Blue Devil eNews
Reading Community City School District--September 2019
I cannot express how good it feels to see our staff and students back teaching and learning in our awesome new facility. We are so grateful because students in Reading deserve the best educational facility and now they have one. This time last year we were asking the Board to approve two calamity days because of flooding in the Reading Middle and High School building. When I see area schools closing because of the heat, I am grateful for a central air conditioning system that is creating a comfortable environment for our staff and students.
We are making history and starting a new era for Reading Schools. We had a great opening to school and there is an excitement in the air. We are adjusting to the new building and taking notes of what needs to be fixed or adjusted. Experts have shared that when you open a building of this size it takes a full year to monitor and complete these changes.
We are expecting our gymnasiums to open by October 1. I appreciate our physical education teachers and their creativity in keeping our students moving and engaged during their PE classes.
The district will be holding an official dedication ceremony this fall and plan on holding it during the school day and making students a key part of the celebration. We also plan on holding another community walkthrough during a weekend late this fall. When we have the dates set, we will be sharing these with our community.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this first week with drop off and pick up. Every day gets a little better and we will continue to adjust and make improvements.
It's a great time to be a Blue Devil!
Reading Blue Devil Staff 2019-2020
Drop Off & Pick Up Reminders
We have made the following changes to expedite the drop and arrival procedures:
- Reading Elementary students now have group numbers to facilitate the pick-up process.
- Cards for windshields will be sent out again to elementary parents. This includes family and single car pick up.
- Please have your group number clearly displayed on your car's dashboard.
- Preschool, kindergarten, first, and second graders will stand on the sidewalk at the elementary school entrance to expedite the loading of students into cars at dismissal.
- Only elementary students eating breakfast should be dropped off at the high school doors in the morning. Parents can begin circling around to the back doors at 8:20 a.m.
- Please inform the elementary office of any pick-up changes before 1 p.m.
- Third, fourth, and fifth grade will dismiss out the RMS doors. Group pick up will take place in front of Reading High School.
- RHS/RMS parents must drop off along the curb. Parents should merge into the curb lane and then drop off their child.
Formica Group Donates School Supplies
Reading School District is so appreciative of the ongoing generosity of our business partners. Year after year, the Formica Group holds a back-to-school supply drive. On Thursday, representatives from Formica dropped these supplies off to Reading Intermediate School Principal Susan Fraley.
Thank you to Formica for being such an awesome partner in education!
City of Reading Announces Benson Closure
The City of Reading asked the district to alert parents that Benson Road will be closed September 30-October 1, 2019 to make repairs to the railroad tracks. The company in charge of the repairs, American Track Inc, shared that they cannot put plates in the crossing while they are not working. There will be holes in the crossing and it won't be safe for vehicles to cross the tracks. Signs alerting drivers to the closure will be posted soon.
Updates from Food Service Department
For information regarding our meals program, please see our foodservice webpage. You will find information on nutritional content and allergens, menus, and pricing information. There is also information on applying for free and reduced meals. We are happy to be in our new facility with the ability to feature more fresh selections and a la carte options.
Reading's food service department is looking for energetic and smiling faces to work in our beautiful new facility. Please complete the application by visiting Rachel Wixey and Associates.com.