Hoover Counseling Newsletter
September 28 - October 4
From the Counseling Office:
Our newsletter is sent to students and families about once a week to the email address indicated in your portal. Please check your student email daily.
Be sure to scroll down and read the general information, the featured Career of the Week, & specific grade level announcements.
Table of Contents
9th to 12th Grade
- General Announcements
- Featured Career of the Week
- College and Career Information
- GUSD College & Career Division Newsletter
- Career/Work Opportunities and Information
- GCC Dual Enrollment Information
- 12th-grade Announcements and Scholarships
- 11th, 10th, & 9th Grade Announcements
ALL Grade Level Announcements Below:
GUSD Virtual College & Career Fair is October 7th! Sign up today.
All Hoover students and their families are invited to attend the Glendale Unified School District Virtual College and Career Fair on Thursday, October 7th, from 4:30-6:30 pm. This is a great opportunity to connect with university reps and career professionals. There will be a ton of virtual booths with so much information from all over the country. It’s a one-stop shop for college and career exploration.
To register please click HERE
Need Help with Math?
Reflections Art Contest
It’s that time of year again! National PTA is hosting its annual Reflections art contest. This year’s theme is “I Will Change the World By…” and students can enter in the categories of Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography and the Visual Arts.
There is also a Special Artist category for students who identify as having a disability.
Entries are due no later than Friday, October 15.
For more information, please visit the Hoover HS Family Facebook page or email email@example.com.
It's Not Too Late to Join a Club!
Girls Who Code Club
Join Your Counselor on Thursdays During Ohana Time!
Hispanic Heritage Month
CTE After School Courses
Interested in taking a course after school for credit?
- Digital Art & Animation
- Drone Training
- Medical Assisting
- Intro to Video Game Design
- Water Safety
- Health Science and Nursing
- Quantum Computing
See the Flyer below!
For more information about the Quantum Computing course, click on the link below!
Do You Have a Chromebook?
ALL students are required to bring their Chromebook to school every day. We do not advise using your own computer because many apps that your teacher may use are Chromebook specific!
If you still need a Chromebook, you can pick one up in the Hoover Tech Center (HTC) next to the library, room 1211.
If you need help with your Google account password, email, portal, and more, visit the HTC for any help.
ATTENDANCE MATTERS: Absences and Truancies
Reminder: Join the PTA!
PTA is here for you. Association meetings have provided critical information on remote learning, the college application process and help with social / emotional well being.
Plus your membership dues and donations can help fund our yearly scholarships for seniors students. The PTA has given away $20,000 over the past four years.
Seniors become a member today to be considered for a scholarship and become part of the PTA's helping hand for your fellow students.
Free Homework Help!
Need some assistance with writing an essay? Stuck on that math equation? In addition to your teacher's office hours to get help, the Glendale Library and Khan Academy are providing FREE homework help! From live tutoring to useful study tools, to online classes, and much more!
Glendale Library: Click HERE for more information!
Free tutoring opportunities include:
College & Career Information 9-12
FEATURED CAREER OF THE WEEK: Chef
Education Required: High School Diploma & Culinary school
Click HERE for Detailed Information About This Profession
Check out the Fall UC Events Below!
Your Xello account is a great resource to gain more college and career information.
What is Xello?
Xello: Helps you create your own roadmap to discover more about yourself to plan your future through fun and interactive career exploration lessons, videos, and assessments.
Xello is free to all GUSD students. Yay!
Where do I sign up?
Go to your student account at Xello.gusd.net.
What is Xello?
Xello is free to all GUSD students. Yay!
Where do I sign up?
Click here to view Hoover High School Counseling Department College/Career Readiness Links Rev. 10/19/2020
Are You Between the Age of 14-17 and Interested in Law Enforcement?
Visit the GUSD College & Career Website!
College & Career Readiness Workshop Series
Community Service 2021-22
Looking for a job? Supermarkets Hiring Immediately:
See below for summer's GYA Employment Programs.
You can also start your job search at snagajob.com.
- Highest Paying Occupations: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/highest-paying.htm
- Fastest Growing Occupations: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/fastest-growing.htm
- Most New Jobs: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/most-new-jobs.htm
Glendale Community College
What GCC classes should you take? Always discuss with a GCC counselor!
GRADE LEVEL ANNOUNCEMENTS BELOW:
- Check the senior google classroom weekly for the most up to date information.
- School portraits are now up online to order. Click on this link to order: https://fotoramastudio.simplephoto.com/, enter your student ID# as the password to view your photo.
- Don't forget to turn in your brag sheet to me if you need a letter of recommendation this year. You can find the brag sheet at this link https://www.gusd.net/Page/4228. Please allow two weeks advance notice for your letter.
Senior Sunrise is this Friday October 1, 2021 from 6-8am.
The College and Career Fair is October 7, 2021 4:30-6:30pm online! I encourage all Seniors to attend.
California State University Application Clinics
The Cal State Application is due November 30, 2021
FAFSA PARENT NIGHT 🤑
- Both parents and students are encouraged to attend this virtual event. The college adviser from GHS and I, Ms. T, will be hosting this presentation and reviewing all the questions addressed on the flyer.
- Please note that this event is strictly for Hoover and GHS students and parents!
