EDMS Community Newsletter
September 14th, 2020
We are now officially halfway through 1st Quarter! It seems like it has gone by very quickly as we are already at Progress Report time. Progress Reports will be mailed home at the end of this week but you are always able to see your student's progress via Homelink. We are so appreciative of the way all of you at home have taken on the challenge of supporting your students with the space, structure, and tools to learn. Daily we are impressed by our students' engagement and effort to learn. One of only a few PFC Fundraisers we hold kicks off this week. Be sure to check out below for more information. Thanks to everyone who came out for Taco Tuesday at Cinco de Mayo! They said they always love supporting EDMS for the amazing turn out they get each time.
Parent EDU Trainings
Please see the link below for Parent EDU trainings being offered through the district. The flyer has dates and times for the upcoming week.
*If you know of someone who does not receive this newsletter, have them visit our school website here and fill in their email address to subscribe to it.
Students, join our amazing counselors, Ms. Grant and Ms. Finch for Wellness Wednesdays. See below for how to join. See you there!6th Grade Wellness Wednesday, 11:35 AM
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 840 7274 3217
7th Grade Wellness Wednesday, 12:10 PM
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 838 4875 5718
8th Grade Wellness Wednesday, 12:45-1:15 .
Meeting ID: 948 878 4284
Reporting and Clearing Absences [REPOST]
Students shall attend all classes and activities to which they are assigned. If a student does not attend his/her assigned class or activity, the absence shall be reported to the attendance secretary. When a student’s absence from school and/or class is not cleared, the parent / guardian will be notified.
All-Day & Partial Day Absences
must be cleared within 3 school days.
Call the El Dorado ABSENCE LINE
Leave the following information on the voicemail:
Student’s name (Always SPELL the last name)
Reason for Absence (required)
Date(s) of absence(s)
Person & relationship making the call (Please SPELL the last name)
Your BEST daytime phone number
More than 12 excused absences due to illness in a school year is considered excess (AR5113); verification by a physician will be required for subsequent absences due to illness or medical appointments.
VALID EXCUSES FOR ABSENCES (CA EdCode 48205/ MDUSD BP/AR 5113)
Illness or injury of the student
Medical, dental, optometrical, or chiropractic appointments
Student attendance at a funeral service
Quarantine imposed by a city or county health official
Unexcused absences that the school should be notified of:
Always check your HomeLink account under Attendance. If there is an “A” code, please call EDMS to either clear the Absence or inquire regarding the reason for the codes.
Attendance Codes used during Distance Learning
Teachers are recording your child's attendance through the codes provided by CA State to represent their highest level of participation for that day:
P = Present: Online synchronous instruction, 1:1 office hours
- 4 = Online Activity: Completed a test, turning in assignments, etc
- 3 = Communication w/ Certificated Staff: 2-way communication with student and/or parent online or by email
- A = Absent (none of the above engagement)
- 6 = Support Service Access: Speech Therapy, OT, PT, Counseling
While "IN" Class...
- It is important for your child to understand they are "in class" and our school rules exist.
- Students may not take pictures of the screen, of their classmates or the teacher, and distribute through any unapproved media (anything not teacher directed). This includes all social media posting.
- School discipline will occur, which may include suspension of your rights to digital access as well as suspension from a class.
Responsible Use Policy
- Responsible uses of technology are devoted to activities that support teaching and learning. The following items constitute our agreement about the use of technology in the schools of Mt. Diablo Unified School District.
- Students using online tools such as but not limited to Docs, MDUSD Google Apps for Education (GAFE), blogs, and podcasts are considered an extension of the classroom. Therefore, any speech that is considered inappropriate in the classroom is also inappropriate in all uses of blogs, podcasts, or other online tools. This includes—but is not limited to—profane, racist, sexist, or discriminatory remarks.
- These are examples of inappropriate activity on the MDUSD network, but MDUSD reserves the right to take immediate action regarding activities
- that create security and/or safety issues for the MDUSD network, Users, schools, network or computer resources;
- that expend MDUSD resources on content it determines lacks legitimate educational content/purpose; or
- other activities as determined by MDUSD as inappropriate.
Technology and Chromebook Support [click below]
Thursday, Sept 17th: MDUSD Parent Academy: Participating in a Virtual IEP 7-8pm
Monday, Sept 21st: MDUSD Parent Academy: Overcoming Fear Factors 3-4pm
Wednesday, Sept 23rd: PFC Meeting 5:30
Tuesday, Sept 29th: MDUSD Parent Academy: Social/Emotional Skills 3-4pm
Wednesday, Sept 30: Coffee w/ Clausen 9:00am