Week of December 13th, 2015
December 13, 2015
Jon Gordon has encouraged us to reflect and choose ONE word that would sets our vision and provides focus. ONE word that we can live every day to make ourselves better and our team stronger. Last year, my one word was breathe. I chose this word to help me to remember to slow down, be in the moment and listen. It was a reminder to me that I need to be still and take a deep breath when I feel like there is too much on my plate. I will strive to focus on this word during this final week of school before winter break. Please also remember your ONE word as we wrap up 2015 and if you haven't yet chosen ONE word, watch the video below by Jon Gordon and consider choosing one word for 2016.
Mentor Program- NOMINATIONS NEEDED!
We have about 25 high school students who have applied to be mentors for our students. TEACHERS: Please nominate student(s) who would benefit from having a high school mentor on THIS LINK. Sharon Veenhuis and I are conducting interviews of these applicants on Monday morning and will set up matches after these interviews. Our goal is for the program to begin after winter break.
Be sure to take a close look at laptops when students use them and before they are put back on the cart. Maybe two student leaders could review and report to the teacher if any are damaged before the cart is put back in the computer lab. If you have other suggestions, please share with all.
The week ahead...
Monday, December 14
- Holiday Socks or Crazy Socks Day
- I will be at the HS in the morning with Sharon Veenhuis for mentor interviews.
Tuesday, December 15
- Holiday "Green" Clothing Day
- CLASSROOM VISITS: Bright Smiles Dental Program will visit each classroom for about 5 minutes to explain what they will do when they come to our school in January
Wednesday, December 16
- Holiday Hat or Silly Hat Day
- 7:45 AM Staff meeting Kim Hunault's room. Michael Pepin will help us learn to navigate Minecraft EDU. We will have a quick discussion about BrainPOP as the subscription renewal is up.
Thursday, December 17
- Holiday Tie or Scarf Day
- I am taking a personal day.
- 4:00 Student Leadership Team Visits Whaley Children's Center to deliver donated books
Friday, December 18
- Holiday PJs and slippers day
There will be no MTSS on the 21st or 22nd due to field trips and parties. Arrangements can be made for tier 2/3 students to have group time. Please work out details with MTSS aides.
Beth will send out library schedule for those days as well.
Winter MTSS and STAR assessments are coming in early January. We will start with the upper grades on the Wednesday or Thursday that we return from winter break. A DIBELS schedule is coming soon.
It's going to be a great week!
Swartz Creek Community Schools
MISSION: Swartz Creek Community Schools inspires our learners to embrace challenges, set goals, grow their talents, and realize their dreams for success in a global society.
VISION: Swartz Creek Community Schools provides a world class education through innovative experiences while developing the unique talents of our learners.BELIEF STATEMENTS:
- We believe in a culture of learning.
- We believe that student learning should be the primary goal for all decisions made affecting the school district.
- We believe the climate and culture of the school is engaging, nurturing, challenging, and inspires students to express their personal ideas.
- We believe curriculum is integrated, differentiated, meaningful, and pertinent to life.
- We believe in culturally relevant education that provides the knowledge and skills to meet the global challenges and opportunities of the 21st Century.
- We believe in continuous improvement informed by critical evaluation and reflection.
- We believe expanding technologies enrich how teachers teach and students learn.
- We believe in building relationships and sharing resources with our community, parents, and staff members.