Middle School SUMMER Update #3
July 18, 2022
Dear Oakdale Families,
Please read on for the school supply lists, testing data information, and other important information.
Reminder: if you have moved into a different school district, are planning on attending private school, or are homeschooling next year, please let our enrollment secretaries know (email@example.com).
Reminder for information day: You will be delayed on information day if you have not completed and uploaded all of your enrollment documents and/or if you have any outstanding balances. Please check your email to see if your middle school child did not turn in all of his/her school Chromebook or if there were any damages for which you are liable. We will collect that before you are given your child's 22-23 schedule (search for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you purchase your own school supplies, please bring them on information day. The teachers will have a system for where things go in the middle school pod.
Lastly, please save the date for August 2nd from 6-8pm. We are hosting a seminar night for Middle School Parents (5th-8th). This will feature speakers about adolescent mental health, phone and internet safety, and school safety in general. I'll send out more information next week via email.
Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Summer Reading Challenge Sponsored by our Middle School Library!
Oakdale Middle School Library
Summer Reading Program
BINGO Card Reading Challenge
Instructions: Read or listen to books that meet the criteria for five squares in a row to get a BINGO. Record the author and title of each book the appropriate square. (BINGO board on back.)
One BINGO earns you a reward.
If you complete two BINGOS, you get lunch in the MS Library.
Books may not be used for more than one square on the BINGO board.
Books should be read between May 20-August 10.
Return BINGO card to the MS Library by Thursday, August 18.
*see the full text and BINGO card on this LINK
Chromebook Protection Plan for 6th-8th grade students
Students in sixth through eighth grade are issued a Chromebook, charging cord, and protective carrying case. The Oakdale School Student Technology Protection Plan has been established to give parents the option to purchase protection covering the repair or replacement costs of the technology package. The cost for the protection plan during the 2022-23 school year is $25 per student. If you choose to purchase this plan be sure to do so for each student receiving the Chromebook. Families are strongly encouraged but not required to participate in this voluntary program. For those who opt-in, the protection plan must be purchased BEFORE the student takes possession of the technology package. Payments for the protection plan will be accepted beginning Monday, July 18th. The plan is effective until June 30, 2023.
Protection Plan Coverage:
If purchased, the Student Technology Plan covers damage to the technology package items as follows:
100% of the FIRST incident of damage or theft
50% of the SECOND incident of damage or theft
0% of any additional incident of damage or theft - After two incidents, the parent/guardian is responsible for all repairs and replacement costs.
This plan does not cover lost equipment; only damaged or stolen equipment.
STOLEN CLAIMS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH A POLICE REPORT.
Purchase your plan HERE.
Come Sub for Us!
School Supply Lists Linked Below (in case you didn't preorder)
Important Dates to Note...
- Middle School Parent (5th-8th) Seminar Night (6pm-8pm) *more info to come*
- Substitute Teacher Training 2pm-3pm in the FA auditorium
- Information Day (Meet your teacher and schedule pick up) 3pm-5pm
- First day of 22-23 school year
- New Family Breakfast
- Labor Day Weekend (NO SCHOOL)
Our neighbors across the street asked us to share this info with you!
Accessing your child's 2022 OSTP results
Families can now view their student’s preliminary reports for the Oklahoma School Testing Program (OSTP) in the OSTP Parent Portal. Please note that new enhancements have been made to the OSTP Parent Portal. One student can now be associated with up to three guardian or parent accounts and one parent account can be tied to multiple students. These enhancements to the OSTP Parent Portal require all users to create an account as a ‘First Time User’ beginning June 14, 2022.
In order to create an account in the OSTP Parent Portal, you will need your student’s state ID number and date of birth.
Please find your student’s state ID number in a recent email from the school. If you cannot find your email, please email Jill Willhoite (email@example.com).
OSTP Parent Portal: https://okparentportal.emetric.net
Once on the OSTP Parent Portal site, users will enter the student’s State ID and date of birth, then click go. Then users will enter their email address and create a password for accessing the portal. Please contact Jill Willhoite (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions or concerns.
School Day Times
- doors open for students to enter the building
- Breakfast begins
- doors are closed/locked
- students are expected to be in their seats in their home rooms
- PreK AM pickup begins at the FA entrance
- K/1st lunch
- 2nd/3rd lunch
- 4th/5th lunch
- 6th/7th/8th lunch
- students are dismissed to bus/carpool
Free Hotspot from TMobile
Once you have everything you need, you can visit the Project 10Million website to apply now. If you need assistance applying, you may bring a physical or digital copy of your proof of eligibility document to a T-Mobile store.
- Tell us about yourself – Provide your name, email, and language preference.
- Enter your shipping address – Provide an address we can send your hotspot device to. Sorry, no PO boxes and military addresses.
- Create an account PIN – Enter a PIN number you will remember. You’ll use this to access your account if you need to contact us.
- Upload Proof of Enrollment – You’ll be asked to enter your student’s info and to upload a digital copy or photo of your student’s NSLP Notification or Direct Certification letter. Your NSLP letter needs to be dated for the school year 2019 or later..
- Submit your application and verify your email – You will be notified immediately if your application is accepted and we’ll send you an email to verify your identity. Important: You must complete this verification step to receive your Project 10Million device and account.
After your application is accepted, you’ll be sent emails notifying you of your hotspot’s shipping status, welcoming you to the program, and providing you a dedicated number to contact in case you need assistance.
Apple users: To take a photo of your document to upload, you must change your camera settings. In the Settings app, select Camera. Select Format, then choose Most Compatible.
Washington DC & NYC student trip
Dear 5th, 6th, & 7th grade Parents,
We are excited to announce that Oakdale School students will again be traveling to Washington, DC & New York City to engage in history, government & the arts firsthand. Our last trip was such a HUGE success that we can’t wait to repeat it! We will travel May 23-27, 2023. This trip is available to Oakdale students who will be going into the 6th, 7th or 8th grade in the fall of 2022 and their parents.
Please see the attached pdf. for trip & registration information (Our trip number is A160).
School Sports Physical Information
Students wanting to participate in 2022-2023 Oakdale athletics must have a parent and/or guardian read and digitally sign the Concussion Signature Form, Cardiac Arrest Signature Form, and submit an sports physical that has been signed by both a doctor and parent/legal guardian. Sports Physicals expire June 30th every year. These forms can be accessed by clicking the link below. These must be digitally signed and submitted prior to any practice and/or competition. Your student will not be able to participate in school sports with out these forms submitted. You will need to fill out one Google form for each student in your household.
Paper Copies will not be accepted. You must use the link below to submit it.
- Google form which includes: Concussion Signature Form, Cardiac Arrest Signature Form, and submit a Sports Physical for your student
- PDF Version of Sports Physical (Please have doctor fill out and submit it using the google form above, remember one google form for athlete
Sports Physicals option for 2022-23 school year
From Minute Clinic:
Your athletes can schedule their Sports Physicals at a local MinuteClinic® at CVS. Each year, MinuteClinic provides thousands of sports physicals for athletes, either in-clinic or at an on-site event.
- MinuteClinic is open every day, including evenings. We are currently in Canadian, Cleveland and Oklahoma counties. Find a local clinic
- The typical cost for a sports physical is $69 – seasonally discounted rates are available (Note: physicals are a self-pay service)
- Outside of physicals, most services are billable to insurance, and we accept most insurances
- If the athlete is under 18 years old, please inform them to come with their legal guardian or parent
- Patients can go online to make an appointment at www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/services/sports-physicals or just scan the QR code below