ELAR Communique #5
K-12 Updates for LEISD
Our focus from the beginning was to teach our students what they need to be successful readers and writers, the fact that they are going to do well on our state assessments is just a bonus! So stay positive, with each other and with your students. I am so proud of the work you are doing!
This communique will focus on some review strategies for all grade levels-things you can do to remind your students of the great work they have done all year.
Book Ends: K-2 and 11-12
- Offer to tutor STAAR Grades-Your expertise is exactly what we need to finish this race!
- Encourage your friends! I am sure you have been there...be generous with hugs and happy thoughts.
- Pump up the kids-when you see tested students in the hall, let them know how proud we are of the work they are doing!!
- Keep up the good work in your classroom. K-2 is setting the stage and 11-12 is setting the standard! You are vital to the health of our K-12 ELAR Department!
A Different Way to Look at Genre/Reading Remediation
- Know-Basic Reading Comprehension
- Show-Skills in ELAR to show what we know about text
- Author's Craft-The deeper level of understanding that we are constantly pushing for.
When you look through your grade level documents, (link below Know-to-Show) I want you to think about the middle rows. That is where we find inferencing...and the dreaded Figure 19. Here is a familiar scenario: We teach a lesson on inferencing, it is, of course amazing. And...we still have students who can't inference. So we teach another lesson on inferencing. Right? But the problem is probably not really inferencing, it is the skills that come BEFORE inferencing! This chart breaks down the TEKS and puts them in an order where you can provide truly scaffolded, skills based instruction to push ALL students to the next level!!