Westland Weekly Update for June 6
THIS WEEK- The Week of June 6
MYP Exit Interviews- Our 8th grade exit interviews conclude on Tuesday, June 7th. Congrats to the students who rocked their interviews last week!
Looking Ahead to the Week of June 13
Parent Meet and Greet- Our NAACP parent representative leaders invite you to a meet and greet in our courtyard on Tuesday, June 14. (see below)
8th Grade Promotion/Awards Ceremony- On Wednesday, June 15, 8th graders will have their promotion ceremony at school at 8:30 AM with students and staff in attendance. Parents may join for photos at 10 AM. (see below)
Last day of School- The last day of school is Friday, June 17. Students will be dismissed at 12:30 PM.
Congrats to These Artists with Work on Display at the Mall
8th Graders, Get Ready for Interviews!
8th Grade Families: In order for your child to be prepared for your MYP exit interview this week or next week they should do the following:
- Check the MYP Exit Interview schedule here or in MyMCPS Classroom in their MYP Exit Interview Course so they know when their interview is scheduled.
- Practice presenting their slides with a partner during STAR or at home with a family member. The more they practice, the more prepared they will feel.
- Decide on a professional looking outfit that will make them feel confident and comfortable.
- Charge their Chromebook the night before their interview.
Good luck to our phenomenal 8th graders! We're excited for them to rock these interviews!
If you are moving over the summer and will not be returning to Westland or your child will NOT be moving on to Bethesda Chevy Chase HS, please let our counseling office secretary know at Sara_A_Belott@mcpsmd.org.
Also, please update any new addresses with Ms. Belott (even if you are staying at Westland) as it is very important that we have current addresses in Synergy.
Deadline for Spirit Wear/PE Clothes extended to June 12
8th Grade Celebration Events
Family Celebration/Picnic - Monday, June 13 from 6:00-7:30 PM.
- Bring the family to Westland for an outdoor picnic and photo ops to celebrate your student's promotion to high school.
8th Grade Promotion Ceremony - Wednesday, June 15 from 8:30 AM to 10:00 AM.
- Students will participate in a ceremony in the cafeteria that will be LIVESTREAMED for family and friends.
- Family may watch from Westland in designated classrooms from 8:30- 10:00 for convenient photo opportunities after the event.
~image credit Choong Deng Xiang/unsplash
STAR Lesson Archive
This week, students experienced a Leader in Me lesson and a lesson about Pride month.
- June 2- Pride Month
- May 31- Leader in Me- The Snooze Button Grade 6, Time Wasters Grade 7, Who’s the Boss Grade 8
- May 24- 6th/7th graders work on MYP portfolios, 8th graders MCAP testing!
- May 20- Wake Up Westland 5/20
- May 19- Asian American/Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander Heritage Month
- May 12- 8th Grade Events Slideshow
- May 3- MCAP math practice test and tools
- April 28- Thanks a Latte
- April 21- Leader in Me- Grade 6- Getting Organized, Grade 7- Prioritizing, Grade 8- Prioritizing
- Apr 7- Arab-American Heritage Month
~photo credit Steve Harvey
Running Resources- Some of our Greatest Hits!
- Attendance Procedures
- Bell Schedule
- COVID Screening Test Consent Opt In Form
- Food Resources- Daily Meal Pick Up at Dismissal
- Food Resources- Weekly Pantry Pick Up at STAR
- Food Resources- COMIDAS Todos los Días
- Food Resources- Articulos Semanales de la Despensa
- Harris Teeter Code- 1557!
- Inclusive (and Discriminatory) Language presentation
- Instead of calling home… presentation
- Mabel's Labels fundraiser
- Online Digital Tools Parental Consent Form
- See something, say something (Westland safety tip line)
- Westland Student Handbook 2021-22
Calendar- New info in bold
- Pride Month
- M, 6/6- 8th grade Celebratory Trip to Smokey Glen Farm
- Tu, 6/7- MYP 8th Grade Exit Interviews
- NEW DATE- M, 6/13- 8th grade Family Picnic at 6 PM (was previously advertised as 6/14)
- Tu, June 14- NAACP parents council meet and greet (WMS courtyard)
- W, 6/15- Promotion/Awards Ceremony at Westland, 8:30 AM (students and staff only), Parents may join for photo opps at 10:00 AM
- F, 6/17- Last Day of School for Students- Dismissal at 12:30 PM
- M, 6/20- Juneteenth Holiday for MCPS
Main Office (240.740.5850)
Principal- Alison Serino, Alison_L_Serino@mcpsmd.org
Principal Intern- Jason Jefferson, Jason_A_Jefferson@mcpsmd.org
Assistant Principal- Lorenzo Prillman, Lorenzo_R_Prillman@mcpsmd.org
Administrative Secretary- Terri Howells, Mary_T_Howells@mcpsmd.org
Attendance Secretary- Ken Sanchez, Kenneth_R_Sanchez@mcpsmd.org
Financial Specialist- Suzanne Marcou, Suzanne_W_Marcou@mcpsmd.org