Jaguar Band Newsletter
Your Place For Jaguar Band News
October 21st - October 27th
Message From Mr. Lucita
HaysCISD Marching Festival
Get your limited edition jOURney shirt!
Help Wanted: Pit Crew and Meal Pick Up and Serve
Helpful Reminders For Game Days
2 Week Practice Schedule
Competition Send Offs
You can still Purchase a Football Program Ad to Celebrate Your Student!
How To Sign Up With VIPS District Volunteer Program and Log Hours
Sync Your Calendar
How To Sign Up For Remind 101
From Mr. Lucita
As we are reaching the end of the marching season, our Jaguar Band continues to work hard and finish strong. This weekend our band participated in their first UIL marching contest! We left Giddings HS Saturday evening with straight 1’s (Superior Ratings)! The judges were extremely complimentary of our performance.
Judge Rocky Harris states: “This is a well taught group”, “Congratulations to you, your parents, your directors and your community for a great performance today”!
Judge Richard Hooper states: “Outstanding!” “Awesome!” “Well conceived show that was enthusiastically executed! Bravo”
Judge Jon Schriver states: “Many outstanding musicians”, “Incredible Musical performance with amazing control and dynamics”, “Fantastic job today”!
As we wrap up this weekend we look forward to this coming week and the exciting items that are headed our way! This week we have the Hays CISD Marching Fest on Wednesday in which we get to see every Hays CISD band student grades 7-12. Monday starts the “Johnson Java” Band Coffee fundraiser which is the band's only fall fundraiser. Coffee is something so many people enjoy! This sale happens just in time for Thanksgiving gatherings and for presents in December! To wrap up this week we have our Thursday night home football game!!
I know I state it each week, however, I can NEVER state it enough! Thank you to our wonderful parents who work so hard and in so many ways to help us be successful!!
1st-ever Hays CISD Marching Festival!
* We are still needing Pit Crew volunteers for this event! Help us make sure our band has all the help they need at this community event! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0848aba62ca57-proppit
Wear your jOURney Shirts to the HaysCISD Marching Festival!
Please note that this is for parent/family shirts only and a limited quantity is available. (Shirts are $15 and are Bella Canvas style/brand)
Order yours before they are gone! https://www.johnsonbands.com/product-page/2019-show-shirt-parent-only
Students have all received a complimentary show shirt courtesy of the Band Boosters!
Student shirts are black and Parent/family shirts are royal blue. Both have 2019 show dates on the back.
Calling ALL Jaguar Band Families!
We have an amazing show and need help loading/unloading trailer and setting up equipment and props on the field. At competitions, this needs to be done in a certain time frame so the more help we have, the better! No experience is necessary! Things to think about...
- You do not have to commit to all games and/or competitions - you can sign up for as many or as few as you are available for.
- Please keep in mind that volunteers will have to do physical activity, including running and pushing/pulling heavy equipment. Work gloves are recommended.
- Make sure to get your Pit Crew shirt! Cost is $10.
- If you volunteer on Pit Crew, the cost of your ticket is covered with a field pass and the boosters will cover your meals during competition days! Please know that in order to ensure you receive a field pass, you MUST be signed up on the sign-up genius!
If you are interested in helping on the Pit Crew, please sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0848ABA62CA57-proppit
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or text/call Clover Clamons at 512-468-8319.
Please help your student with SHOW HAIR
** It is highly recommended that you assist your student with his/her hair before he/she arrives at the band hall (ready for inspection). If your student needs help with hair, they must bring their own products (comb, gel, bobby pins, bun makers, bun hair nets, etc.) and arrive in the hair room (library) no later than 15 minutes before inspection.
Show hair guidelines:
Hair needs to be in a bun, braids, or neatly pinned up. This is for ALL hair length, even those with shorter hair must have their hair up and back. Be sure to wet hair, use gel, a comb and bobby pins. We also recommend donut bun makers and bun hair nets to keep buns in place. The BOYS that have a regular length haircut simply need to apply some product (gel, spray, etc.) in an effort to keep it styled and neat. Those with long hair will need to pull it up and back. In an email sent on 9/16 through Charms there were 3 video examples of show hair (this was email with show hair info and info about Seguin game).
Game Day AND Competition Day Meals
THANK YOU to the volunteers who helped with game day and Texas Marching Classic meals last week!
Please know that on competition days we serve the students lunch and dinner. So we need help to serve meals TWICE on those days. If you sign up for meal plans, please do not also sign up for Pit Crew.