CollegeBoard Opportunity Scholarship
It provides you a chance to earn $500 for each step you complete. When you complete all six steps including 1. build your college list, 2. Practicing for the SAT using Khan Academy, 3. Apply for scholarships, 4. Finalize your college list with a mix of safety, match & reach schools, 5. Complete the FAFSA, and 6. Apply to Colleges, you will have a chance to win a $40,000 scholarship!! Students whose families earn less than $60,000 per year have double the chances to earn scholarships. Learn more at cb.org/opportunity and join. Watch this video to learn more about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH_WFXXkiv4
💥 College Updates 💥
➡️ UC applications are now open.
Deadline: November 30
➡️ Cal State University applications will open October 1, 2021.
➡️ FAFSA / CA Dream Act will open October 1, 2021.
👀 College Representative Visits
Please register for these events prior to the event. You will receive a confirmation email with the zoom link.
September 21 - Woodbury University - 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm
September 22 - California State University, Long Beach - 2:30 pm - 3:30 pm
September 23 - USC - 11:55 am - 12:55 pm
October 7 - FIDM - 11:55 am - 12:55 pm
Please click on each flyer to view and access the links attached!
College Opportunities 🗺️
September 23, 2021 - 5:00 pm
Zoom ID: 4418864032
Zoom Password: CSUNASCE
All information and deadlines must be verified by the applicant
Deadline: March 2, 2022
- Be of Legal status in the United States.
- Be a current high school senior, expecting to graduate in Spring 2022 and attend college/university in the Fall of 2022 OR a current undergraduate student enrolled at a 2 or 4 year college/university.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 (C+) or higher.
- A Bold.org Account (follow link or QR code)
- 2.5> GPA
- Current Undergrad Student or HS Senior planning to attend college/university
- Valid Email Address
- Phone Number
- 400-600 word essay: WHAT QUALITY/CHARACTERISTIC DO YOU VALUE MOST IN YOURSELF AND WHY? HOW DO YOU FEEL HAVING THIS QUALITY/CHARACTERISTIC WILL HELP YOU IN YOUR LIFE JOURNEY?
- 5 week grades are now posted please check your student portal for your current grades.
- If you are not enrolled in my Google Classroom (maybe you unenrolled or are new to the school), email me so I can add you.
- Check your student email at least once a day. This will help you prepare for college, scholarships, work, and more in the future as email is the main form of communication for many places.
- If you want to see if you can get your AP test(s) discounted, make sure your parents complete the income survey on the Q Parent Portal. The step by step instructions are posted on my google classroom.
If you are having issues with GCC class registration, Mrs. Cuevas will have iDual Hub Zoom room open for students to drop in:
Tuesday, 8/30, from 3:00-6:00
Wednesday, 9/1, from 4:00-6:00
iDual Hub Link: https://cccconfer.zoom.us/j/95656314296
Zoom ID: 956 5631 4296
College Planning Support for Juniors
Juniors can kick-start their college planning by searching for colleges and scholarships on BigFuture™. They can build and save a college list and also opt in to let the colleges on their list know that they’d like to learn more about their programs.
Let's Stay Connected!
Here are some ways for us to stay connected:
- 📚 Google Classroom: I have invited each of you to my Google Classroom where I will post important updates and information. Please check the page often! If you don't see the invite, please email me and I will send you the code.
- ☎️💻 Don't see your answer on the FAQ page? Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org OR click here to book a time to speak over the phone or via Zoom
- Be sure to follow the Hoover Counseling Office on Instagram! @HooverHighCounseling
A Message from Ms. Iraheta
All DSA members must attend the GUSD Virtual College and Career Fair on Thursday, October 7th, from 4:30-6:30 pm. This is a great opportunity to connect with university reps and career professionals. There will be tons of virtual booths with so much information from all over the country. It’s a one-stop shop for college and career exploration. The flyer is at the beginning of this newsletter. Register today.
Counselor Connect Thursdays 11:55-12:25
Check my Google Classroom for information and dates that there will be a 10th-grade Counselor Connect event. Be sure to join. Topics include graduation requirements, a-g college admission, PSAT, SAT/ACT, career readiness, guest speakers, stress management, etc.
- Visit my counseling page regularly for announcements, my booking calendar, and videos at https://www.gusd.net/Page/4216.
- If you are not enrolled in my Google Classroom (maybe you unenrolled or are new to the school), I sent an invitation to your student email. Be sure to accept.
- Check, Check, Check your student email at least once a day. This will help you prepare for college, scholarships, work, and more in the future as email is the main form of communication for many places.
Email me or book a meeting with me (see below) if you have questions about a class, academics, credits, graduation, college, etc. and I am happy to help you.
If you need to see me immediately due to an urgent personal problem or an emotional situation, please ask your teacher for a pass to go to the counseling office and let the secretary or staff know that it is important to speak to me right away.
You Can Book Me Link: https://msirahetahhscounselor.youcanbook.me/
Have an awesome week!
Just some reminders:
- Visit my counseling page regularly for announcements, my booking calendar, and resources https://www.gusd.net/Page/14692#calendar34295/20210831/month
- If you are not enrolled in the Class of 2025 Google classroom (maybe you unenrolled or are new to the school), email me so I can add you.
- Check your student email at least once a day, and use it when sending me an email. If you use a non-GUSD issued email your message may be filtered into my spam folder
Hoover High School
Counselors are available via email and via You Can Book Me. Please contact your counselor if you need help or have any questions.
Be sure to stay in touch at: hooverhs.org
Follow us on:
@hooverhighcounseling on Instagram
@hoovertornados on Instagram
Dr. Earl's Daily Spin on Facebook