Francis Howell Education Association
A Message from the President
I want to thank all of you for your commitment to teaching and learning. We continue to be successful, no matter what obstacles are put in our paths, because we put students first. Soon, testing will be over and another class of students will graduate. We will have a very short break to collect our thoughts and plan for the next group of learners. I want to share with you a quote from Tony Robbins that has inspired me and will hopefully inspire you as well, "Stay committed to your decisions; but stay flexible in your approach." This reminds me of the teaching I see when I am in buildings and the conversations I have with educators in this school district. Again, thank you for giving me the opportunity to represent the best teachers ever. Have a wonderful rest of the school year.
President- Anita Kuehner
1st Vice President- Francine Hill
2nd Vice President- Paul Twombly
Treasurer- Donna Malkmus
Secretary- Pat Zeitz
Political Action Director- Susan NiederbergerThese officers will be in office from July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2019.
Congratulations to the following Members at Large:
1. Anne McPartland
2. Grace Clifford
3. Sarah Clark
1. Angela Wheelehan
2. Bev Lofton
3. Paul Otto
1. Erin O’Sullivan
2. Dana King
3. Jill Kelly
1. Tracy Horn
Thank you for your service!
Congratulations to Howell of Fame Recipients Dana Fehr, Brenda Albers (pictured above), and Vicki Readenour (pictured below)!
Member Spotlight- Vicki Readenour
Congratulations to Vicki Readenour on her retirement!
Vicki is a fifth grade teacher at Becky-David Elementary school and has been a member of FHEA since 1985! She is very active in the Francis Howell School District community. In addition to teaching in the district for over thirty years, she has also taken a leadership role in FHEA by serving as a member at large on the executive cabinet and as a building representative.
Vicki is tireless in her advocacy for students, teachers, and the Francis Howell community. She has served on many district and building-level committees. She does not just sit idly on district committees, but is an active and engaged member, and her opinion is sought and valued. Her passion for teaching and making a difference is inspiring. She is the kind of person that makes you want to be your best self and you know it’s possible with her help and guidance. The teachers of this district at all levels have benefited from her involvement. Vicki has been recognized with many awards throughout her career, including Teacher of the Year and as a Howell of Fame recipient.
In addition to being a rock star teacher, Vicki is married, has raised her two children in FHSD, and is actively involved with her grandson, Teddy. Thank you, Vicki, for being a great teacher, role model, supportive person, funny lady, and mentor! You will be missed!
Thank you for your service and best of luck in your retirement!
The Cat in the Hat
The Cat in the Hat visited Meadows Parkway as part of Read Across America
Missouri NEA president, Charles Smith, reads to students at Meadows Parkway
Friends of Children
Friends of Children will be holding a raffle to raise funds at the District Kickoff Celebration on August 3, 2016. FOC is accepting baskets for the raffle. Please email Dana King at email@example.com with a description of the basket you plan to donate. Pre-printed raffle tickets are on sale now! Please send checks made out to Friends of Children to Dana King at Meadows Parkway. Please include your building on the check.
36 tickets for $25
42 tickets for $30
75 tickets for $50
115 tickets for $75
150 tickets for $100
Thank you for your help supporting the students and families of FHSD!
Attend MNEA's Jump Start to National Board Certification
Why attend MNEA's Jump Start to National Board Certification?
In a conversation with some seasoned NBCT candidate support group facilitators, the following question came up: "If you had the luxury of several days to work with National Board candidates before they started the certification process, what things do you think would be most helpful to them?" We think you'll like their answer.
Jump Start is an intensive summer seminar geared for teachers pursuing National Board Certification.
This workshop is for candidates who plan to submit any components of National Board Certification in the 2016-2017 school year. Find out more about National Board Certification at www.boardcertifiedteachers.org.
Missouri NEA's Jump Start to National Board Certification
June 25-27, 2016
Bring your standards, portfolio instructions, laptop computer and personal calendar with you.
Day 1, Sat., June 25, 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Foundations of National Board Certification
Day 2, Sun., June 26, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Components 1 and 2
Day 3, Mon., June 27, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Components 3 and 4
First time Jump Start attendees must attend Day 1. If you attended Jump Start in 2014 or 2015, you may opt to attend Day 2 and/or Day 3 only.
Registration fee includes hotel room, (double occupancy), breakfast, lunch, and seminar materials. Details on registration form.
Deadline to register is May 31. Registration will close sooner if capacity is reached, as space is limited. Minimum number of participants must register in order to offer this training. Complete the registration form. If paying by check, mail the form with the check. If paying by credit/debit card, complete the form and email or fax it, then call in the credit/debit card number. Details on form.
Questions? Call Becky Stewart at 800-392-0236, ext. 606.
Happy Teacher Appreciation Week! May 2nd through 6th
Sick Leave Bank
Per policy, days can be donated to the sick leave bank between June 15 and July 15 (Regulation 4323 CR). The language in the Regulation states, “All eligible employees may voluntarily donate additional sick days from their individual sick leave bank between June 15-July 15 of each calendar year.”
· On or around June 15, an email is sent to all certified staff notifying them that they may voluntarily donate additional days to the sick leave bank (if they are a part of the bank). Notification of a decision by employees to donate days must be received in the Human Resources (HR) office by July 15.
· Donated days are tabulated by HR and a list is made of all employees, and the number of days they desire to donate. That list is sent to payroll to have the number of donated days subtracted from the individual employees’ sick leave balance.
· Subsequent to the step above, every employee is awarded 11 sick days, up to a 100 day limit (the system will award the number of days, up to 11, that will not allow the employee to accumulate in excess of 100 days).
· Retirees would need to make a donation the year before they retire; by policy, the window for donation is June 15-July 15, and June 15 is subsequent to employees’ last day of work with the District. Also, unused sick days are paid out on the June 25 pay.
If at first you don’t succeed. . .call FHEA. When FHN needed help presenting staff concerns about the air quality at school, we called in Anita Kuehner and Lisa Blaha. Anita and Lisa took our concerns seriously and provided a voice for staff at FHN. She immediately coordinated her efforts with with the FHSD Facilities Director Jeremy Boettler. Jeremy took teacher concerns seriously, and took timely action to help teachers at FHN. The end result to the coordinated effort is a repaired system that now puts fresh circulated air throughout the building. Along with the immediate repairs, the Facilities crew is meeting with teachers on an ongoing basis and taking corrective action on concerns. With new efforts on old concerns, teachers at FHN are breathing easier.
- Huge shout out to Susan Niederberger for all of the time and energy she put into the latest FHSD school board election! Thank you for your time and leadership!
- Way to go, FHN NHS! Under the leadership of Donna Malkmus and Angie Mason they have collected over 400lbs of dog food and 30 kitty litter containers for the 5 Acres Animal Shelter, as well as collecting over 500 pairs of shoes for the Shoemania Water Project! Great job!
- Thank you to everyone who volunteered time on the latest board election! We filled over 40 polling places with FHEA members!
- Congratulations to Susan Adams! She has earned her doctorate in educational leadership! Your hard work and dedication to being your best self is awesome! #fhsdlearns
- Thank you, Lisa Blaha! You did an amazing job coordinating efforts for the FHSD board election! You're the best!
- Thank you, building representatives! Your time and work to communicate are appreciated!