GES Welcome Back to School
IMPORTANT DATES: Mark Your Calendar
July 26: 2:30-6:30 PM
Optional Self Guided Tour Afternoon: Come walk the building and explore Geist Elementary with the whole family.
July 30: 4:00-7:00 PM
Before the Bell Kickoff: Visit the GES Table at Nickel Plate downtown Fishers with the whole family and enjoy face paint, food trucks, giveaways, school bus tours & more.
Aug 3 - First Day of School
School hours are 7:40-2:10
Meet the Teacher Nights
Aug 1 Kindergarten Meet the Teacher Night (open to Students and Parents/Guardians)
6:00 –7:00 pm
Aug 8 1st-4th Grades, Exceptional Learners Program Parent Night (Parents/Guardians only please)
- 5:30-6:15 pm 1st & 2nd Grades
- 6:00-6:30 pm CFL & Life Skills
- 6:00-6:30 pm Exceptional Learners (Resource, SLP, ENL) and Related Arts teachers will be available for questions.
- 6:30-7:15 pm 3rd & 4th Grades
Class Assignments, Bus Stops and Skyward
Classroom teachers and bus stop information will be released on Friday, July 29th at 4 PM. Please login to Skyward to ensure your phone number, address, email and personal information is accurate.
Back to School Forms must be completed in Skyward each year for every child.
This is where you can update health information and give permission for nurse visits etc. It is very important each step is complete for your child's enrollment this school year. You will know you have completed the online forms because each step will have a green check mark before you submit.
Car Riders Procedures and Map
Student car line dismissal will begin when school staff arrive outside around 7:30 am at Door 11. Please wait for the adult.
Please review the car-rider map and familiarize yourself with the traffic patterns and procedures. Drivers enter via the east drive and exit via the west drive as indicated on the map (pictured).
Parents are asked to line up in our car rider line and remain in the vehicle. Students exit and enter the vehicle via the door closest to the sidewalk (driver's side). School staff members will greet and dismiss students in groups as cars proceed through the line. At pick-up if you need extra time for your child to buckle their seatbelt, please pull forward to the end of the driveway and stop so that additional cars may be loaded with students.
Afternoon car riders and walkers will be directed to the gym at dismissal. Drivers are asked to display a letter size paper with the child's full name in bold black letters.
If your student arrives after 7:40 am and there are no staff members outside you must bring them in through Door 1 and sign them in at the office.
Reporting Absences, Late Arrivals, Leaving Early
If your child will be late to school or absent you are asked to call the school office by 8:00 am. The phone number is 317-915-4260.
Voicemail is available 24 hours to leave messages. Extended absences may be reported using the prearranged absence form here.
If your child is leaving early please send a note to the teacher. We will call the student to the office when you arrive. Early pickups will stop at 1:55.
School Dismissal Manager - How is Your Child Going Home?
School Dismissal Manager is an app-based program that we at GES use to help get children home from school each day. Parents are strongly encouraged to visit www.schooldismissalmanager.com to view tutorials and learn how the system operates.
Login information will be sent to parents next week.
What should you plan to do soon?
- Locate your email from the SDM system directly with your "Parent Credentials" including login and password information. Emails will be sent next week.
- Click on the link in that email to access the login page via web browser.
- Set a new password and save your login and password.
- Check/Set the default from the list for your child that you would like used. (If your child's option isn't listed, please contact Ellen Cross in our front office.)
- If your child has different dismissals for different days, please set one default and set a recurring "exception" for the off days. (For example, my child's default is a car rider but I would like them to go to the YMCA every Wednesday. I would set the default as car rider and make a recurring exception for Wednesdays as YMCA.)
- A notification will be sent to our main office that your default has been set. You will receive a reminder the night before defaults lock in the system and can only be changed by the main office moving forward.
What do I need to do after my default dismissal is set?
- You would only need to log in again to make a change to dismissal, called an "exception."
- A one time exception does NOT change the locked default. For example, a dentist appointment may be scheduled and you would like to pick your child up instead of have them ride the bus. You would login and create an exception just for that day from "BUS" to "CAR RIDER."
- The teacher is automatically notified and a note/email or phone call is no longer required.
