQ
Wed. Mar. 23 - Math EOQ
Thurs. Mar. 24 - Makeup and Two Day Testers/ End of 3rd Quarter
Fri. Mar. 25 - No School - Good Friday
Mon. Mar. 03/28 - Fri. Apr. 1 - Spring Break!!!
Fri. Apr. 1 - Optional Teacher Work Day
Tues. 04/05 - 3rd Quarter Grades Due
Tues. 04/05 - Staff Meeting
Tues. 04/05 - Orleans Hanna Assessment for 6th Grade
Wed. 04/06 - Makeup Orleans Hanna Assessment
Thurs. 04/07 - 7th Grade Registration at MIS for 6th Graders
Thurs. 04/07 - Flex Tech PD - Google Tools
Thurs. 04/07 - OBX Parent/Chaperone Meeting at 6:00 p.m.
Fri. 04/08 - All Pro Dad @ 7:15 a.m.
Mon. 04/11 - MIS Spring Pictures
Mon. 04/11 - District Teacher Leader Meeting in MIS PD Room (11:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.)
Tues. 04/12 - MIS New Teacher Support @ 3:30 p.m.
Tues. 04/12 - School Board Meeting at Town Hall - 7:00 p.m.
Mon. 04/18 - 3rd Quarter Data Meeting w/ Dr. Edwards @ 2:30 p.m. - MMS
Wed. 04/20 - Early Release Day - MANDATORY Diversity Training for MIS Staff
3rd Quarter Grades
RESOURCE USE SURVEY - FLOCABULARY - LAST CHANCE!!!!!
"Attention users of BlackBoard, Angel and Respondus (Conversion Tool):
- Many of you have begun to think about end of year procedures related to BlackBoard and your content and courses. We are finalizing details with BB, but rest assured nothing will be deleted from your content. You will be able to easily transfer content to next year's courses.
- Angel access will go away at the end of this school year. This means you have until the end of school to get any data out of Angel you wish to keep. Again, Angel will be inaccessible after June 10, 2016. This includes, former courses, content, groups, LOR data, etc. SAVE/EXPORT YOUR DATA NOW.
- Many of you have utilized Respondus (the conversion tool) this year to export assessments and data from Angel to BlackBoard. This will also be inaccessible after June 10, 2016. SAVE/EXPORT YOUR DATA NOW. (Note: This is NOT Respondus LockDown Browser, we will still use it next year)."
MIS FAMILY COMMUNICATION SURVEY
5th Grade Science
Tech Tool Spotlight
Re-Discover Discovery Ed!
Focus #2: Techbooks
- Saves teachers time with its comprehensive design that includes model lessons, student activities, and assessments at their fingertips
- Supports differentiation through interactive features that change the reading level of text and enable text to be read aloud
- Is updated regularly"
Focus #1: Tips for Supporting Struggling Students
Focus #2: TenMarks' March Ten for Ten
"Use Amplifiers and Videos for Instruction Before Assignment"From the curriculum page, find a strand and click the preview icon (“eye-con” :). A preview of example questions will appear on the right side of the screen. Scroll to the bottom of the preview and there will be a listing of Videos, Amplifiers, and Jam Session Skills related to that strand. Here’s a video of how to find them. You could use these tools during your instruction or small groups and before the assignments are pushed out.
"Use Prerequisite Standards Document to plan"One of the best things about being a TenMarks customer is the network of resources that come from other customers! Educator Katie Kaystha is going to make you one happy teacher today: she outlined all of the prerequisite standards for each TenMarks Assignment in this handy document. Use this document to plan your instruction, pre-assess skills before a unit and/or assign Jam Sessions to practice prerequisite skills throughout a unit.
"Use the Top Three Most Common Mistakes"
After students have completed an assignment, click on it from your teacher dashboard and you will be provided with a lot of very useful insights including the “Top Three Common Mistakes”. Clicking on each mistake will also provide you a list of the exact students who made the mistake. This is a great feature to help you quickly decide what needs to be revisited in whole-group or small-group instruction the following day.
BONUS: "With Math I Can”Have you checked out www.withmathican.org yet? The “With Math I Can” campaign inspires students to toss out their fixed mindsets and opt for one of growth. Start by taking your class to the With Math I Can website, watching the video and taking the pledge. Then, explore the valuable resources and begin or continue your Growth Mindset journey. Educator Katie Kaystha created a wonderful short presentation that will help walk you through how to get started using www.withmathican.org.
Highlight: 4th Grade Math
Students were supplied with a resource chart that had various materials they could use to review the standards they needed more practice on!
Props to the 4th grade team for developing such a meaningful and differentiated way for students to review for their upcoming EOQ!