3H Class Newsletter
February 14, 2014
Our Valentine's Day Party!
It's been a crazy past couple of weeks between snow days and delayed openings! Although we did miss our readers retreat (which is rescheduled for this Friday, February 21), we were lucky enough to have our Valentine's Day Party. The party was so much fun. We can't wait to show you our amazing picture frames once we bring them home.
A very special thank you is in order to Mrs. Whelehan and Ms. Glazer for planning such an amazing party as our room parents, to Mrs. Bayer, Mrs. Meeker, and Mrs. Westover for the spectacular food and crafts, and to all of the parents who helped make our party such a success!
Check Out What We've Been Learning!
We also spent some fun time this week writing Valentine's Day stories using candy hearts. The children loved writing them, and they turned our fabulous!
Reading: We loved reading the story Yonder Mountain! It was really neat to read a legend and think about the history of the story. In this Native American legend we learned an important lesson about helping others. We also practiced the skills of comparing and contrasting both on paper and on the i-pads!
Math: We continued to learn more about geometry by making triangles and quadrangles with straws and comparing and contrasting their properties. We also learned about angles and turns including right angles or quarter turns, half turns, and three quarter turns.
Science: We added our third variable, iodine, to our five unknown substances. We're starting to come up with some fabulous predictions for our unknown white substances including salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
Scholastic Book Fair
We really appreciate the books that families donated to our classroom! The children can't wait to get their hands on the new books.
- Both Tuesday and Wednesday will be Day 5. We have Phys. Ed. on both of those days. Don't forget sneakers!
- Readers Retreat this Friday, February 21- Don't forget your sleeping bag and book!
- Please make sure your child practices his/her multiplication facts each evening. Each Friday we will have a five-minute 100-question multiplication fact test. Every child should set a weekly goal of trying to answer more questions than the previous week and an end goal of answers all 100 questions.
- Please make sure your child reads each evening and updates his or her reading log!
- March 3-7 Read Across America Week
Alexis' Russian Doll Book
Alexis brought in this amazing book about matryoshka dolls, which we've been seeing on some of the olympic courses!
Becca and Kelise Making a Venn Diagram
Lots of I-Pad Work at the White Table
Specials Next Week (2/18/14)
Study Island & Phys. Ed.
Wednesday - Day 5
Study Island & Phys. Ed.
Thursday - Day 6
Library & Art
Friday - Day 1
Spanish & Phys. Ed.