Ms. Wertheim's Little Leaders
News and Resources from Room 203
December 14 through December 18, 2015 ❄️
Hi Room 203 families! I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. I am looking forward to a fun-filled week before winter break begins.
Important Dates and Reminders 📌
- Wednesday, Dec. 16th - Our class will visit the Penguin Patch Holiday Shoppe. This is a wonderful way for students to purchase gifts for family members. All items in the shoppe will be very reasonably priced. Please email me if you have any questions about the holiday shop.
- Wednesday, Dec. 16: Winter Dance for grades 3 through 5: 3:30-4:45
- Thursday, Dec. 17th at 6 pm: Claxton Holiday Concert (there was a change to the originally scheduled date). OUR CLASS IS PERFORMING in this concert :) Please bring your child to our classroom by 5:45, dressed in dark/black pants and a white top.
Snapshots of Learning ✏️
What we're learning about this week 📚
- Reading- We are working on making inferences and using pictures and diagrams to help understand the text.
- Writing- We are continuing guided research and All About Books on States of Matter. We will also begin a fun holiday Reader's Theater.
- Math- We are continuing addition and subtraction within 100. This week we will focus on two strategies: base ten blocks and open number line strategy. Here is excellent number line practice from Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/math/early-math/cc-early-math-add-sub-100/cc-early-math-strategies-for-adding-within-100/e/add-sub-within-100-w-num-line
- FUNdations- We are continuing Unit 7, which teaches a new syllable type: the Open Syllable. This is a syllable which has a vowel at the end, and the vowel is long. Our keywords for the open syllable are: acorn, me, hi, no, pupil, flu, cry. A detailed description of this syllable type and other syllable types is attached to their FUNdations homework packet. For a video tutorial on marking base words and suffixes, please visit the Fundations page on my blog: http://mswertheim.blogspot.com/p/reading.html .
- Science- Students will explore different states of matter and conduct experiments to observe how matter changes through heating, cooling, and evaporation.
- Social Studies- We are lesrning about holidays around the world.
Wish List 🌟
- Tab dividers for our Leadership Notebooks
- Snack (healthy options please) We are running low! Pre-packaged snacks such as fruit snacks or granola bars are so helpful to pass out snack quickly :)
Class Dojo, Behavior Assessments, and Homework 📓
Behavior assessments are filled out each day by your child. I am so proud of their self-reflection skills! They've done an excellent job with their self-assessments so far. Please be sure to discuss their achievements with them and sign the assessment each evening.
Homework this week consists of:
- Read each night for 20 minutes and fill out reading log/Bingo board
- Math packet (due Friday)
We will begin reading responses next week.