- All exceptions must be made by 1 PM daily. If a change is needed after 1 PM, a call to the front office would be required to ensure the teacher is notified. Teachers will be instructed to go by their daily School Dismissal Manager report for all dismissal directions.
Visitors and Volunteers: Safe Visitor Badge
All visitors must check in at the Geist Elementary office upon arrival and departure.
If you wish to chaperone a field trip or participate in a classroom activity you must have a valid Safe Visitor Badge (background check) on file with HSE Schools. The badges are valid for 3 years and are good at all HSE Schools. If you wish to check the status of your badge please call the school office.
Background checks take about a week to process so please plan accordingly.
Please visit the HSE Schools website to learn more and apply for a Safe Visitor Badge. http://www.hseschools.org.
Lunch Money, iPad and Book Fees
This school year, meal prices will resume. The funding allowing us to offer free breakfasts and lunches to our students during the COVID-19 pandemic has expired.
Check out the HSE Schools Food Services page for more information, including menus, prices and payments. NOTE: Menu, pricing and calendar will be updated by July 29.
iPads/Bring Your Own Device:
Students are required to have an iPad for school. You may purchase your own or rent one from school. The rental fee is $80 per year. Please visit the Technology in the Classroom page to read about device specs and rental information.
Book and iPad rental fees will be posted in your Skyward account after school begins.
Payments may be made by cash, check or online via efunds. Click here to learn about efunds.
Hamilton Southeastern Schools participates in the National School Lunch Program which provides free or reduced-price meals, and textbook/technology fee assistance to qualifying students. Families must re-apply for these benefits each year, even if you qualified previously. Applications and participation are confidential. Free and Reduced benefits for meals, books and iPads are available here.
Picture Day is August 15
Picture Day is Aug 15, 2022
Order Online: Inter-state.com/order
Use Order Code
Communications from School and Skyward Family Access
Geist Elementary and HSE Schools communicate regularly with families. Most information will be sent electronically via ParentSquare. Check your student's Skyward account to confirm that your email address, phone numbers and communication preferences are correct.
Skyward Family Access: Grades, contact and other information is available on Skyward Family Access. Click here to learn about Skyward.
Website: Visit ges.hseschools.org and hseschools.org.
Geist Gazette: Our newsletter is published every two weeks. It will be posted on ParentSquare and our website.
Parent Square Alerts (replacing Skylert)
- HSE has made the switch from Skylert to ParentSquare for our mass communication platform. Families will receive ParentSquare email notifications to the email address listed in skyward and may opt in for phone/text messages. (Please update your personal information in Skyward.)
- We recommend downloading the ParentSquare app from the Apple or Google Play store. With the app, you can enable push notifications on your phone for alerts as well.
- ParentSquare has more features than Skylert that can help with streamlining communication to you. Each alert will be emailed to your inbox just like Skylerts even if you preview the thread on the App. Stay tuned for more information.
Geist Elementary PTO
We are fortunate to have the best volunteers in the district! The money raised through our PTO activities each school year helps to fund each of our teachers' classrooms with much needed supplies, books and curriculum support materials. During previous school years each grade level received grant money to support special projects and activities throughout the year. In addition, the funds raised via the PTO support our programming throughout the year including Winter Celebration, Science Fair and Science Night, Everybody Counts, Earth Day, Staff & Volunteer Appreciation and so much more.
Learn more about the Geist PTO on our website. The PTO Corner newsletter will be sent via email every two weeks. Follow the Geist PTO on Facebook.
YMCA Before & After School Care - Currently at Capacity
Before & After School Care is provided at GES through the YMCA. To register or for information please contact them directly at 317-577-2070 or www.indymca.org.
The YMCA is currently full. Please follow instructions to add your name to the waitlist.
If your child is enrolled in the YMCA program, be sure to contact the YMCA IN ADDITION TO THE SCHOOL if your child will be absent or have different care arrangements on a certain day.
You can search our school calendar by date or activity or just read the list for the next week. Call us if you have questions about items on the calendar.
HSE Schools Community Insider
Check out opportunities and activities on the HSE Community Insider on the HSE Schools webpage. You can find it here: hseschools.org/happenings/community-insider