Intermediate Staff Newsletter
For the week of January 22, 2018
The weather warm up has melted away the snow from the last week, so we are hopeful that this will help clear off the playground. With so many days of indoor recess in a row, please take time to review indoor recess options, rules, and expectations. We will try to offer a movement choice in the Common Spaces of each wing as we move forward. Thank you for your flexibility with the snow days and MAP testing. This week we will offer makeup testing in the Community Room on Monday and Tuesday that will begin after the morning announcements. If you have a student who needs to make up testing, please send them to the office with a laptop. You can check here to make sure you added them to the list. If you are going to test your own student, please indicate that on the list.
With the completion of this testing near, we will turn our attention to completing Winter Benchmark Assessments. If you teach ELA, please click here to learn about BAS and Diebels Assessments. We know that at times assessments can interrupt the flow of your instruction, but they are a great way for us to get a snapshot of the progress our students are making and drive instructional decisions for next steps. We will let you know when to print your MAP reports after the district window has closed. At that time we will include a date for sending home reports to parents.
Finally, we want to thank you for your flexibility since returning from Winter Break. With snow days, 2 hour delays and early dismissal you have all been wonderful at adjusting your schedules and keeping our students safe. Who knows what the weather in Ohio will do next, but we know that we can handle anything after the last few weeks! Your positivity, flexibility, and mindset make all the difference!
Have a great week!
Katie and Kate
Supporting our Students
Learning In Action
News to Share
When: Tuesday, February 13
9:20 - S and I Wings
10:30 - E and R Wings.
Where: McCoy Arts Center
The performances are 40 minutes. Specials schedules will not be interrupted. Specialists will meet your classes at the McCoy, that morning.
2. Please welcome two new Lunch Teachers this week, Susan Sarkisian and Julianna Yee who will start on Monday!
3. The Great Kindness Challenge is this week! As we kick off The Great Kindness Challenge here are a few ideas shared by Kelley Schubert:
- You might want to share this video about The GKC with students.
- Check out this folder of resources.
- Encourage students to complete the kindness activities on their checklists.
- Read a book about kindness.
- Participate in Spirit Week by changing up your typical professional apparel.
- The Kindness Boomerang video might be fun to share.
- Anything else that makes the week fun for the students and for you. (A little Sesame Street fun might be dorky....but it makes me smile.)
4. The NAIS Scholastic Book Fair runs this week January 22-26 and is open during Eagle Period, the Books & Breakfast event on Tuesday-Friday from 7am-9am, and Thursday after school from 3:30-6:00pm. Due to the Breakfast and Books event this week, breakfast club will move to the upstairs cafe space on Tuesday-Friday. Please note we will have families in the building on Tuesday-Friday morning between 7am-9am. Email communication went out to all families this weekend, reminding them of the event and communciating about parking. This is what was communicated to families in regards to parking:
Special Parking Information for the Books and Breakfast Event:
For this special event, only this week, we will open the parking lot in front of NAIS that is also utilized for bus drop off. It is very important that you do not park curbside, but rather in the designated parking spots so as not to block buses as they drop students off. We will have our campus security and school resource officer assisting with traffic flow and parking for this event. In the event that this lot becomes full, other options for parking include the McCoy lot, and the very end section of the primary lot closest to Route 605. Please note most of the primary lot is reserved parking for staff, with some open spots closest to Route 605.
5. Mark your calendars for Friday February 2. We will have two short assemblies back to back that morning, with two wings attending at 9:15am, and two wings attending around 9:50am to kick off Jump Rope for Heart Campaign sponsored by the American Heart Association. Students will get to see a competitive jump rope team perform and hear about the Jump Rope for Heart campaign run through our Wellness teachers. Thanks to Coach Joe for organizing. More information to come soon.
Week at a Glance
Announcements: R-Wing- 6th Graders- See Pledge Schedule
Monday, Jan. 22nd- Building Leadership Team Meeting 8:30 Community Room
Tuesday, Jan. 23rd- Specialist Team Meeting; MTSS Core Team Meetings
Wednesday, Jan. 24th- 5th and 6th Grade ELA Meetings; 4th Grade Team Meeting; Pre Alg. A Meeting; 5th Grade Choir Concert
Thursday, Jan. 25th- Science, Math 6, Math 5, Social Studies 6 Meetings 8:30
Friday, Jan. 26th- MTSS Full Day Meeting