Developing Lifelong Learners Who Grow, Lead and Inspire
Week of May 1, 2016
Good-bye Internship. Hello Teaching Career!
Relay for Life--Kindergarten Service Project
Next week Kindergarten is hosting a spirit week as a fundraiser to kick off our relay recess campaign.The actual Relay Recess event will take place the morning of May 18th. Please be on the look out for a sign up genius soon. Listed below you will find the theme for each day. Thanks for all of your help!
Kids can make a difference in the fight against cancer in our community!
Southside Elementary is raising money to support the American Cancer Society. Please send your money in the attached envelope by May 6th.
Students will participate in a fundraising spirit week May 2-6, each day will have a theme.
Here is the schedule:
Monday: Pajamas - Wake up to fight against cancer
Tuesday: Workout clothes- Keeping fit to fight cancer
Wednesday: Wear purple to celebrate hope
Thursday: Luau clothes - block out the sun to prevent sun cancer
Friday- Western wear - stomp out cancer
- For every dollar raised your name will be written on a “relay foot”
- The top 25 fundraisers for the school will receive a prize
- For every $20 raised your name will go into a drawing to pie a teacher in the face.
KPREP Updates, Meetings and Requests
Reminder from Mrs. Plottner:
- Lesson Plans are due by 3:00pm on May 4th for May 10 – May 16.
- All content related items/material must be covered/removed from the walls, hallways, and common areas by 3:00pm on May 4th. Every room except K-2 homerooms will be used for testing this year.
- Leader in Me Posters that have definitions on them (for example – what each habit means) must be covered/removed. This includes the 7 Habits tree posters and our 7 habits display on the first floor.
Attention all Accommodators:
Please meet in the library at 7:45am on May 6 during morning meeting so that you can look at the folders and ask any questions you may have. We will also be discussing how each morning will operate during the KPREP window.
Tiger Cubs - Incoming!
Program Review Kudos
Erin Jump/Makenzi Hunter Arts and Humanities
Sara Fitzpatrick PL/VS
Kara Clark/Amanda Atkins Writing
Sylvia Starkey K-3 Primary
Meredith Morrison/Pilar Gomez World Language/Global Competency (baseline year)
Program Reviews will serve a number of purposes, which include
- improving the quality teaching and learning for all students in all programs
- allowing equal access to all students the skills that will assist them in being productive citizens
- allowing student demonstration of understanding beyond a paper-and-pencil test
- ensuring a school-wide natural integration of the program skills across all contents, beyond the program areas (Kentucky Department of Education website)
Each year it is such a pleasure to read and contribute to the work done by each PR Committee to highlight the programming we are currently providing our students in all 5 areas. Your reflection, organization and goal setting for future growth in our programs is awesome! Thanks to everyone for their contributions to another successful program review cycle!
Letter to Nana
This little note was left in a classroom cubbie.
Thanks to EVERYONE for making Southside a place students love!
I had a good day at school. It feels like I am at home but I am not. So you come to my school. Oh no. I forgot you have work like I do but school is work for me. Oh Nana, do you have $5 so I can get a shirt for Southside? Please, Nana. I love Southside. My mom took me back to my old school. They love me at this school and I have too much friends for me to leave. I love this school. Wish you was here.
This Week at Southside
May 2- 6 SOUTHSIDE DOWNS-- SSE Teacher Appreciation Week!
Monday, May 2--Chow Wagon--Snacks in Lounges
- Program Reviews DUE Complete in ASSIST
- CenterStage Acting Out Assembly 1:00 (Gym)
- Pilot Program Planning/Discussion 2:30-3:30 (Conference)
- EL Homework Help w/ Paula and Marta (2:45-4:00)
Tuesday, May 3-Drink Stations
- Derby Luncheon Staff Potluck
- Bindu Sunil at Southside for Math Coaching/CoTeaching
- Preschool Transition Groups: AM/PM
- Tuesday Folders go home
- Staff Meeting: Discussions from Dialogue Sessions
- Micro Clinic 4:00-5:00 - (Library)
Wednesday, May 4-Celebrity Day (Notes of Thanks)
Krista Mornar OUT 1:00-3:00 @CO
- ABRI Coding Day
- Wellness Committee Meeting 2:45-3:45 (Conference Room)
- Student Lighthouse Team Meeting
- National Bike to School Day
- All Student Work Removed from Bulletin Boards--Please leave all butcher paper and border up for Art Show displays
Thursday, May 5-Hot Trot Luncheon
- Titan Tutors Final Day: Fun in Gym 7:15-7:45
- Data Teams during planning
Friday, May 6-The Big Race (Hats/Bow Ties --Horse racing at morning meeting)
Krista Mornar OUT
- School wide Morning Meeting (Gym) and Relay for Life Kick Off
- KPREP Pep Rally 1:00 (Gym) Gradess 3-5 only
- Building Walk Through for KPREP preparation 2:45
May 7 Derby Day
May 8 Mother's Day
May 9 First Grade Field Trip to Beckley Park
May 10-16 KPREP Testing in Grades 3, 4, and 5--Please put into newsletters!
May 12 Dr. Neihof at SSE for Southside Conversations during planning (Conference Room)
Team Lead Meeting 3:00 (Conference Room)
SBDM 4:00 (Conference Room)
May 17 Election Day NO SCHOOL
May 19 New Teacher Session 2:45 (Grider's room)
SSE Art Show 5:30
Meet Me in the Middle (5th grade students only) @WMS 6:00
May 20 Author Study presentations @ Morning Meeting
LAST DAY for field trips using district buses
KPREP Good Faith Effort Party 1:00 Outside
May 23 5th Grade Annual Field Trip to Indianapolis Childrens Museum
Puppeteer Assembly (details to come)
May 24 Southside Field Day
May 25 Southside Field Day Rain Date
Perfect Attendance Lunch 10:30-12:30
Summer Books go home in classrooms
May 26 5th Grade Graduation 12:00 @ The Blair Center
May 27 Last Day of School
K-4 Awards Ceremony 8:00 (Gym)
May 30 Memorial Day
May 31 Closing Day for Teachers