Tuesday Literacy Coaches' Academy
December 2, 2014
Tools for Teaching and Leading: Discovery Education Literacy Strategies
Meeting Notes/Recap from Shayla Rexrode, Discovery Education
Access: Go to http://www.discovery.com
If you don’t know your DE credentials or those of your students please check with your Media Specialists.
Powerpoint templates, user guides, vignettes: http://www.discoveryeducation.com/Generic-Tool-Kit/index.cfm
Student Center: http://www.discoveryeducation.com/StudentCenterResources/
Main Landing Page- we are excited to introduce our new landing page that has several great resources worth utilizing!
- MY CONTENT-serves as your digital filing cabinet as well as folders to share and collaborate within schools and at the district level.
- Most Popular tab (middle of page)- learn about digital assets teachers across the country are accessing in a given week. You can filter by grade level/subject area.
- Global News- every Wed we post a new Global Wrap. This is a great way for students to start building connections to the outside world with content they are learning in your classroom. If you would like to share any parts of the Global Wrap with your students click on the blue arrow and select-share with classroom.
- Searching for digital assets- in the top search window you can simply add a topic or use the hyperlink to search by GA curriculum standards. We provide images, videos, video segments, encyclopedia articles, songs, fundamentals, math overviews/explanations..just to name a few.
- Spotlight on Strategies- enter the term in your search window to access 73 strategies that provide direct support around ELA. The strategies are applicable for grades K-12th.
- Transcripts- we have started adding a tab for transcripts when you open a video/video segment. The transcripts can be used to support vocabulary building via context
- Teacher Guides- if we have created a Blackline Master’s you can find them when you open a video/video segment and select the tab entitled, “Materials"
Builder Tools- along the top you should see a series of tabs. Select the tab entitled, “Builder Tools”.
- Writing Prompt Builder- allows you to create digital writing prompts with embedded digital resources. After you create a prompt you can share it with other teachers using the My Content area. You can also assign them to students for inclement weather activities.
- Board Builder-allows teachers and students to create digital bulletin boards-great way to introduce and support a flipped classroom environment. Students can use them to demonstrate understanding. Students can ONLY share with teachers. Teachers can then share it within their school, district level, or with the Discovery Education audience.
Resource: Another great website to utilize that directly supports an inquiry-based, collaborative classroom is PADLET- worth taking a look. I would recommend setting an account (FREE) so you can customize your URL to share with students. Students can then post comments. You can also introduce your students to Blabberize! Students can select images from Discovery Education, download it, and then upload into Blabberize.
Dr. Alisha Hill, 6-12 Literacy Coordinator
ELA SharePoint: http://tinyurl.com/apsELAsite
Remind 101 Updates: Text @aps612 to (678) 866-1954
Don't forget: December Coaches Academy Feedback Survey. In order to provide you with the follow up training and support we need your feedback!