Mrs. Mathews' May Newsletter
1st Grade--Richardson Elementary
Chromebook Check-In...Coming Soon
What are we learning?
Word Work: In this last quarter, we are working on diphthongs (au/aw, ew, oo, ou, ow, oi/oy).
Spelling: Our curriculum is complete! Keep working on spelling over the summer using great sites like Spelling City.
Writing: Students have finished a research paper on an animal of their choice. They are working on creating a Google Slide presentation on their topic to share at our reading and writing celebration. Students will experiment with poetry writing and enjoy free choice writing these last couple of weeks. I highly encourage you to have your child continue to write this summer, journaling about his/her experiences, vacations, etc.
Math: We are working on our last unit: graphing. Students will learn how to gather data using tallies, create bar graphs and pictographs, and read and interpret various graphs. Continue work on +/- fact fluency within 10 over the summer months as needed.
Science: We are currently exploring plant and animal needs, adaptations, and life cycles.
Dates to Remember
- Monday, May 8th--Last day for lunch visitors
- Tuesday, May 9th--Last Library Check-out Day...ALL books are due Friday, May 12th!
- Thursdsay, May 4th--Talent Show Try-outs during students' special class time
- Friday, May 12th @ 2:30--Mrs. Mathews' Class End-of-Year Celebration
- Tuesday, May 16th--First Grade "Beach Day"...see flyer below
- Tuesday, May 16th--Talent Show @ 1:30 in RHE gym
- Friday, May 19th--Field Day...See Sign-Up Genius already emailed out.
- Monday, May 22nd--LAST DAY OF SCHOOL...Early Release!
We did it! Please help first grade celebrate meeting our reading goal! On Tuesday, May 16th we are celebrating Beach Day! Your child may bring a beach towel, water bottle, sunglasses, a peanut free snack, and a vacation book from home. Your child might also want to wear a summer themed shirt (please keep our dress code in mind...no swim suits or spaghetti straps). Thanks for your support as we celebrate this exciting accomplishment!
First Grade Teachers
Mrs. Mathews's Class 1st Grade Reading and Writing Celebration
If you have not already, please click on the link below to RSVP for our celebration that you will or will not be able to attend. Only one RSVP per family please.