April is Month of the Military Child
Also, if you are a military family, we would LOVE to have you send in pictures of your Haymarket Cub with the military family member to showcase at Haymarket this month. Please ensure your child's first and last name are on the back of the picture, as well as the name of the family member, military branch, and rank.
Literacy Night and Family Book Fair Night
Tuesday, April 9th, 6-8pm
15500 Learning Lane
Spring Book Fair - Volunteers needed!
Dear Parents and Families,
The Scholastic Book Fair will be at our school April 8-12th and special family events are scheduled for Tuesday, April 9th. Our Book Fair theme for spring 2019 is Dino-Mite Book Fair: Stomp, Chomp and Read. A prehistoric land full of irresistible new books kids can’t wait to track down. We’d like your help to make this Book Fair experience for our students a stomping, chomping, reading good time! Please sign up for a day and time that you would like to volunteer. Thank you so much!
Sincerely, Ryane Zenoniani Book Fair Chairperson
April 8th-12th Book Fair
April 9th 6-8 pm Family Night (same night as Literacy Night)
If you would like to volunteer please visit our sign up genius. Thank you!
Bus Driver Appreciation Week
Basic SOL Tips
Parents often ask about ways to support their child during SOL testing. Here are some tips on how you can help your student do their best:
1. Keep positive attitudes about tests and encourage your student to do their best. A student who is relaxed and not stressed out will be able to concentrate more on simply doing his/her best on the test.
2. Make sure your child gets a good night’s rest and a healthy breakfast in the morning.3. Help your student keep the SOLs in perspective. It is an important test, but it is only one way to measure his/her achievement…talk with your child about all the other ways he/she excels personally and academically.
4. Ask about and encourage your student to use all the strategies his/her teachers have talked about and practiced with them.
5. It is important to make sure your child is up and to school on time. This way he/she has plenty of time to get their materials and relax before the test begins. Additionally, SOLs are a standardized test, so if your student misses the directions, he/she cannot join his/her testing group and will need to make-up the test.
Summer School Information
We are in the process of planning Summer School for summer 2019. Haymarket be hosting Summer school this year. The dates are July 8th-26th. Students who meet the criteria for tuition free summer school received a form for parents to complete and return to Haymarket. Please return forms as soon as possible to secure your child’s spot. Other students, who do not meet the criteria for free summer school, are eligible to attend by paying tuition.
"Elections for the PTO Board will be coming up in May. Please look for a ballot in your student's blue folder mid-April. All positions are open for election (President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer), as well as many committee chair positions. Descriptions of these positions will be included on the ballot. Ballots will be due back by early May, and elections will take place at the May PTO Meeting. Please nominate yourself or someone you know for this great organization! Thank you for your support! If you have any questions, please contact the HMES PTO at firstname.lastname@example.org"
Notes from the Nurse……..
The booster dose tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) vaccine is required for all children entering the 6th grade. Please send the documentation of this vaccine to the school nurse. We will notify your child’s middle school that he/she has received the vaccine. Your child will not be admitted to 6th grade on the first day of school without proof of the Tdap booster.
2019 PWCS Arts Festival
Saturday April 27th from 10am-4pm
Colgan High School
138 Dumfries Rd.
Manassas, VA 20112
This is a free event and is a wonderful way to support our talented artists throughout PWCS.
All Haymarket participating students will recieve an invitation from Ms. Rop if their artwork was chosen to be in this year's festival event.
5 Surprising Facts about Strawberries
1. Strawberries are high in vitamin C and fiber. Vitamin C is important for growing and repairing tissue as well as wound healing, while fiber is used by the body for digestion.
2. There are about 200 seeds on the outside of the average strawberry. Because strawberries have seeds on the outside, plant scientists do not consider strawberries to be real berries. Berries, like blue berries and raspberries, have their seeds on the inside.
3. Strawberries belong to the rose family. A strawberry plant has a nice fragrant smell just like strawberries.
4. Every state in the U.S. grows strawberries. However, California alone produces 75% of the strawberry crops used in the United States. Prince William County Public Schools (PWCS) serves local, Virginia strawberries whenever available!
5. Over half of a strawberry plant’s roots are found in the top three inches of soil. The plant’s roots stay close to the top so they can spread out above the soil and form more plants.
You can find fresh strawberries in PWCS cafeterias all year long. Come join us for lunch and try some!
Yearbooks on Sale!
This yearbook for this school year is still available online!!
please visit www.ybpay.lifetouch.com and enter our school code of 13276219
The book price is $21 and additional options are available online.
Don't wait...this years yearbook will be full of fun memories that you child has shared with their classmates and friends throughout our school year!!
Dates to Remember
April 4 - KG Registration -10am-3pm & 5pm-7pm (gym)
April 8-12 - Book Fair
April 8-12 - PTO Sponsored Food Drive
April 9 - Family Literacy Night and Book Fair Family Night (6pm-8pm)
April 11 - KG Registration - 10am-3pm (gym)
April 12 - PTO Spirit Day: Crazy hair day
April 15-19 - Spring Break
April 23 - PTO Meeting 6:30pm
April 29 – Muffins with Mom (A-F)
May1 - Muffins with Mom (G-N)
May 3 - Muffins with mom (O-Z)