ASPIRE 5th Weekly News
January 8, 2016
Dates to Remember:
January 11 - Deadline to turn in Opt Out form for the maturation video and Play It Safe.
January 13 - Math Olympiad Competition 3
January 15 - Book orders due, maturation video during specials and STAR WARS DAY in ASPIRE 5!!!!!
January 18 - MLK Holiday - No School
January 22 - Spelling Bee
January 29 - Lunch with the Principal
February 5 - Play It Safe
Field trip scheduled for January 28 had to be rescheduled. Stay tuned for updates.
A Peek at Last Week
Scientists at Work:
This week our scholars presented their arguments to our city council about whether or not fracking should be allowed in our community. Each scholar played a part - citizens For Fracking, citizens Against Fracking, City Council Member, or Mayor. After hearing all of the arguments, the City Council decided - YES - they would approve fracking in the community. After the council meeting an informal poll was taken and the citizens voted against fracking in their community.
This past week the Scholars learned about "the shot heard round the world" and read excerpts from Thomas Paine's Common Sense. They are feeling the tensions between the Patriots and the Tories building. Many scholars were surprised that the war began before the Declaration of Independence was signed.
Next Week in Our Classes
Math:6th Grade Accelerated Math
- Using percent, proportion and equation to solve real world percent problems.
5th Grade Math
- Multiplication and division of decimal numbers Unit test
- Adding and subtracting fractions
- Book clubs- reading scholar selected books set during the Revolutionary War period while Thinking Like a Disciplinarian (Historian, Linguist, Philosopher, Psychologist, and Sociologist) - presentations of book to class
- Analyzing the Declaration of Independence
- Southern region states and capitals test
- Analyzing the movements and relationships between the sun, moon, and earth
- Collaborating with small groups
- Presentations to class
STAR WARS DAY is Friday, January 15, 2016!!!
Middle School ASPIRE Informational Meeting
There will be an informational meeting for ASPIRE 5 parents to learn about the ASPIRE Academy at Cross Timbers Middle School. This informational meeting will be designed with the middle school ASPIRE student experience in mind. The date has not been determined at this time - we will keep you informed.
Reading Rewards and the 40 Book Challenge
Mr. Boykin's BLOG
Mrs. Fullhart's BLOG with links to student blogs
And on Facebook:
"Like" our page - ASPIRE Academy 5th Grade
"Like" the ASPIRE Academy at Glenhope page
We will also be utilizing the app Remind 101. To sign up:
ASPIRE 5th Grade Group (it states Fullhart, but is both classes) - Text @aspire5 to 81010
Fullhart Math - Text @fullha to 81010