If you don't have a background check filed with Hays as a volunteer, please click below to get it started. The times are subject to change as I figure out when the kids need to be fed.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Volunteer Background Check:
Sign Up Genius to Volunteer on GAME DAYS:
Sign Up Genius to Volunteer on COMPETITION DAYS:
2 Week Practice Schedule At A Glance
Monday, 10/21: 4:45 pm - 7:45 pm
Tuesday, 10/22: 4:45 pm - 645 pm
Thursday, 10/24: 7:00 am - 8:00 am
Friday, 10/25: 4:45 pm - 6:45 pm
Monday, 10/28: 4:45 pm - 7:45 pm
Tuesday, 10/29: 4:45 pm - 7:45 pm
Wednesday, 10/30: 4:45 pm - 6:45 pm
Thursday, 10/31: 7:00 am - 8:00 am
Competition Send Off's
Be sure to follow us on Facebook so that you know when to join us next Saturday as the band drives to the UIL competition.
We meet up at Dahlstrom MS and you can either bring a sign, use one of the extra signs we have available or just wave and cheer - we just want you there!
The schedule for Saturday isn't available at the time this newsletter is published but as soon as it is and we schedule send-off, it will be posted on Facebook. Hope to see you there!
Helpful and Important Reminders For Game and Competition Days (UPDATED, PLEASE READ)
- SUMMER UNIFORM: Black band polo, khaki shorts, black belt, short socks, cap, band shoes.
- FULL UNIFORM: Black compression shorts, black band dri-fit, tall black socks, band shoes.
- ALL uniform pieces are REQUIRED.
- Please note that different socks are required for Summer vs Full uniform.
- Always pack/store uniform parts back in ONE bag so that it is ready for the next game or competition
- Please see above regarding "show hair".
- Students should pack (and be encouraged to use) deodorant. Game days are long and hot!
- Label caps, shoes (initials on the label on the inside of shoes), shirts, shorts, belts (anything they are changing in to and out of). If we find these items we have no way of knowing who to return them to. With so many kids changing and carrying their clothes around, stuff inevitably gets dropped or left behind. Paint pens (these come in all colors including silver or gold which can be seen on black) or Sharpie laundry markers work best for this. Any other pen or marker will rub off.
10/23: 7:00 pm: Hays CISD Marching Festival
10/24: 7:00 pm: Home Game vs Central Catholic
10/31: 7:00 pm: Away Game vs Seguin
11/1: BOA Super Regional @ Alamodome
11/2: BOA Finals @ Alamodome
11/2: REMO Series Finale Marching Festival @ Kelly Reeves (if we do not get on the schedule for BOA San Antonio. We are currently 2nd on the wait list. We should know sometime this week.)
11/7: 7:00 pm: Away Game vs Jarrell
11/9: TMEA Orchestra Winds/Percussion Auditions
11/15: TMEA Region Clinic/Concert
11/19: 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm: Band Boosters General Membership Meeting
11/21: TMEA 5A District Band Auditions
11/23: TMEA 5A District Band Auditions
11/25 - 11/29: Thanksgiving Break
* Please see the calendar on Charms or Band Booster website for details. Details below.
How to sign up with VIPS district volunteer program and log hours
V.I.P.S. (Volunteers in Public Schools) is required by HaysCISD for all volunteers that will be around students. Volunteers must be approved as a VIP volunteer BEFORE volunteering.
TO SIGN UP:
- From www.hayscisd.net choose Community> Become a Hays
- CISD volunteer.
- Follow the prompts given to complete the application.
- Our VIPS coordinator is Ms. Conder. When you visit the band hall, please see her immediately to get a name badge. Bring your driver’s license in for her to see.
TO LOG VOLUNTEER HOURS:
- Go to www.hayscisd.net
- Choose the “community” tab
- Click on “become a Hays CISD volunteer”
- Click on “VIPs Rewards”
- Click on “Log your VIPs Hours (volunteers)” and log in
- Click on the drop down menu on the left –“volunteer”
Sync Your Calendar to Charms!
Visit the Johnson Band Website for information on how to sync the Charms calendar to your phone. "How to sync" links are located above calendar. Just click on link appropriate for your type of phone!
How To Sign Up For Remind 101
To sign up for Remind 101 for band notifications:
- Send a text message to 81010 (enter this number where you would enter the phone number)
- The message will be @jagband19 (type this where you would type your text message)
- Hit "send"
- If you did this successfully, you will receive a text informing you that you signed up for the band remind messages.
Signing up for Remind for other clubs or classes will be similar. You will always send a text to 81010 but what you type into the text box will be different. For example, for an English class, it might be @smithsenglishclass.
Follow Us/Stay Connected
Remind 101 Full Band Code - Text @jagband19 to 81010
Remind 101 Parents Code - Text @jbparents to 81010
Remind 101 Pit Crew Code - Text @pitcrewja to 81010