Charles Ellis Montessori Academy, Week of January 17, 2022
I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits." Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
When we introduce our children to a world of wonder and compassion then we are truly "Educating the WHOLE CHILD for a WHOLE WORLD". How will you serve our children?
January 17- Dr. MLK Jr. Day- No School!
January 22- Choice Program Application Window Opens
January 22- PTA Parent Advocacy Workshop
January 27- PTA Meeting
January 28- DDDD Supporting the Red Cross
February 4- Choice Program Application Window Closes
February 21- Staff Planning Day- No School for Students!
March 4- Choice Program Lottery
*NEW* Student Illness Notification Form
After we receive your form response, a member of the Ellis Covid Contact Tracing Team will contact you. Do NOT bring your student to the school building before an Ellis staff member contacts you.
In addition to completing this form, please contact your student's teacher so that they are aware of the situation.
It is recommended that you bookmark the link to the form on your phone/device for easy access. It will also be available on the Ellis website.
Vaccination Cards MUST be on File
However, we MUST have your student's COVID-19 vaccination card on file in order for your student to avoid getting sent home if they are identified as a close contact.
Choice Program Lottery
You can find more information about the choice program lottery on the Ellis website.
PTA Parent Advocacy Workshop
This FREE event is open to all Ellis families. If you would like to join, please register at this link.
This week in School Counseling, we practiced Coping Skills and discussed Academic Responsibility to help students be prepared to be successful academic learners. Next week, Primary and Lower Elementary students will have storytime using the book Some Days I Flip My Lid: Learning to be a Calm, Cool Kid.
Note for 8th Grade Families- Choice School applications open on January 22. Visit choice.sccpss.com and high school websites for more info about criteria. If you missed last month's High School Info Session, click here for the recording or click here to view a pdf of the presentation. Also, to learn more about future opportunities, click here to understand the Dual Enrollment program.
Please let us know if your student needs anything, including a school counselor check-in, peer mediation session, or resources such as the Backpack Buddies free food program. Additional resources are available on the School Counseling Website including a list of mental health professionals, relaxation activities, and family newsletters.
Rebecca Burkhart- Primary and Lower Elementary School Counselor
Wesley Cooper- Upper Elementary and Erdkinder School Counselor
PTA Spirit Gear
If you haven't yet joined the PTA, you may also do that on the same site.
Thank you for your support!
Leopold's Creative Writing Challenge
Open to all Kindergarten-8th grade students
Entry Deadline: February 11th
Visit the Live Oak Public Library website for more information
School-Wide Grace & Courtesy Focus
The language for identifying/naming UNITY/LOYALTY in "The Self-Awakened Child" series by Jonathan Wolff:
- When I think that all animals, birds, bugs, plants, and people are all part of Earth's big family, I am thinking about Unity.
- When I look at all the ways people who look and talk different than I do are like me, I am thinking with Unity.
- When I choose to be your friend and I am your friend forever, no matter what happens, I am being Loyal.
- When whatever I do or say helps our friendship grow closer and better and I never purposely do anything to hurt you, I am being Loyal.
- When my words and actions are the same as the love and truth of my heart, I am being Loyal to myself.
Use this link to order your copy today!
Yearbooks will be delivered in April/May to your student(s).
If you have any questions, contact Ms. Lisa (firstname.lastname@example.org).
From the Clinic
Please review the flowchart on the Nurse's page of the Ellis website.
If your student has been vaccinated for Covid-19, please send a copy of the vaccination card to Nurse Chris for her records.
Nurse Chris' email address has changed to email@example.com
If your child is (or will be) absent for any reason, please email your child's teacher AND copy Nurse Chris on the email.
If your student is classified as a "Close Contact" with someone who has COVID-19 at school, you will receive a phone call from someone on the Ellis Contact Tracing team to pick them up immediately. When you pick up your student, you will be provided with a letter from Nurse Chris outlining further instructions including when your student will be allowed to return to the building. You can view that letter template on the Nurse's page of the Ellis school website for your future reference. It is also listed in the updated Ellis Family Handbook.
- If it is a rainy day (without thunder/lightning) dismissal, students will still be dismissed to walk home/Circle Park. They must leave the school grounds once they leave the building.
- If it is a severe weather (with thunder/lightning) dismissal, students must wait in the MPR for an approved adult to pick them up from the MPR door on Battey St.
- Students are NOT allowed to hang out/wait outside of the school doors once they leave the school building. This is a liability as there is no adult supervision outside of the school.
- There is NO adult supervision by school staff at Circle Park since it is off school grounds. It is up to the parent/guardian to ensure that their student is behaving in a safe and appropriate manner.
Devices Brought to School Daily
Students must also have their own set of earbuds/headphones. We cannot share these items among students for hygiene reasons.
If you would like your student to keep their device at school, please contact your student's teacher to arrange that.
Thank you for your help with teaching our students to be responsible for their school materials.
Here's how you can enroll and participate in just a few steps:
- Visit publix.com/partners and select our school: Charles Ellis Montessori- Savannah, GA
- Provide your phone number every time you check out at Publix.
- Publix will donate a portion of qualifying purchases to our school!
The PTA is calling all local business owners to consider investing in our school by being a PTA Business Sponsor. See attached form below. We appreciate your consideration and help spreading the word out to our community about this great opportunity
If you haven't joined the PTA yet, please do!
Joining the PTA is a small but significant way to get involved in our school and to make a difference in the lives of our Ellis community.
WE NEED YOU!
There is still PTA Committee Chairs open:
If you are a parent/guardian of a new Ellis student, request to join the Ellis PTA Facebook Group to connect with us.
Ms. Tanya Melville
Student Information Specialist
Ms. Ja'Dayia Coleman-Kennedy
Information Specialist Clerk
Ms. Lucy Holloway
Ms. Patricia Solomon-Brown
Library Media Technology Specialist
PTA Teacher Liaison
Ms. Lisa O'Donnell