March 25th - April 5th
Wednesday, April 10th
- 4th Grade Outdoor Education Parents Meeting, 6:30pm Harper Auditorium
Wednesday, April 17th
- General PTO Meeting: Special Presentation for incoming HMS 5th grade parents with GLAd Aaron Dubnow and Q&A Parent Panel, 9am Harper Auditorium
- Incoming Kindergarten Orientation Presentation, 6:30pm Harper Auditorium
Friday, April 19th
- No School, Good Friday
Wednesday, April 24th
- 4th Grade Music Concert
Thursday, April 25th
- Early Release Day, Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Scholastic Book Fair in Cafeteria 11am-3pm
Friday, April 26th
- No School, Parent/Teacher Conferences
Monday, April 29th
- PASS39 Parent Education Evening
- Topic: What is Executive Functioning? Strategies will be provided to support in the classroom and beyond.
- Location: MEC
- Time: 7:00pm - 8:30pm
- Parent Night to Follow
Assistant Principal Ryan's News to Note
We hope that our Harper students and families have a wonderful spring break! There is so much to look forward to in the last part of the school year, and we will launch into more great things when the kids return.
Our week is ending on a high note as two members of our team received a Gripp Grant to bring a Sensory Path to the halls of Harper for all kids to use. Congratulations Anne Clark and Muffy Pinney! Thank you Education Foundation!
- April 17th 5:30-7:00pm - Open House visit with our new Superintendent, Dr. Kari Cremescoli at WJHS (click here for information)
- Conference sign-up opens on April 8th at 9:00am! Conferences are 4/25 and 4/26 for grades 1-4 and 4/23, 24, 25 for kindergarten.
- 3rd and 4th graders will take the Illinois Assessment for Readiness from April 9-16th in the areas of Math and ELA.
Harper PTO - A message from the PTO President
The Harper PTO 2019-20 slate is almost completely FILLED! For a complete list of slate names and positions, please head on over to our PTO Website to check it out. Click here for PTO link.
Thank you to our fabulous nominating committee (Sissy Polacek, Amanda Callahan, Liz Hayes, Jessica Reynolds and Carrie Diamond) for working so hard to fill the PTO positions and to all the parents who signed up to volunteer next year!
We have several key spots still available so please consider donating your time to Harper and the students!
HARPER HOEDOWN - Need 1-2 Co-Chairs and a support committee of 4-5 people.
* If we don’t have a chair/co-chair raise their hands soon, then we will unfortunately be canceling this event for 2019-20!
ENVIRONMENTAL CHAIR - Need 1 person to maintain Environmental communication in Harper Happenings and practices throughout Harper School
JUNIOR GREAT BOOKS READING CLUB - Need 1-2 Co-Chairs to run kids fun reading program once a week during winter recess time.
COMMUNITY SERVICE COMMITTEE - Needs more helping hands to round out this giving committee. Join the 4 current members
It takes a village, so please consider joining this amazing group of Harper Parents. For further information; contact Carrie Diamond at firstname.lastname@example.org or Sissy Polacek at email@example.com
Pop-Up Book Fair
- Join us for the first ever pop-up Scholastic Book Fair on Thursday April 25th from 11am-3pm in the Harper Cafeteria. This will be a smaller version of the Fall Book Fair, for one day only. Come and pick up some new releases, browse some old favorites, and get a head start on your Summer reading. Profits from the Book Fair go right back into our school! If you can't make it in person, please visit the online Book Fair from 4/23 to 4/29 at http://www.scholastic.com/bf/harperelementaryschool. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with questions. Hope to see you there!
After School Clubs
- Checkmate! Chess Club registration is open! Chess Club will run after school Mondays April 8 - June 3 until 4:30. Everyone from beginners to experts are welcome to come and enhance their game. Students will be studying opening theory, middle game planning and endgame combinations, plus tactics and strategies to enhance their skill set. Click here for details and to register through the Wilmette Park District.
- Think Spring! The Harper Garden will officially re-open on Tuesday, April 16th. Sign up HERE to volunteer. A garden co-chair will be on hand to run activities with your help, and this is the ONE volunteer opportunity at Harper that allows little siblings to attend!
iGNITE! Enrichment Information
Thank you to iGNITE! for the following Enrichment Experiences!
- Mark you calendars with the below upcoming iGNITE! sponsored events:
- Attention 3rd grade: There will be an upcoming field trip on Thursday, April 18th to see The Time Warp Trio at Lifeline Theater in Chicago. Buses Leave at 9:30 am sharp! There will be no need to pack lunches as students will be back at Harper for lunch.
- February 4th through April 1st -- 1st Grade Yoga! Classes will participate in a yoga program led by Lisa Weber E-RYT with Heaven Meets Earth Yoga in Evanston. Lisa will hold 30 minute sessions for each class every Monday for a total of seven sessions. The program will help teach students how to calm their minds and it will build upon the growing research showing the health benefits of a mindfulness practice. This program is brought to you by iGNITE!
Community Service Corner & News
Special Education Hockey
The Wilmette Hockey Association is excited to announce a Spring session of Special Education Hockey - and registration is open!
When: Saturdays from 2:45 - 3:45 p.m. Clinics begin Saturday, March 23rd and run through Saturday, May 11th. 8 sessions.
Where: Centennial Ice Rink in Wilmette
Program Audience: Participation is cross categorical - any student aged 4 - 10 who presents with autism to developmental delay to behavior disorder and on through to cognitive impairment. For any interested child who falls outside of the listed age range, please contact the Special Education Hockey Director about potential participation on a per case basis.
For more information, please open the attached link.
SFX PREP Board hosts Family Service Center’s Presentation "Parenting in this Digital Era” held Thursday, April 4th, 7:00 - 8:30 pm at St. Francis Xavier’s School Atrium.
the Warming House Youth Center Annual Benefit & Silent Auction will be held Saturday, April 6th, 7:00 - 10:00 pm at the Wilmette Golf Club
Oakton Community College hosts summer STEAM camps and classes for students ages 8-12. Registration is now open.
Northwestern’s Center for Talent Development offers Weekend Enrichment Programs for students age 3 through 8th grade.
Love to sing? Youth Choral Theatre of Chicago offers a free vocal training class with flyer. Vocal classes available for children ages 4-18.
The Center Fitness Club schedule and various park district classes for children are posted.
Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
New Trier Green Varsity hockey team made it to the state championship vs. Loyola Gold! The game is Friday, 3/22, at 7:30 pm at the United Center. New Trier Varsity girls hockey team will play in the championship game at 4:30. The games are sponsored by the Blackhawks and they are giving away free Blackhawk backpacks to the first 10,000 fans. The anthem singer, Jim Cornelison, will also be there. Tickets are only $5 and available on the link below. It is really a fun family event to support New Trier and previous Harper students!
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org